Author Topic: Help Me Plan - Florida Vacation  (Read 4287 times)

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Help Me Plan - Florida Vacation
« on: March 17, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »
Hi there,

Part 1

My family and I are going to be in Florida (Miami/FLiquordale) area for a week in June on our way to the Carribean. I would like to spend a day or two at a beach where I could possibly SUP surf. Is there somewhere within an hour that I could do this? I understand I won't get great conditions but catching any wave in warm weather is always welcome for me coming from fullsuit-in-the-summer country. 

Obviously I would need to find a rental shop near the beach and the beach would have to be somewhere the kids could muck around on the shore. Any help would be great.

Part 2

We are going to be in Marathon (in the keys) for a week after the Carribean. This is going to be the fishing part of the vacation. Would like some suggestions on both Guides, charters and DIY trips in the area. We have a house on a canal, and could easily rent kayaks to fish with. We prefer hands on (inshore, fly or gear) to trolling. I wouldn't mind SUP fishing, but my dad is along for this portion of the trip and he doesn't SUP. We are semi-experienced Kayak fishers here in the PacNW.

Thanks for the help. Cheers!

;D

Make paddleboarding great again!

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help Me Plan - Florida Vacation
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 06:50:39 AM »
Even in the winter, Miami and south Florida are not surf hot beds due to the fact that the Bahamas block the swell window, and in June it should be flat unless a weather system stirs up some surf.  I would just plan on some flat water paddling in beautiful water.  There are plenty of rental operations in both Miami and Ft.Lauderdale...if you wanted to head north just a bit ( 30 mins north of Ft.Lauderdale) you could come to Delray Beach and rent from fellow Zoner Ryan at " the Salt Fly". He has lots of great rental gear and can tell you all the interesting places to paddle..
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:27:11 AM »
Like Caribsurf said June is one of the flat months for surf in South Florida.  A friend of mine works for FortLauderdaleSup.com so you should probably check them out for rentals, and tours are popular as well to see the sights. 

I used Fla-keys.com to find fishing guides in the keys last summer in Islamorada which is just North of Marathon, they have a page for Marathon.  We went offshore fishing out of Bud and Mary's Marina(see picture), but they also have lots of guides for inshore fishing as well.  You could probably find charters in Marathon and they are all listed on the website.

Make sure you go to Robbies Marina (in Islamorada) to feed the tarpon, they will jump out of the water and eat out of your hand.  You have to be quick to get a good pic though.

Also, Theatre of the Sea in Islamorada is fun for the kids.  It is a small theme park with dolphin shows, etc.

Good Luck and have fun.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 09:57:41 AM »
Sweet Dorado.

Alright well, bummed that there is no surf. I will focus on other stuff when we are in Florida (flatwater with the kids). I told my wife to never plan vacations to places with no waves (which is why we always go to either Cabo, or Maui), but my parents are paying for a cruise and the house in the Keys to celebrate my old man's retirement. I went on a cruise years ago and said I wouldn't do that any more, but I never turn down free (beer, coffee, trips, etc).

So on this cruise we are stopping in St. Thomas, San Juan Puerto Rico and Grand Turk. These are on the eastern edge of the islands I believe. Any suggestions for June surf at these locations? Again, we just want to go to a beach where the family can chill and I can rent a board and catch waves. Even if I have to prone surf that is okay, but prefer SUP, it is just a better way to explore the ocean.

Cheers again everyone. If you ever come this way I will give you any info you need.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »
Again traditionally June in the Caribbean is small , south facing beaches best bet if any activity out there. 
Big Blue in Turks & Caicos rents SUPs and you might give them an e-mail to see if any surf in the area
http://www.bigblueunlimited.com/stand-up-paddle-boarding-turks-caicos-sup.shtml

T&C have some great outer reefs perfect for SUP, but again dealing with summer swells or lack thereof.
Good luck
just drink enough beer on the cruise that you forget about the surf…maybe the ship has one of those wave machines.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 03:47:45 PM »
June is real sketchy in Fl for wave...but you chances of finding anything south of Stuart/ Jensen beach are pretty much non existent ...but then agin you could be evacuating for an early storm too...winter is the time to come to fl for waves...not summer...bait the fam with Disney World then shoot over to Cocoa or New Symerna after they get their fill. If there are any waves at all they will probably show up in New Symerna...the shark bite capital of the world..

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 09:56:28 AM »
Looks like a couple of hours up to the Cocoa area from Ft. Lauderdale, is that about right? I will just keep an eye on the swell and call some of the shops north of where we are staying when we get there.

I may be able to convince the crew to take a day trip. We aren't going to Disneyworld this time. Save Disney for the west coast, waves are pretty easy to find in SoCal.

Thanks again everyone.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal