Author Topic: Great Lakes FROZEN  (Read 9835 times)

mittenkitten

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Great Lakes FROZEN
« on: February 27, 2014, 04:20:59 PM »
http://www.wunderground.com/news/great-lakes-are-now-88-percent-frozen-photos-20140218

So this is kind of old news by now, but I'm just curious if anyone has any predictions or insight on how this will effect the summer water temps? Lake Michigan is my favorite for summer paddling, but at this rate I'm thinking I may have to invest in a thicker wetsuit...
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung...

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Great Lakes FROZEN
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 04:48:48 PM »
It will be cold.  Minimally you will want a 4/3 but a 6/5/4 is always nice to have around.  I will start the season as soon as water opens with an Isurus I-soldier 4/5/4 and then will go with a 3/2 or a bunch of separates, like a SUPreme jacket with thermal rash guard underneath coupled with NRS 1.5 mil pants...but Ibet I wont be wearing those until late May.  Gear up if you want to paddle.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Mavrick161

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Great Lakes FROZEN
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 03:44:10 PM »
It's been a brutal winter for sure. I see open water on the rivers, but it's so cold. I've wanted to spring for a dry suit for awhile-it just might be fine. Wetsuits thicker than about 4/3 seem too restrictive for me to SUP, but lots do people love the warmth and buoyancy they provide.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal