Author Topic: Anyone have experience with surftech rf generator boards  (Read 8355 times)

SD1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Anyone have experience with surftech rf generator boards
« on: March 23, 2014, 04:42:20 PM »
Hey everyone...looking for any feedback on these boards. Looks like a great longboard shape. Thanks in advance!

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone have experience with surftech rf generator boards
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 05:51:26 PM »
Hi SD1
I had a 10'6 x 32" which opened the way to SUP surfing. Very stable and easy to catch small waves up to chest height. Quite flat rocker, long gliding rides, easy to ride the nose.
Had the ast version, single fin. Fun cruiser as well.
Which model are you looking at?
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

SD1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 07:16:43 PM »
Thanks balance fit! Saw the bamboo series on Amazon for an excellent price. The 10'0" has a great price. The 9'0", 9'6", are on sale as well.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 05:10:26 AM »
Hi again, please check the "going longer -suggestions " thread for more info on the longer Generator.
The shorter models are a bit narower and possibly looser on the wave. Still on the flatter rocker aire, read, glide.
Bamboo version with a 2+1 setup look better and should perform better than the ast 10'6 i had.
I demo'ed the 10' version in flatwater,as well as the 11'6. For the 175 lbs i had at the time, both options were fine. I chose the 10'6 for it's surf and cruising attributes.
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:03:42 AM »
Hi again, please check the "going longer -suggestions " thread for more info on the longer Generator.
The shorter models are a bit narower and possibly looser on the wave. Still on the flatter rocker aire, read, glide.
Bamboo version with a 2+1 setup look better and should perform better than the ast 10'6 i had.
I demo'ed the 10' version in flatwater,as well as the 11'6. For the 175 lbs i had at the time, both options were fine. I chose the 10'6 for it's surf and cruising attributes.

I'm looking at this board pretty closely now...was wondering how you found the AST version - it seems to be lighter than the bamboo version and far cheaper! Just wondering what the catch is...I see it only comes in single fin but to be honest I'd only ever use a single fin on a small wave/cruising board. Any more info on how you found the 10 6 woulbe be very useful...I reckon I might go bigger though.

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:21:46 AM »
I have the 10'6" bamboo 32" wide.
It's a bit heavy but I think it might be because the traction pad is higher quality.
It surfs great for my needs.
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Mistral Diamond Head 8'6"
Naish Glide 14"

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 08:26:34 AM »
that 10'0" for $760 is a great deal! Go for the bamboo, it'll get you better resale. THey're stunning to look at. the ladies love em especially. I've had some joggers comment about how beautiful they are.
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Mistral Diamond Head 8'6"
Naish Glide 14"

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 08:31:19 AM »
If the AST is cheaper, I'd go for it.  Surftech's AST "Tuflite" is a VERY durable construction & not too heavy.  Those things are built to last.   
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 10:07:36 AM »

I'm looking at this board pretty closely now...was wondering how you found the AST version - it seems to be lighter than the bamboo version and far cheaper! Just wondering what the catch is...I see it only comes in single fin but to be honest I'd only ever use a single fin on a small wave/cruising board. Any more info on how you found the 10 6 woulbe be very useful...I reckon I might go bigger though.

The AST version was great. On cruising mode, which i used it for several times, i took advantage of it's glide, which is quite good for a 10'6 board. Dog on board, friends demoing, etc. It also comes with 4 inserts up front for bungee cordz, which i used to secure a bag with snorkeling gear...for 2 people !
On surfing mode, even being a single fin, on up to chest high waves, it caught the wave early, held it's own on the face, enough for quite a bit of walking around.
In general, the AST paint doesn't have a glossy finish like the bamboo version. This causes all types of hard to scrub off spots and stains when grabbing the board with dirty hands, paddle markings, etc. Just a cosmetic nuisance, though. The pad covers 2/3 of the board and is very comfy, whereas the bamboo version has a different compound with a division in the middle. Not having the side bites is not a problem if your surfing style is conservative: a single, good fin, maybe a raked/pivot fin quiver, is all that's needed for surfing small waves.
The 10'6 is a true confidence builder to start surfing small waves and for cruising around it's unbeatable.  Very stable on paddling and comfy on the wave, i even did a 14 km downwind on it, keeping up with my peers on longer boards in light conditions.
I sold it to go smaller. The board is great for it's price, no complains about it.
Be well
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'

funkart

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 10:22:37 AM »
I have one and love it in small surf!!

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 11:29:24 AM »

The AST version was great. On cruising mode, which i used it for several times, i took advantage of it's glide, which is quite good for a 10'6 board. Dog on board, friends demoing, etc. It also comes with 4 inserts up front for bungee cordz, which i used to secure a bag with snorkeling gear...for 2 people !
On surfing mode, even being a single fin, on up to chest high waves, it caught the wave early, held it's own on the face, enough for quite a bit of walking around.
In general, the AST paint doesn't have a glossy finish like the bamboo version. This causes all types of hard to scrub off spots and stains when grabbing the board with dirty hands, paddle markings, etc. Just a cosmetic nuisance, though. The pad covers 2/3 of the board and is very comfy, whereas the bamboo version has a different compound with a division in the middle. Not having the side bites is not a problem if your surfing style is conservative: a single, good fin, maybe a raked/pivot fin quiver, is all that's needed for surfing small waves.
The 10'6 is a true confidence builder to start surfing small waves and for cruising around it's unbeatable.  Very stable on paddling and comfy on the wave, i even did a 14 km downwind on it, keeping up with my peers on longer boards in light conditions.
I sold it to go smaller. The board is great for it's price, no complains about it.
Be well

Many thanks for the full reply......I usually surf an 8 8 surf sup but looking for a small wave catcher and cruiser. Might consider the longer version but 10 6 is a nicer size!

SD1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 01:32:13 PM »
Thanks for all the great info. fellas!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard