Author Topic: Starboard 2014 Carbons - Overly Fragile or just mine?  (Read 22934 times)

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard 2014 Carbons - Overly Fragile or just mine?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2014, 07:56:53 PM »
Hey SupTrip, not making any moral judgments either way, but it seems like you did as you were instructed, whatever's left is yours to do with as you please.

I am curious about the center area between the foot pads.  Is there any High Density Foam running done the center of the standing area?  I'd like to put the same double screw inserts in the center of the board for one of the side handles.  In the same vain, is there HDF in the rails where the handle inserts are located.

Not to be morbid, but any pics?  Thanks.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2014, 08:13:45 PM »
I guess if SupTrip had been really devious, he could have cut the board in half, then taken out two classified ads for "Starboard Allstar--50% off".

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 11:27:39 PM »
Any updates?

The warranty machine is in motion.... waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed!
Don't forget to bring a towel!

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »
UPDATE - Warranty was approved. Now I just need to do the bad deed and cut the old sucker in half. I'm hoping I can salvage the deck pad somehow, and maybe the tail kick too as I really like it. Then fingers crossed the new board doesn't have the same issues.

SupTrip

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 07:07:08 PM »
Somehow i totally missed all the follow up posts on this thread. Firstly I'm really happy starboard warrantied the OP's board.

Second, let this serve as a disclaimer for anyone considering attempting to repair one of these boards in the manner i did, i.e. with all the correct materials, vacuum bagging, fairing it all out perfectly, etc.

The only aspect of this project that makes it worthwhile is the experience gained, or the fun of learning & tinkering. This is certainly not a financially smart move, the raw materials probably cost me $600.00  - $800.00, and god only knows how much time, maybe 40+ hours of dicking around with it.

Its cheaper to buy another one. But i will say the repaired board turned out sick! I've nicknamed it frankenstein, and raced it in the florida cup this past weekend. Its really very nice, i shot it with ppg delfleet essential. I think that and the repairs added 2 lbs, although it is extremely stiff now, very little flex. Its a lead sled.

Easy, for whats its worth- im such a fan of the starboards i just bought a new carbon 14' x 26" sprint. I rode an ace the other day and its got me thinking.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:20:12 PM by SupTrip »

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2014, 04:59:17 PM »
Re: taking advantage of warranty quality control should catch errors in construction,  period.  Sounds like West's board had a bad batch of resin.
EASY,  what you have done with the damaged board as a retailer?   Patched it up and sold it as new for full price?    ;)

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2014, 11:14:24 AM »
Here's the new stick at Waddell Beach near Santa Cruz. Thanks to Steve and Russ at Hi-Tech Maui for making the process quick and easy.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014, 11:28:02 AM »
Here's the new stick at Waddell Beach near Santa Cruz. Thanks to Steve and Russ at Hi-Tech Maui for making the process quick and easy.

Two thumbs up for Steve and Russ at Hi-Tech Maui.  Great example of customer service.
They are great to deal with and will always get you the best price on a Starboard.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 04:17:50 PM »
EASY,  what you have done with the damaged board as a retailer?   Patched it up and sold it as new for full price?    ;)

I would have cut it in half - as requested - and then either disposed of it - or made a bench / table / sign for the shop / or trophies for my sup events.  All of which I have done. 
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal