Author Topic: Need help going backside ....  (Read 17734 times)

g shepherd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need help going backside ....
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 10:07:16 PM »
That IS a great photo for illustrating some of the things mentioned here. I find myself (on much smaller waves, mind you) with my weight on my back foot and the paddle, which like in the pic is held sort of flat and dragged through the water rather than planted. Torso twisted to open the shoulders. In my case more of a point-and-shoot move rather than a full-on bottom turn.

As an aside-- are those gongsup guys having fun or what?

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »
As an aside-- are those gongsup guys having fun or what?

This picture is from south of France in Mediterranne. Mediterranee is a sea but it's not an ocean.
The gongsup guy is "Ours" (the bear) surfing big mediterranean wave in Saint-Tropez. I don't know him but I believe this guy has much more fun than the common run of people. He's wellknown by using a scottish beverage to be also a buzz surfer. :D

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 02:32:45 PM »
Hey linter,

Check out this backside wave of Ikaika Kalama that Blane posted. He shows how easy it is. Just get pointed in the right direction on a triple overhead wave and go with it ;D

http://imageevent.com/torturechambers/privatedonotcopy?p=98&w=4&c=4&n=0&m=24&s=0&y=1&z=9&l=0

BTW, how do you like the otter tail paddle?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 02:47:45 PM »
Hey linter,

Check out this backside wave of Ikaika Kalama that Blane posted. He shows how easy it is. Just get pointed in the right direction on a triple overhead wave and go with it ;D

http://imageevent.com/torturechambers/privatedonotcopy?p=98&w=4&c=4&n=0&m=24&s=0&y=1&z=9&l=0

BTW, how do you like the otter tail paddle?
What a great vid..What a great barrel.. :o..I think he only fell in because he would have hit the camera man.. ;D

DJ

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 03:57:38 PM »
hey gary: i'd been holding my thoughts on the infinity in abeyance for a bit.  when i first got it, i went out twice and had the two worst sessions of my life.  today, though, I gave it another shot and find that i really like the thing.  in particular, i'm happy with how it starts the board off so smoothly; there's none of that herky-jerky get-going stuff that i had with my other paddle.  i also like the length that steve recommended; while everyone else is going short, i'm now at 10" overhead with the ottertail. 
   the other day i was so pissed off at the world that i thought i'd just up and get a kialoa and fergit all about this super slender paddle biz.  now i'm happy as a clam.
   thanks for all your help along the way.  it proved invaluable.

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 06:24:49 PM »
Cool linter. It took me a while to get used to it also. At first I thought..."I'll NEVER be able to catch a wave with this thing!" But it's worked out great. I wouldn't leave home without it. I also thought that having two paddles was pretty extravagant. But as I read and talk with more guys, I hear them saying that having an extra paddle with you "just in case" is a good idea. So I'm happy about that too. If I was going distance though, I'd reach for the Kialoa Kole 9" first.

snappy

• Rincon Status
  • what I ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 02:16:57 AM »

I hope the photos work out.
This shows how we go backhand here in OZ.I know the waves arent as big as the islands but we have a blast anyway.
Cheers from OZ.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 05:42:58 AM by Admin »

snappy

• Rincon Status
  • what I ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 02:20:08 AM »

this image stuff has got me beat.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 05:42:04 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 05:47:40 AM »
Hi Snappy,
You had the pictures very close to correct.  Two small things,
The image url was from the thumbnail image (very small, rather than full sized like it is now).

Also, you did not highlight the URL before clicking the image icon.  I fixed 'er up. 

This is how it looked for your photo when corrected:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.standupzone.com/photopost/data/2/IMG_1924.jpg[/img]
Thanks!

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 06:44:08 AM »

Thanks Snappy and all the ZONERS for your BACKSIDE TIPS, they all work...

I like to share this pic I came accross (cruising the web) w/ all of you about what I was trying to say. The pic is of Todd at ''C4 Waterman' and he extremely demonstrates  the technique I tried to describribe........ I guess a picture tells a thousand words.......

Remember,   SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND thru the maneuver
      Heavy back foot forcing  tail down and nose up
     Surf stance on inside edge to set rail for turn
     Twisting tourso , directing shoulder and chest  thru the turn w/ board to follow
     Leaning on dragged paddle blade for leverage and pivioting. 
     Paddle between wave and surfer.
    When turn is complete and your heading down the line , adjust for speed and your next maneuver ..

Thanks for all your input and I hope this helps at least one Stand Up paddler . 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 06:46:40 AM by gjbsup »
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2008, 08:08:12 AM »
Now let's talk about pigdogging a 10'x29"x4.5 through a heaving right hand barrel section (I'm screwfoot)- any thought s on that one? Or is it just point and pray?

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2008, 08:24:40 AM »
Now let's talk about pigdogging a 10'x29"x4.5 through a heaving right hand barrel section (I'm screwfoot)- any thought s on that one? Or is it just point and pray?

Barrels aside, if its pigdoggn' with heels on (or close to) the inside rail and a 4.5 inch far rail to grab....Man, you need some long arms and big hands  :)

Good Q though, where are you hiding the paddle, inside hand and tight in?

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2008, 08:56:03 AM »
My style in those situations has been:
1. Drop in
2. Come off the bottom thinking if I. Kalama can do it at Pipe this little beachbreak wedge is a cake walk, right?
3. Watch the bottom drop out, water turn sandy brown. Realize: Oh, sh#t what have I done? Consider pulling out but see that's not an option.
4. Get as high and tight as possible, try to get small- realize that 220 don't get too small
5. Take the lip in the back of my head
6. Pray- as I'm planting my face that a) when I surface my c5 is intact b) my board doesn't flip over in the lip and flatten the back of my head or a fin doesn't modify my okole.
7.Yard sale
8.Paddle away acting like I can't hear the cackles from the manuals who've been waiting all morning for just this to happen.
9. Resolve to never try to pull in backhand again and gain new appreciation for Hawaiians who pull in over a reef that ain't so forgiving.

Yeah, that's about it.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 04:17:23 PM »
My style in those situations has been:
1. Drop in
2. Come off the bottom thinking if I. Kalama can do it at Pipe this little beachbreak wedge is a cake walk, right?
3. Watch the bottom drop out, water turn sandy brown. Realize: Oh, sh#t what have I done? Consider pulling out but see that's not an option.
4. Get as high and tight as possible, try to get small- realize that 220 don't get too small
5. Take the lip in the back of my head
6. Pray- as I'm planting my face that a) when I surface my c5 is intact b) my board doesn't flip over in the lip and flatten the back of my head or a fin doesn't modify my okole.
7.Yard sale
8.Paddle away acting like I can't hear the cackles from the manuals who've been waiting all morning for just this to happen.
9. Resolve to never try to pull in backhand again and gain new appreciation for Hawaiians who pull in over a reef that ain't so forgiving.

Yeah, that's about it.

HA hahahahhahahahahaahha....yup you got that right...mee too...

or "shoot... im almost as good as those guys that on the C4 videos...WATCH THIS"....NOT.... :o

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 03:39:44 PM »
I pulled off some good backside turns yesterday in little waves over in the Cove. Before I was just kind of sliding the nose around, but I lifted my back foot and moved it over to the inner rail and PRESTO. Felt so nice. then just hop the foot back to the middle and lean the other way and you carve out of it. I was whooping so much I must have looked like a nut.

BTW, bob (stoneaxe) is doing really well. He's beating himself up because he's falling in so much, but he's catching waves and starting to turn well. I haven't got him to move his feet around as much as he needs to, but he's doing way better than I expected.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal