Author Topic: PAC-NW Damon Point State park  (Read 1826 times)

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
PAC-NW Damon Point State park
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »
Went yesterday. 5 to 7 feet W swell, low tide at 10:15. I was there from 0730 to 0930.

Day started out rocky, had several tumbles and a cramp in my right shoulder, but I got my wetsuit zipped.

I chose this location, because I had to drop a tractor off at my folk's farm and I needed an easy paddle out. This is shore break, so the paddle out was easy.

I got there about mid tide, which is no good below 8 feet, it breaks on shore. Once it begins to get to the lower 1/3 of the cycle the sandbars begin to take shape. About midway down the point I started to get some zippers with a decent shoulder to get out of. The waves had some snort, they were top to bottom vertical pitching out. The waves were short, average ride was drop in, turn down the line, and get out. A few had time for some wiggles. A little too fast for my SUP I had to take off near the shoulder to make it out of any waves. Most rides were bail outs before I hit sand but I did find some good take-off spots and had a blast going both left and right. Lots of speed at times. Lots of embarrassing at times. 

Ride of the day was on a right hander headed towards an a-frame with another wave that was doubled up. Instead of bottom turn and out the back I went bottom to top right onto the double. Had that weightless feeling for a good long second.

The point itself looked great, straight up walls peeling to the left, but that spot has a lot of current and is just to advanced for me on my first session in months.

A seal stuck his head up next to my board, like 12" away. That was not cool. I was looking out and he chuffed at me. Pretty startling.

Make paddleboarding great again!

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: PAC-NW Damon Point State park
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:48:41 AM »
Found myself out at Ocean Shores on Saturday last weekend. I had my board along but it was victory at sea conditions, with wind coming out of the SW. Swell was at 10', but got pushed over by wind in the same direction. The kite boarders were having a good time.

I went to inspect because I noticed that there was a spot that may get a wrap-around break at high tides with enough swell. It was breaking to the right, as I had hoped. Looking for that condition again with no wind.

Took a couple panoramic shots to remember. You can see a knee-high runner breaking towards the rocks.

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:09:52 AM »
Sweet! Just moved to WA over the winter. I need to get in the surf! Thanks for wetting my appetite!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:34:35 AM »
Day started out rocky, had several tumbles and a cramp in my right shoulder, but I got my wetsuit zipped.

Awesome line.... ;) there have been too many times that I can relate to that. And then of course you feel like you need instructions from Houdini to get out of it at the end of the day.

Sounds like a fun day though for sure.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 09:56:58 AM »
Sweet! Just moved to WA over the winter. I need to get in the surf! Thanks for wetting my appetite!

Lets Go! Be happy to ease you back into it.

I'm trying to get my work done so I can go on Fri. If the wind forecast relents a bit.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM