Author Topic: C4 Boards?  (Read 9442 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
C4 Boards?
« on: September 01, 2007, 03:23:36 AM »
Anyone ridden these boards? Would love to hear from people who have tried these. Especially if you can compare them to something I may have ridden myself.

I-waterman wrote a nice 10'0 review. Anyone ridden the 10'6?

The 10'6 is most interesting to me, but would like to hear comments on all the sizes.

Private message me if you don't want to post.

Thanks.

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: C4 Boards?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 06:52:09 PM »
I rode the 10'6" when I was trying out different boards before I purchased one. I found it to be pretty tippy for someone just beginning. I also tried several other boards of similar dimensions that were a lot more stable.

Based on my longboarding experience, I think the C4 would surf pretty well. I ended up buying an 11'9" Angulo because I wanted to be out having fun right away instead of falling on my ass every 10 seconds. My third day ever on a SUP (and first day in waves), I was surfing overhead waves and it rode fine. I'm sure the C4 rides better but at my level I'd catch far less waves.

One more thing to mention. I'm not sure if it was because the C4 I rode was a demo, but the paint chipped off the sides very easy. It looked like it was beat up pretty bad.

Hopefully someone with more SUP experience can talk a little more on the surfing characteristics.

Knash

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 08:35:13 PM »
Tony ,
The C4 boards rip.
After Starting out with a 12'2 behemoth that takes a very high skill level to actually surf well. I tried many of the different boards that are available today.
So my personal opion is that the Angulos in the 11'9" and 10'8"models fit a beginner/ intermediate person well  because of the stability they offer they will also perfom well enough for a person to progress well into higher surfing levels rapidly and then consider the C4s if they want to shorten the learning curve and still have a board they can use untill ready to upgrade to a more of a performance model.The Angulo 10'4 meets the need well for a lighter person also.We suggest this therory to our customers and are seeing alot of sucess. I have seen 280lb 1st timer paddling around flat water in about 10 min. of trying it out on the 11'9. On the 11'8 I watched one customer paddling into waves within 30 min., he was around 250 lb.I personally struggled to get to this point with much more difficulty.The C4 is the best surfing production board available currently but they do chip .I have not seen this occur with the Angulos.We just updated the Legendsurf.com webite and have included photos and info on all the models we carry.
Aloha, Kurt

lawaia

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 11:41:23 AM »
I've tried the 10'6" C4 and liked it a lot!  Paddling-wise, I found it to be stable and had good glide. Surfing wise, it was loose and lively when riding waves.  It is definitely a very fun surfing board...  I think this is from  a Parmenter shape and it was definitely meant to surf.

I think it's important to know what you want from your board.  In a SUP, what I'm personally looking for is good board for paddling and surfing - a good mixture of glide/mobility/paddleability for getting to those out of the way spots and surfability (looseness/turnability) for when you get there.  I've tried smaller boards and the lack of glide and the yaw from size and/or the curve in the outline makes paddling any significant distance a chore.  The ability to get to someplace else on my SUP is important to me.  For my size, this board seemed like a good blend.  In fact, riding this board helped change my mind since I was considering around 12'0" board previously.

I was very close to buying one after trying it but as a long-time surfer, I just really prefer having a custom shape.

I'm 5'8" / 175 lbs and currently have an 11'0" Infinity and am very impatiently waiting on a new 10'2" from David Craig. 

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 07:55:37 PM »
Hey lawaia- stoked to hear you're going the D. Craig route- the guy is definitely a master who's done it all in the forty or so years he's been hand shaping his boards (no preshapes), a total perfectionist. I'd love to hear about how your board comes out- shoot I might even go over and see if he's shaping it for you! I've seen a few come out of T'n'T they seem to be getting shorter and shorter... I'm going the custom route too (although I have no regrets about the two SOS boards I've already got)- I kind of like supporting our guys here in the States and there's nothing like getting a board made exactly how you want it! If you're going to be in town, shoot me an email.
www.paddlesurf.net

lawaia

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 05:09:27 PM »
Hey paddlesurf - Killer Blog!  DCraig is indeed a master - he has been for me an extremely reliable source of magical surfboards.  I recognized the SUP that Dave is shaping in your blog - for brudda Chris. 

I am in San Diego - we should meet up and go get a wave or two (or three...).

I will try and send a PM.

iwaterman

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 06:56:58 AM »
Iawaia.....

if you're in San Diego, please look me up as well.  I'd be glad to show you take you out for one of my regular paddle/surf sessions from La Jolla Shores to Blacks Beach, or where ever we can find surf.  Shoot me an email at [email]mike@sdwaterman.com[/mail].

The C4 guys are here for the ASR show and we had a great session with them yetserday (good swell, but horrible conditions).  Archie Kalepa, Dave Parmenter, and Todd Bradley were all there, along with all the SoCal Rippers.

~Aloha~

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 08:08:09 AM »
Just got a C4 10'6" and have only ridden it once for 2.5 mi. paddle in wind chop. I have not surfed it yet, so I can't comment yet on that, but I have been surfing and distance paddling on a 12' Laird, which is 31" wide, and I was really happy with how stable the C4 is.  It is also unbelieveably light compared to my Laird board. The Laird has been really fun to cruise and to surf in 3-4 ft.waves, and it glides unbelievably, but I am really excited to surf the C4, although I am sure I will probably fall a lot initially getting used to it. To start out, I am going to change to a single 9.5" or 10" single fin for stablility on the C4

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 09:16:30 AM »
Just got a C4 10'6" and have only ridden it once for 2.5 mi. paddle in wind chop. I have not surfed it yet, so I can't comment yet on that, but I have been surfing and distance paddling on a 12' Laird, which is 31" wide, and I was really happy with how stable the C4 is.  It is also unbelieveably light compared to my Laird board. The Laird has been really fun to cruise and to surf in 3-4 ft.waves, and it glides unbelievably, but I am really excited to surf the C4, although I am sure I will probably fall a lot initially getting used to it. To start out, I am going to change to a single 9.5" or 10" single fin for stablility on the C4

How much do you weigh? I learned on the Laird, so nice comparison for me.

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 08:17:43 AM »
DW-
I am 6 ft. and i weigh about 185 lbs.

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 09:15:12 AM »
DW
Surfed the 10'6" for first time today and I really like it. It was 2-3 ft and clean, with an offshore breeze. The board surfs well, much more manueverable than the Laird, but it has  less drive/glide than the Laird. It is stable, but not as forgivingly  stable as the Laird. It is way easier to carry. I was out for an hour and got a bunch of fun rides ( only one out for dawn patrol), but I fell a bunch too, as I got used the narrower width of the board. I think this board will be awesome on a bigger day, with less offshore wind to paddle through. I used a paddle with a 9.5" blade today to try get a little more power because of the wind. The board is also fun to paddle becuase it is so much narrower than the Laird. Hope this helps.

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »
Yesterday I got to try the 11'6", the 10'6" and the new 9'6".  The 11'6" is  a faster paddler than my 11'11" BIG RED and surfs WAY better.  I little more tippy in chop due to the added thickness.  The 10'6" seems to be a great all around board.  Paddles adequate and surfs good.  The 9'6" was beyond my ability in the choppy conditions.  I could paddle some and catch waves (some), but I got dunked A LOT, and I have not fallen in a while.  I think the 9'6" would be a hot board in clean conditions, but it will require a lot more work than the 10'6".  (I am 6'2" and 180 lbs)
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

sup key west

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 06:28:10 AM »
I would agree the 10'6 is the all around board, it is really stable, when i was in Hawaii, i was coming back from a wave session and the wind went to like 20 knots, i could believe how stable and even on my knees i got back in ok. For floridas waves it is great, surfs like a surf board, cant really say enough and i have 4 boards and have now rode 12 different styles.

heard they will have a 14 for racing

aloha  Paul

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 07:17:17 AM »
I would agree the 10'6 is the all around board, it is really stable, when i was in Hawaii, i was coming back from a wave session and the wind went to like 20 knots, i could believe how stable and even on my knees i got back in ok. For floridas waves it is great, surfs like a surf board, cant really say enough and i have 4 boards and have now rode 12 different styles.

heard they will have a 14 for racing

aloha  Paul

Is this Paul Menta?

Is there surf in Key West?

I'm planning a Forida SUP vacation this Winter.

PS I'm the typing penguin on KF.

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 11:26:45 AM »
Not sure about Key west but Florida does have some great waves, especailly for SUP.  I live in central FL area (Ponce Inlet) and there sia always great surfing up here.  Used to live farther down in the Sebastian / Ft. Pierce area and again, great surfing ( for florida) .  If you are in the area let me know as i am always looking for others to paddle with.  Now we just need to get rid of this onshore chop/wind we have been gettin for the past week,

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard