Author Topic: 2014/2013 7'7" Pro vs 2012  (Read 2026 times)

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
2014/2013 7'7" Pro vs 2012
« on: April 03, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »
Just in case anyone wanted to see where the volume drop came from and what else changed.

Aside from the durability issues I'm experiencing, despite the 6L loss in the volume the 2014 is surprisingly more stable. However, with the lower stance in the water and the lower rocker up front, you have to be a bit more careful and tail heavy paddling into a wave to make sure you don't pearl out before you even get going as it tends to want to submarine. The thinner rails occur down low as you can tell from the photos and give noticeably more speed, drive and bite. The flatter rocker up front is noticeably quicker. In chop it is more stable as the board trips up less, however in current it is less stable than the 2012 as the lower volume allows it to sink and catch easier on opposing current rather than float on top. At first I really did not like the dead feeling of the flat deck on my front foot while on a wave, however, you adapt to it quite quickly and end up relying more on your rear foot to engage the rail. The only major disadvantage is here though, because of the flat deck your front foot is less effective at controlling speed wobble on really fast waves. If you get on a throwy just overhead and bigger wave at a spot like Lanes, the wobble and chatter is much harder to control than it is on the rounded deck of the 2012. This is in spite of the thinner rails being buried deeper. Of course on the 2014 you are also going faster because of said thinner rails, so the trade-off seems well worth it. All-in-all I haven't used my 2012 since and it will become the back-up board.

For reference I am 6'1" and 185-190 lbs + a 5/4 wetsuit unless I am lucky enough to be on Maui or cruising with Cardiff Sweeper in Encinitas.
Don't forget to bring a towel!

dontblamemyboard

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2014/2013 7'7" Pro vs 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 12:05:42 AM »
aloha. let me know if you ever want to sell your 7 7 pro 2012, ive been riding the 8 pro for quite some time and am fully ready for the next level.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal