Author Topic: Florida Keys - Questions  (Read 3585 times)

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Florida Keys - Questions
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:45:08 AM »
Hey all, going to be in the Keys the last week of June and early July.

I may or may not rent a SUP to tour around and fish from, have any of you done that? Were you successful? Where did you rent from? We are going to be in Marathon on a canal so paddling would be available right behind the house, but I am not sure if I could find fish.

I would like to get a guide out of Islamorada to take us back-country fishing in the Everglades. Any recommendations of names/companies to check out? Fly and/or gear fishing.

Any other stuff we should definitely do while we are there? I thought we would go to Bahia Honda and snorkel and I might rent a sailboard for a bit if the wind is blowing. Restaurant suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan
Make paddleboarding great again!

Larryl49

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Florida Keys - Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »
Google SUP Florida Keys and you'll find a bunch of shops and rentals all thru the Keys. Lazy Dog in Key West is probably the best known name although I don't think they specialize in SUP fishing. Florida Bays Outfitters on Key Largo rents a wide variety of paddle boats, including SUPs. Bahia Honda state park rents basic sit on top kayaks, not sure about SUPs.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:12:58 AM »
I would recommend a stop at the World Wide Sportsman store on Islamorada.  They may be able to hook you up with a backcountry guide. Also on Islamorada is the Lorelei Restaurant. They have great fish tacos. You can also stop by at the Morada Bay Beach Café for drinks and food. All three places are a mile from each other.
You can contact Scott at Paddle the Florida Keys for Eco-Tours and rentals. He’s in Tavernier.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

Mangomon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 12:09:48 PM »
Robbie's Marina (Robbies.com) on Islamorada has boards, guides, a restaurant, local art, and touristy stuff.  It started as a marina where you could pay a few dollars to feed the tarpon, but has really turned into a little scene now.  It is quite a haul between Key Largo and Key West.  There are other places that rent boards in Marathon, but I can't remember their names.  I love Bahia Honda, but the snorkeling mat be disappointing to you.  I'd get on a tour that went out to one of the many reefs.  We went out with the boat that is docked behind the Blue Green timeshares in Marathon.  The boat went to Lighthouse Reef and was affordable.  We also like the Turtle Hospital and Crane Point.  The Keys Fish Company has an awesome hog fish sandwich.  Every restaurant in the keys claims to have the "Best Key Lime Pie in the Keys."  As far as I am concerned, they are all right. 

SoundGirl

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Florida Keys - Questions
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 08:06:19 PM »
SUP Leave- We have rented a few times from SUP Key West. They were agreeable to doing custom trips, our first with them was through the canals and mangrove trails on the NE side of Key West. Our next trip was at Bahia Honda and was awesome! Our last time down there in Dec 2012, Megan met us at with boards the house where we were staying on Sugarloaf Key. We have seen lots of nature on these trips including an eagle ray that had to be near 9' long!

I agree the World Wide Sportsman is a nice stop for gear and a fruity drink by the water.  Robbie's, Lorelie's, Seven-Mile Grill, so many very cool places down there! A back country flats fishing trip is also good fun!  ENJOY : )

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:20:43 AM »
Awesome thanks all.

I have the back-country guide booked. Gonna play the SUP part by ear when we are there.

Mostly excited to get away from my work for about 3 weeks and just chill with my wife and girls.
Make paddleboarding great again!

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal