Author Topic: Easiest paddle stroke to learn & self teach?  (Read 12985 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Easiest paddle stroke to learn & self teach?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 11:50:06 AM »
Nice board!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 02:02:05 PM »
STC--I was referring to local on water observations, only.
You have rocks to worry about.  So your style makes sense.

The video where the guy drops his top hand, got my attention.  I know he is very good.  But, when I drop my top hand, I let my lower hang and use it as a fulcrum.

supthecreek

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 04:35:55 PM »
no worries hb
I am just having fun on a storm day.... any excuse to dig through my photo/film heap and use stuff.
the boulder reference was a great setup ;D

I only hope they are entertaining my buddy linter during his flat spell...

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 05:19:11 PM »
you're about the only thing entertaining me in this terrible time of wave draught.

i spent the afternoon studying Larry Cain's videos, then went out into drink and couldn't get my muscles to listen to my brain.  then i came back to my apt and got into the drink in a different way right here. 

RomaniaSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 04:02:03 AM »
It's going to take time to get the muscle memory down. When your focusing on one specific thing, your going to forget about other things. Once a few of them start to become natural habit it becomes much easier to drill in on specific techniques.

Don't go out and try to do everything all in one session. If you wan't to work out, go out and do interval training and focus on your breathing. Thats not the time to break down your stroke. When you want to go out for a long easy paddle, those are perfect days to really focus on technique and try to continue focusing on technique throughout the entire paddle. I try to fit in Larry Cain's drills as a cool down to my interval training, and a warm up for my distance paddle. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=21478.0

My tips for going straight would be to keep your shoulders stacked. If you dropped a ball from your top hand you should be able to catch it in your bottom hand. A little more advanced but great for cross swell and wind is to steer the board with your feet. If you are paddling on the right side and feel the board going left, weight the left side of a displacement board (or the right side of a planing board) to drive the board back to the right.

On the recovery, keep the paddle low. Point your top thumb forward to bring the blade across the water. Think of 'icing a cake'. You'll want to learn this as you will need your high brace and low brace to keep you from falling in on some of these newer small surf SUPs.

Soooo much more stuff that I'm missing and just glazing over. You're probably better off just going to and taking a lesson with a certified instructor (WPA, ACA, etc.). We have ACA certified instructors teaching meetup groups around here for like 20 bucks. There are going to be a lot of people on this forum saying you don't need it and they are right. You don't NEED it. But if you can find one that isn't too expensive it's well worth the time as they will keep you from accidentally picking up bad habits.
Starboard Drive 10'5
Starboard Carbon Prototype 14'x26"
Starboard AllStar 12'6x25.5"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 04:24:50 AM »
you're about the only thing entertaining me in this terrible time of wave draught.

i spent the afternoon studying Larry Cain's videos, then went out into drink and couldn't get my muscles to listen to my brain.  then i came back to my apt and got into the drink in a different way right here. 

And even after a couple, you were still able to get the glass into drinking position without even thinking about it - proving that you are capable of fine motor skills and muscle memory ;D

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 10:25:14 AM »

Ok Erik... here's your assignment for today:

Jimmy Terrell dry land clinic

at 2:58... I learned about "Recovery"

at 6:52... he covers the "c" stroke !!!!!!!

Jimmy Terrell Dry Land Paddle Clinic

OK went out and tried it today.   On my shortest board 9' 2" PSH Hull Ripper, this board yaws.   And I'll be schnockered if I couldn't put in 30+ strokes on one side with the above technique.  Where I would typically take 8 - 10 strokes before switching hands.

Felt like I might have been crabbing a bit, literally pulling the board towards the 11 o'clock on my left and 1 o'clock on my right but it was effective.  I probably need to work on the weird feeling of twisting the paddle through the stroke but this was worth the eye-opening experience and I even found myself thinking about it as I paddled for some waves.  COOLIO  8)

Creek on the Brain
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:28:42 AM by Beasho »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 11:25:13 AM »

Ok Erik... here's your assignment for today:

Jimmy Terrell dry land clinic

at 2:58... I learned about "Recovery"

at 6:52... he covers the "c" stroke !!!!!!!

Jimmy Terrell Dry Land Paddle Clinic

And I'll be schnockered
Always wondered how to spell this word.  Thanks.

supthecreek

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 06:09:15 PM »
Ha ha beasho...
so.... does that mean, a little bit of me will be dropping in at Mavericks? :o

I'm paddling at Mavricks... now THAT's coolio ;)

disclaimer:
if crabbing a bit causes you to be sucked into the pit....

in my best Bart Simpson:
I didn't do it!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal