Author Topic: Church Hater  (Read 15350 times)

StandinDan

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Church Hater
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:26:56 PM »
Ran across a major hater last week at Church when out of the blue he accused me of dropping in on everyone, taking all the outside set waves and paddling in a SUP restricted area. I tried to reason with him explaining that I didn’t drop in on anyone - it was really small and I only got three waves the whole entire 45 minutes I was out, and that we are allowed at Church on the strip of beach that fronts Camp Pendleton. But the extent of his communication skills was to flip me off and keep calling me a dork over and over and over again, (which is the least of my problems). He called my paddle a “spoon”, that’s a new one.  I eventually laughed him off, there is no reasoning with an apoplectic nine year old, even if he is in his mid thirties.  Later as I was packing up, I discovered he was parked two cars down from me in the north SanO lot. We got into it again when I tried to apologize for ruining his morning with my presence and attempted to come to a mutual agreement to stay away from one another. My fault for trying.  He tried to make me feel bad about SUPping, he ridiculed the sport and said that I should give it up and go back to "real surfing", get rid of the “spoon” and stop being a dork - as if 49 years of dorkishness (sp?) is that easy to put an end to. Did I say he was in his mid thirties? (chronologically any way.)
His vitriol bothered me a little for a few days, only in so much that a seeming adult could act that way. Then I got to thinking about where my life has gone since I took up SUP four years ago.
First and foremost I have made a made a bunch of new friends from Cardiff to Huntington, some really close ones that I hope to have forever. I can surf as much as I want without my back going out for three days after one long prone session.  I surfed in my first contest on Father’s Day Last summer at Church checking that block off my bucket list. I have caught more waves in the past four years than I did in the last ten of my proner days. I’m digging being an extremely small part of the explosion in ever shortening boards and high performance riding, I can’t wait to see where this sport can go. I've had three great days this week so far at Patch with like minded adults who, to a man and woman, had nothing but smiles on their faces and kind words in their hearts out in the sun and 72 degree air with glassy waist to chest high conditions. My favorite days lately have been out with my kids, 8 and 9 cruising around the harbor watching their skills develop while mom cheers them on from the beach. I can't wait to play hooky with them when a good swell comes in. And finally, two months back, I was having a burrito at Pipes in Cardiff after a Boneyard session with a friend whom I met years ago at SanO. I mentioned that my wife and kids wanted to get a new puppy since our old man doberman just wants to, deservedly, lay around and loaf at 15 years old. She revealed that she is a Lab Rescue foster mom and had a great little 8 month old pup that needed a good home. Well the next thing you know we were the proud parents of Holly, who was pulled out of the San Bernardino shelter just before they were going to pull the plug on her during the Christmas holidays. She is a beautiful little soul: smart, fun, great with the kids, and she loves to rip around SanO with the family while daddy catches a few. She has has fit right into our hearts and even re-energized her older brother and made him get out of his bed and join us all back at the beach.
I hope this sport has been as great and positive an influence on your lives as it has been on mine.

So to my point: Thank you, hater with the red long board, white Prius with soft racks, license plate TIL177 - just so you all can watch out for him. Thanks for being the catalyst behind my little life assessment and allowing me to recognize what a blessing SUP has been in my life.
Sincerely,
The Dork

SUP-poser

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Island Paintings and Woodwork
    • Email
Re: Church Hater
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »
Dorks that love dogs: my people.
Allwave 9'5"
Surftech 10' AST RF Generator
Werner (Carve?) 2 piece adjustable

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:46:25 PM »
Dan,
Just ignore them and enjoy all the good moments. Unfortunately, there are idiots you work with (hopefully they are not pilots), idiots you drive on the road with, and idiots you surf with. Look all the others coexisting. They out number the idiots. Now there are a few places where the idiot ratio is higher. Old mans, Trestles, T-street, Salt Creek, the 91 Fwy, and Dodger Stadium. 
Get that dog out on a board.....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:31:58 PM »
What was that, that Thomas Magnum used to say, "living better, is the greatest revenge", or something like that.
It takes a quiver to do that.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 02:00:24 AM »
You happy, dog happy, other guy, probably not happy.

Dan, when you pen gets rolling there's no stopping it. ;)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
 Dorks unite! Nice story StandinDan.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:00:33 AM »
SurfNJ I whole heartedly concour

Happy/Happy/ Not happy

Good point

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

NoFoSUPer

• Waikiki Status
  • A quarter keg is covering my six pack abs!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - trbo930
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 08:01:34 AM »
How can anyone who drives a Prius call someone else a Dork? Really!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:10:41 AM by NoFoSUPer »
12.5  x 29.25 JL Mission
10.5 Surftech Randy French bamboo
14 x 27.25 Bark Dominator Tuflite Construction

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 10:19:59 AM »
He did that at a place called Church?

Rail_Banger

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 11:02:38 AM »
How can anyone who drives a Prius call someone else a Dork? Really!

HaHa That was not lost on me either.

Dan you look Great at 49. you probably had a smile on your face while you caught more waves than most out there.
That probably pisses a lot of people off ;D 

Being on an SUP in a crowded line up reminds me of the "Different" kid in the sand-box in kindergarden.
One kid (The one with the real troubles) points and says to everyone 'Everyone look at him"  and laughs.... You laugh so nobody looks at You.
You just found the Fu@ked up kid in the sand box.

At 48, I share your stoke to just be out there.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 11:47:18 AM »
Great story something that I can relate to especially the back problem, BUt his real issue is he drives a prius and is likely emasculated..
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 11:56:38 AM »
I love how you outed him.
This is what we need to do to identify these clowns.

NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Mistral Diamond Head 8'6"
Naish Glide 14"

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 12:03:49 PM »
Great story something that I can relate to especially the back problem, BUt his real issue is he drives a prius and is likely emasculated..

No disrespect intended, but I don't believe one actually 'DRIVES' a Pious, I mean Prius. More like you 'operate' it. ;D

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 12:08:13 PM »
Must be a real badass, driving a Prius and all. Probably also lacking in the genitals also
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 01:26:31 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal