Author Topic: 2014 Jimmy Lewis M-14 (pics)  (Read 30038 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Jimmy Lewis M-14 (pics)
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 04:33:35 PM »
I brought myself an M14 earlier this year.  Damn good fun. I used to like going out on glassy days now I might not go out if it isn't windy enough. It feels very natural on the water like it is working with the ocean rather than against it.

I remember you saying you were going to get one. I wish you had posted something about it while I was waiting for mine. Some photos would have been nice. The waiting was torture and it came a month later than expected.

I took mine out in hellish whitecap chop at the beach yesterday just to see how it would go in it. The wind wasn't particularly strong but the chop was big. I went out against it a good eighth of a mile no problem. Then I turned around and came back to the beach and tried to surf some extremely choppy waves. It wasn't easy. I caught a few but fell on most of them. It was all good practice getting to know the board.

Today it was almost glassy, waist high and fun. I love how this board surfs. It catches waves almost effortlessly and I was catching them way outside of everyone else. I'll go back to surfing my shorter boards eventually but right now it's just fun getting to know the M-14. Still haven't done a true downwinder yet but that will happen soon enough.

Where or what type of place have you been using yours?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:00:00 PM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 04:57:19 PM »
Sweet classic looking DW board there, Dude! 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Just Cruising

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 08:21:58 PM »
I brought myself an M14 earlier this year.  Damn good fun. I used to like going out on glassy days now I might not go out if it isn't windy enough. It feels very natural on the water like it is working with the ocean rather than against it.

I remember you saying you were going to get one. I wish you had posted something about it while I was waiting for mine. Some photos would have been nice. The waiting was torture and it came a month later than expected.

I took mine out in hellish whitecap chop at the beach yesterday just to see how it would go in it. The wind wasn't particularly strong but the chop was big. I went out against it a good eighth of a mile no problem. Then I turned around and came back to the beach and tried to surf some extremely choppy waves. It wasn't easy. I caught a few but fell on most of them. It was all good practice getting to know the board.

Today it was almost glassy, waist high and fun. I love how this board surfs. It catches waves almost effortlessly and I was catching them way outside of everyone else. I'll go back to surfing my shorter boards eventually but right now it's just fun getting to know the M-14. Still haven't done a true downwinder yet but that will happen soon enough.

Where or what type of place have you been using yours?

I live in New Zealand close to a place called Takapuna if you want to look it up. 

Initially brought it for paddling distance on days that were too rough for my displacement nose board.  I still do the odd distance paddle (only about 10 miles or so) but since I got the M14 I have been powering upwind in the shelter of the bays and then sticking my nose out for a little downwind action. 

I get some quite good runs some days as the prevailing wind and swell run in roughly the same direction.  As the water hits the headlands of each little bay it backs up I get nice little bumps to ride. 

My other favorite is a straight onshore wind as we have a small estuary flowing onto our beach.  When the wind chop hits the outgoing tide from the estuary I get some good little rides out of that.  10 minutes of charging upwind for 5 minutes of downwind joy.  I do this after work when the sea breeze is strong and blow out the frustrations of the day.

I sure hope you weren't expecting me to say Maliko, Tahiti or the gorge.  It may not be very exotic but I am getting itchy feet just thinking about it.

Were you surprised by how easy it is to walk around on this board?  I am guilty of being planted like a tree for most of my supping but I feel quite comfortable moving around on the M14.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 04:29:45 AM »
I sure hope you weren't expecting me to say Maliko, Tahiti or the gorge.  It may not be very exotic but I am getting itchy feet just thinking about it.

Were you surprised by how easy it is to walk around on this board?  I am guilty of being planted like a tree for most of my supping but I feel quite comfortable moving around on the M14.

For all I could tell, I thought you might live right here in New England.

You have to be kidding. New Zealand is one of the most exotic places on earth. The Takapuna area looks a bit over populated from the satellite but when you zoom out, you can see you don't have to go far to find solitude. I'd love to see some pics of your board at the places you paddle.

I'd be wanting to explore those islands. There must be some good reef and point breaks out there.

If you want to see where I paddle check out Great Bay, Rockingham County, NH . I live near the bay but the beaches are only 20 minutes away.

Yeah I can't get over how stable the M-14 is for being only 28 inches. Going to windward is not one of my favorite things to do but at least this board makes it easier. I was out in knee high chop the other day and it handled it superbly.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:58:01 AM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 05:23:36 PM »
Congratulations Shoal on a sweet board!  Your first outings sound awesome. It is great to get to know a new, nice riding board in challenging and fun conditions.  You are having a blast!
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2014, 10:39:26 PM »
Love one of those......

Just Cruising

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »

For all I could tell, I thought you might live right here in New England.

You have to be kidding. New Zealand is one of the most exotic places on earth. The Takapuna area looks a bit over populated from the satellite but when you zoom out, you can see you don't have to go far to find solitude. I'd love to see some pics of your board at the places you paddle.

I'd be wanting to explore those islands. There must be some good reef and point breaks out there.

If you want to see where I paddle check out Great Bay, Rockingham County, NH . I live near the bay but the beaches are only 20 minutes away.

Yeah I can't get over how stable the M-14 is for being only 28 inches. Going to windward is not one of my favorite things to do but at least this board makes it easier. I was out in knee high chop the other day and it handled it superbly.

Hi Shoals

Sorry for the slow follow up, life and bad weather meant I couldn't get out for a paddle.  I had been wanting to take some photos for a while so I can torture myself by putting them on my work desktop.

Looks like you have lots of cool place to explore too.  I don't get much surf close to my house but its not far to drive to get some.  Here are some much delayed pics.   

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »
Fantastic pics. The board looks great in red. That color isn't available in the States for some reason.

The islands look a lot farther away than they did looking down from the satellite. I still be into paddling out to them in the right weather.

Have you tried the M-14 in the surf yet? I am still amazed at how well it turns. I bought a ten inch surf fin just for surfing. Jimmy said in an email that you can surf it with the tracker fin, it just responds a little slower into the turns.

I'll have some more pics of mine soon now that spring is finally here. I guess we had to wait for your long NZ summer to be over first.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Just Cruising

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 05:48:22 PM »
Thanks Shoals, I will look forward to seeing more of your pics later.

I had actually wanted the candy green color but for some reason there weren't any in the container.  I had only seen the red online and didn't think much of it but in person it looks awesome so I am happier in the end.

My surfing ability is still non existent so the tiny waves I have caught have been straight line affairs. 

The volcano Rangitoto is easy to get to and I have done it a few times.  I have heard of the better paddlers like Annabel Anderson taking the ferry out to Waiheke Island and downwinding back to Auckland.   

Waiheke is a cool place to visit on land or sea.  I won't turn this into a travel blog but its worth a visit if anyone visits Auckland.  For people in the know (which is now you guys) head to Garden Cove.  You can only access it by the water but its magic.  Worth a google image search if you have time.     

I just remembered there is this guy too.   I have never met him but gets up to some cool stuff. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XzuvkWlnYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Na_2caddI

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 04:20:18 PM »
@badger...

Reviving a very old thread but considering the M 12.6 or 14 as a glassy summer cruising board I want to have the ability to ride some very small waves (Ankle to knee at best.)  Things my 10'6 Synova Style couldn't even catch. 

Think a coast wise paddle on a flat day and  a little swell rolls in be able to surf it from way outside- maybe with the wave never even breaking.

I think this might do that trick?   Not sure on 12.6 vs 14.  I'll never race it.  Wondering if 12.6 makes more sense for a little better manouverability.....Will it paddle a lot slower?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2019, 04:55:19 PM »
I had both the 14' and the 12'6.

The 14' is faster with a lot more glide. If you will be doing a lot of flatwater and distance, this is the one you want. It glides on the tiniest ripples. It's fun to surf but needs the right wave. Preferably a point break or sandbar. Beach breaks can be tricky but doable. It will catch waves long before they break and glide on just about any bump.

The 12'6 is slower to paddle. It's not bad for cruising around for a mile or two but after owning the 14', I found it a little boring on flatwater. The upside is that it surfs a lot better. Still catches waves way early but turns and carves on the wave better than the 14'.

Both boards are very thick which takes some getting used to when surfing them. I enjoyed surfing them both. They are probably the best surfing downwind boards on the market.

Right now if I had to choose between the two, I would want my M-14' back because it's more all around. Good for flatwater and fun to surf.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 05:03:40 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 06:45:17 PM »
Thanks Badger!

Exactly what I wanted  to know. Even when it's flat when I paddle up and down the beach I'll still be eyeing a ripple to ride. So I think I'd rather have the manuverabiluty of the 12.6 on the wave. Plus I sold my style 10'6 so this has to be an easy flatwater board to paddle with my wife on her softtop in the bay.

Ok. Decision time!

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
I never paddle either M12 or M14 but I would choose the M14 unless your tiny then the M12 is for you.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 05:29:33 PM »
Yeah, I hadn't though of that. I weigh 175 and the 12'6 was fine for me but someone weighing 190 or over might be too heavy.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 05:31:46 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 05:42:21 PM »
Yeah, I hadn't though of that. I weigh 175 and the 12'6 was fine for me but someone weighing 190 or over might be too heavy.

crap....that might be a problem.  ordered the 12.6 this afternoon! :-\   im 210- and would only be paddling this in trunks or maybe a 3/2. (so not alot of wetsuit weight)

its 237l   thats the biggest board i would have ever had by far. sure it will still float me.  would the issue be its too far in the water at my weight?

Im sure i can change the order to the 14.  but the 12.6 in carbon was extra cheap.  thoughts?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal