Author Topic: Hanging with Mickey Munos and talking shop...  (Read 1400 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hanging with Mickey Munos and talking shop...
« on: March 28, 2014, 06:55:19 PM »
Today I ran into Mickey Munos at the lumber yard in Capistrano Beach, Ca. He frequents the hardware department there a lot, be cause he lives right down the street. I ran into him on the sand paper isle, imagine that. We started talking sanding techniques, which led into his latest race board he's shaping. We talked about waterline, and reducing windage. I told him about my latest board and how low it sits in the water. He said, " You know, submarines are faster that boats of equal size." I'm not sure of this, but I did tell him "my board doesn't slow down a bit when it get submerged in a trough and knifes through the following bump. He said the race board he's working on has a narrow, but rounded blunt nose. He said, "I'm just trying something". Right on! Mickey is so cool!
I think he said Randy Lewis? just shaped him a custom nose-rider stand-up. He said it's very narrow, with straight rails, and the Donald Takayama type of concave nose. He said he can just about hang ten on it. He can get his toes just inches from the nose but can't quite hang'em. The board steers really good from the nose, but it has a little too much volume. If he's steering it from the nose and he steers it down sometimes the rail grabs. If he steers it up, there is so much volume that it just lifts him out. He's thinking the nose needs to pull in and thin out just a little.
What assume insight. I'm not a longboarder and never have been, but I now understand nose steering a little better.

We also talked about cordless impact drivers that we both love... :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 06:56:50 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hanging with Mickey Munos and talking shop...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
He's just too much fun to talk to. I learn so much, though it's like drinking from a firehose. Every time I see him at SanO I wind up listening to him for hours, though I'm sure he's thinking "is this guy going to stop asking questions so I can go surf."

I look forward to showing him how I'm butchering my broken Speedboard. If it works it will be very interesting. If it doesn't it will be very weird-looking. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:15:17 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal