Author Topic: Waterproof Watches  (Read 13082 times)

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Waterproof Watches
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 10:20:23 AM »
I wear a G-shock Mud Man when paddling. It is a great watch that won't gouge your board when handling or falling.

Thats my biggest concern

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 10:48:06 AM »
You could buy 3 Timex Ironman's for the same price.  The batteries tend to crap out after a year and a half or so.  Never tried changing them, but I imagine its not impossible.

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 11:01:05 AM »
You could buy 3 Timex Ironman's for the same price.  The batteries tend to crap out after a year and a half or so.  Never tried changing them, but I imagine its not impossible.

Timex is more my price range, but found some sweet deals online for older model G-Shock and Shark Killers.

ENCINITAS_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »

[/quote]

Timex is more my price range, but found some sweet deals online for older model G-Shock and Shark Killers.
[/quote]

Same here, went with a freestyle Predator for $40, selling point was the fabric strap.  The rubber straps on my ironman watches deteriorated with exposure to sunscreen.

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 12:30:07 PM »

[/quote]

Same here, went with a freestyle Predator for $40, selling point was the fabric strap.  The rubber straps on my ironman watches deteriorated with exposure to sunscreen.
[/quote]

Good point too, never would have thought about that. I am leaning towards Freestlye Shark Killer. Its larger, smoother edges, and seems simple, but rubber strap thing my be a deal breaker. I have pale white Irish skin so lube up with tons of screen.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 12:51:11 PM »
Watches? You'd have to care what time it was to wear one. I carry my iPhone a lot (lifeproof + bag) so I can have music and MotionX and check the tide. If I could have all that, plus a 4K video camera and make phone calls with a watch, then I'd probably wear one--sometimes.

For dress-up occasions I have a couple of TAG Monacos left over from my ad guy days, that could probably be convinced to work again--maybe. I never bother to set them, they're just jewelry, but I like the way they look. Makes me feel like Steve McQueen--the old, fat version, though he didn't make it to old and fat. I also have a nice watch I won at a race at Road America, but I don't remember what it is.

I had a Rolex once, but I lost it. I'm an idiot about taking care of stuff, but I rarely loose things permanently. I still have the Serengeti Drivers I bought in 1980. I keep thinking it's going to turn up somewhere along with my missing 1947 Colt .45 that I bought because it was made the year I was born and then promptly misplaced.

So if you find a Rolex wrapped around a 1911 Colt, it's probably mine.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:59:16 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 02:34:06 PM »
My SUP time is limited to my Hatteras trips which totals 4 to 5 weeks a year, however I do a lot of windsurfing and I find the Ironman pretty good.

Pro's:
  • Large numbers of the display. Even when I had good vision I found the G shock display way too tiny.
  • Cost, http://tinyurl.com/jwy43hg. The G-shock may be tougher but I can get around 3 Ironmans for the cost of a G shock.
Con's:
  • The band does deteriorate. Not sure if it's sunscreen for me. Maybe just UV. However my current Ironman is going on 3 years. Previously I'd say over 2 years. They don't make replacement bands which is so bogus but you probably could get a web band for it.
  • Possibly the battery. I think the trick is to really minimise the use of the Indiglo.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 02:35:52 PM by SUPladomi »

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 11:24:47 AM »
Watches? You'd have to care what time it was to wear one. I carry my iPhone a lot (lifeproof + bag) so I can have music and MotionX and check the tide. If I could have all that, plus a 4K video camera and make phone calls with a watch, then I'd probably wear one--sometimes.

For dress-up occasions I have a couple of TAG Monacos left over from my ad guy days, that could probably be convinced to work again--maybe. I never bother to set them, they're just jewelry, but I like the way they look. Makes me feel like Steve McQueen--the old, fat version, though he didn't make it to old and fat. I also have a nice watch I won at a race at Road America, but I don't remember what it is.

I had a Rolex once, but I lost it. I'm an idiot about taking care of stuff, but I rarely loose things permanently. I still have the Serengeti Drivers I bought in 1980. I keep thinking it's going to turn up somewhere along with my missing 1947 Colt .45 that I bought because it was made the year I was born and then promptly misplaced.

So if you find a Rolex wrapped around a 1911 Colt, it's probably mine.

The new Sony Xperia Z2 will do all that and is ip58. 4k video and timeshift video ( slow motion edits). Headphone jack is waterproof. Has wet finger tracking touch too. We finally got rid of the ASF ( anti shatter film) on the front glass,  so its more scratch resistant.
Been using a pre production prototype a few months and honestly say its really worth consideration.
Disclosure: I work for Sony.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 01:14:56 PM »
Cool about time someone did a smartphone that's water resistant. IP58 is freshwater, what happens in salt? Have you tested that? I'd switch from iPhone for a real waterproof smartphone. I guess I could start with IP58 and get it liquipel treated or just stick it in a bag like I do with my iPhone/lifeproof,

4K camera eh? Saw that one coming. How is power consumption?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 05:58:23 PM »
I guess I could start with IP58 and get it liquipel treated or just stick it in a bag like I do with my iPhone/lifeproof,
Don't think they make these specifically anymore but any polyurethane variety would probably work.
http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2010/12/23/skins-mobile-phone-protectors-review/
If you think this is the dumbest idea ever than this video is for you. Warning video contains excessive profanity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp0fe_YcPo8

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 01:07:16 PM »
Cool about time someone did a smartphone that's water resistant. IP58 is freshwater, what happens in salt? Have you tested that? I'd switch from iPhone for a real waterproof smartphone. I guess I could start with IP58 and get it liquipel treated or just stick it in a bag like I do with my iPhone/lifeproof,

4K camera eh? Saw that one coming. How is power consumption?

Ive doused mine getting pounded by a 2 meter shore break on Kap Verde. Pretty salty and sandy.  Had it in my surf shorts, put my hand on it so it wouldnt get lost, paddle in other hand, lost my raybans. I got mushed.  That week same phone was in my surf shorts 3-4 times while paddling and getting wet. I washed it with bottle water splash after I got out. Worked fine. Touch screen goes wonky in saltwater when wet. Took pics in pool with boy too.
Granted, I test em as part of my job, and get a new one if I want it or break it. So if I was paying for it, id put it in a baggie with a baggie clamp.

Real story we got via sales and service channel about a guy snorkling found Xperia Z,  2-3 meters down on Maui. He picked up, took it to hotell room and charged it up. It worked!  and he tracked down the guy, now back in Chicago. He had dropped it a few weeks back while wake boarding. He had it in board shorts. Everyone was amazed. Story eventually  got sent to CEO. Kuni-San sent message back to teams involved. Fun story.

Im pretty proud of the waterproof feature, because I was part of a team in getting Sony to offer it globally, when it was only available on Japanese market specific phones, as demanded by operators in Japan.
I'd like to see a phone for 60 m static pressure...but we probably won't do it. Too niche.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 05:17:32 PM »
I picked up the ZR and now the Z1 for their waterproof features.  They still rely on little doors with little gaskets.  I assume they will fail eventually so I don't push it.  I keep mine in a drycase that I know will fail as well.  That extra insurance is worth it.  Not sure how waterproof the headphone jack would be if using it in salt water.  Electricity plus salts plus galvanic corrosion sounds like a surefire recipe for breakage. 

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 02:11:12 PM »
Ended up getting the Freestyle Shark Killer watch. Killer series are the larger brothers to the normal Sharks. Paid $43 with shipping and its exactly what I was looking for, waterproof, large numbers, and not flashy.

VonR

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 03:01:41 PM »
I've gone thru too many Freestyle watches. I really like my Luminox. They are pretty reasonably priced and take a beating. My Luminox is by far the best waterproof watch I've owned. I have the black out model with a stop watch and dive bezel. The dive bezel is actually pretty handy. I use it a lot to mark the time I got in the water.

http://www.luminox.com/watches/sea/?watch=A.3081.BO
Aloha,
Jeff

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 03:06:58 PM »
I've gone thru too many Freestyle watches. I really like my Luminox. They are pretty reasonably priced and take a beating. My Luminox is by far the best waterproof watch I've owned. I have the black out model with a stop watch and dive bezel. The dive bezel is actually pretty handy. I use it a lot to mark the time I got in the water.

http://www.luminox.com/watches/sea/?watch=A.3081.BO

How much did you pay for yours? $300+ is not reasonable in my opinion, but spending money now on a product that will last a long time is WAY worth it if you are buying a new $50 watch every year.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal