Author Topic: The Fly Box  (Read 3269 times)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
The Fly Box
« on: March 14, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »
I follow a small regional fishing forum along with The Zone. There is going to be a traveling fly box going around and thought that may be pretty cool here, especially as far reaching The Zone is. I think the person who started it there got it from a Tenkara site. Anyways,
A fly box starts out with some flies in it. Someone fishes with it for 2-3 weeks. Takes some notes, posts some photos here, adds some flies, and passes it off to the next member who does the same thing. See some interesting stuff and see some cool pics and read some good stories.
With all the different kinds of fish seen here it would be real interesting.
Any interest? Any ideas?

I don't think it would have to necessarily be devoted to flies tho some lures could get quite huge and shipping/passing the box on could get expensive. Small spoons and jigs wouldn't be bad tho.
It really doesn't have to end. If it ends it's run perhaps there is some kids fishing program somewhere that could take it. Perhaps a world record never before seen first of its kind fish is caught and the box becomes world famous and it gets auctioned on Sothebys. I don't know how it ends up but someone would come up with something.
Perhaps a small plano box rather than a fly box? Perhaps a tupperware box with a fly box inside with room to sprare? Probably never get over $10-$15 to ship? I not sure of the priority mail box prices off the top of my head.
I would be willing to start it tho it would be late May or early June in all likelihood before I had 2-3 weeks with it to actually fish with it. I don't have to start it either.
Fishing from a board. Fish stories are cool but no kayaks or bank potatoes. I guess if on a paddle overnighter or camping excursion, from bank would count. (hmmmm, count for what?)
Addresses and other contact info via pm.
Damaged flies stay in the box. Replace lost ones plus add a few.
Notepad/journal goes along with it.
I think it would be cool for it to go to different countries across the ocean.

I think it would be interesting here for sure. Anyone in?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:16:08 PM by lucabrasi »

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Fly Box
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
How about using small envelopes instead of a flybox?  You can label who tied the fly and keep notes about them in the notebook by assigning a number to the envelop and referencing that number in the notebook for notes/observations/etc.  The recipe for the fly can be written on the envelope to keep the notebook to notes.

Also - this could go an alternate route - a lot of other sites I pay attention to do periodic (seasonal) fly swaps.  The person starting it picks a theme (carp, warm water, trout, etc) and people sign up.  When all the sign ups are finished, the organizer lets everyone know how many people signed up and that equals the number of flies each person has to tie of the fly they are contributing.  The tyers send in the flies to the organizer, who then sorts the flies and mails them back to all the tiers.  Afterwards, everyone can post pictures and lies about what each fly caught.

Either way, I'd participate.
Vic

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Fly Box
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »
Hey Velasco. I just getting geared up for the year so will put something together to send off in next week or so. Won't be much I tied but will have some flies and some other things. I use my spinning gear quite often on a few lakes I go to but with some small stuff I will include. Mostly carp, mackinaw, cutthroat, rainbow, browns, and kokanee I target when on a board around home.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal