Author Topic: SUP Coastal Maine in August  (Read 13168 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP Coastal Maine in August
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 08:19:21 PM »
Caribsurf, where do you put in for flatwater paddles in the kittery point area? Are there any good public access points,  preferably with free parking nearby? Fort Foster looks like a neat area to paddle around, but but the parking fees are kinda steep there in the summer.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 10:38:37 PM »
where do you put in for flatwater paddles in the kittery point area? Are there any good public access points,  preferably with free parking nearby? Fort Foster looks like a neat area to paddle around, but but the parking fees are kinda steep there in the summer.

I usually put in at the head of Chauncey Creek where Seapoint Road crosses the Creek. From there you can go either down the creek to Pepperell cove or up the creek to Brave Boat Harbor. The creek is dry at low tide so timing your run with an incoming tide is important. The passage to Brave Boat Harbor isn't passable til a couple hours before High. The current can be ripping through the marsh where it narrows but it's manageable. Brave Boat Harbor has a nice little wave to surf if a swell is running in through the entrance.

If you stop at the little island at the entrance to Brave Boat Harbor be prepared to be asked to leave if the owners are around. I'm not sure if it's privately owned or owned by a land trust but they have not been happy with boaters stopping there and using it as a toilet.

The only drawback to launching at Chauncey Creek is that there is only enough parking for four or five cars.

You can also launch at the ramp next to the town dock at Pepperell Cove. This can be a busy place in the summer. If there is no place to park near the water, you can drop your board off at the ramp and park in the big dirt parking lot across the street.

At the end of Seapoint Road is Seapoint Beach. Parking is residents only, but it may be possible in the off season to drop your board off at the beach and park at the top of the hill where non resident parking is allowed. In the summer the parking is all residents only.

I think those are the only three launching options apart from Fort Foster.

A good 8 mile run is to circumnavigate Gerrish Island. You'll want to time it with the tide and have a following wind on the ocean. There may be some good waves to surf along the way.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:07:52 PM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 06:23:34 AM »
I have 3 fun paddles  I do regularly in the summer.  The first is like Shoals said, launching at  Chauncey Creek.  Has to be on or around high tide , but a beautiful area to paddle.  Many times I do 1 mile sprints up and down the creek, or I do the 8 mile paddle around Gerrish Island.  It's a great paddle with a lot of variety which includes paddling the creek, the open ocean and the winding marshes. Beautiful scenery..In July early August the green heads can be awful so bring some spray.

I have resident parking to launch at Seapoint Beach, but they added about 10 parking spaces for non residents last summer, so you can launch at the beach and enjoy some ocean paddling.  Depending on the wind, many times I launch at Seapoint and paddle up to Brave boat Harbor about 1/2 mile north.  There is a really fun machine made wave (left)that breaks at times.  The water and  scenery in Braveboat Harbor is incredible.  Crystal clear water and tons of wildlife, bass, seals, lobsters,crabs , deer , birds. Nice little beach to rest or have a lunch. You can paddle all the way up to RT 103 or take a left and go all the way through the marshes to Chauncey Creek.

Finally, for long distance training  I LOVE the York River.  I put in at Rt 103 at the kayak rental just before the bridge. On an incoming tide about an hour before high tide, I head inland about 7-8 miles.  It's such a nice paddle taking you under numerous bridges  and some great scenery and neighborhoods. There is very little boat traffic because they can't fit under the bridges.  It's a really fun paddle which starts out at the river mouth and slowly winds it's way to the end where it's only 6-7 ft wide.  I turn around and come back with the outgoing tide to complete the 14 mile paddle.  Of course you can make it shorter if you want.

Those are my 3 favorite paddles when there is no surf. One other paddle myself and a few friends including exetersup from the 'Zone did but wouldn't recommend was paddling the Piscatiqua River.  We put in at Stratham, NH and ended up in New Castle...talk about harrowing.  It is known as one of the strongest and fastest navigatible rivers on the eastern seaboard.  My GPS has us going 12 mph!!  Whirlpools, eddys, lobster buoys, tanker ships, you name it we rushed by it.  Paddling Under the massive I-95 bridge spans was crazy..the confused water that rushed around the supports and regrouped on the other side was chaotic and it took all your strength and balance to stay dry...it was an adrenaline pumping 10 miles but worth it on the other side as we stopped by some of the river side bars for a Guinness .  The patrons bought us beers and thought we were crazy to be on that river and they were right.  Don't think I will try that again

Board stiff just take look on google earth and type in Kittery Point. You will all the great places to paddle...send me a message starting in May when I am up there and. I'd be happy to take you for a paddle
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 06:42:06 AM »
Shoals, Carib, thanks for the suggestions! Those sound like some nice paddles, so I'll check 'em out when the weather warms up a bit.

SUPing the Piscataqua sounds like quite an adventure! I paddled the lower part a couple times last summer,  launching from goat island and paddling around New Castle Island and back to the start. I live by the Oyster River in Durham, and have wondered if I could time the tide just right to do a "downstreamer" from there all the way out to portsmouth harbor. I'd have to hit the General Sullivan Bridge just as the tide is changing there or else portage across Hilton Park, though, because the current passing under that bridge looks vicious most of the time.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 07:34:15 AM »
Hey Carib that's great that they added some new parking at Sea Point.

I live in Newington. For many years I've been trying to get the town to allow some non resident parking at Fox Point but they just won't give in. Our town is run by a bunch of snobs who like the "privilege" of having the place all to themselves. I guess they have no desire to visit other towns. They just don't get it.

The only public place to launch in Newington is Great Bay Marina. They don't mind people launching kayaks and paddleboards from the gravel beach at the west end of the parking lot. Just stay away from the boat ramp and beach area at the east end.

Exetersup was just telling me about the trip you guys made down the Piscataqua when we saw each other at Jenness Beach the other day. I've made the Portsmouth run from Newington to Wentworth by the Sea and back with the tide. Not quite the marathon you guys did though. You're right, it's not for the inexperienced.

I have been meaning to do the York River. It's on my to do list for when it gets warmer.

Board stiff, the General Sullivan Bridge isn't bad if you go through at the Newington end. The current can still be strong but there's no white water or eddies to contend with. There are a few rocks very close to shore to watch out for.  Other than that it's an easy glide through at any tide with convenient coves to pull into at each side of the bridge once you pass through.

Once on your way to Portsmouth, it's best to favor the Maine side and avoid the shipping and boat traffic at least until you pass the big power plant just before the 95 bridge, or you can just stay in Maine the whole way, taking the back channel behind the Navy Yard and then follow the Portsmouth waterfront on the way back.

I'll be around for a river run this spring or summer if you want some company.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:28:40 AM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

MaineSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 09:37:40 AM »
I second Carib surf's York River recommendation.   Carib showed me the way last summer and I've been back multiple times since.  If you time it right you get 14 miles with the tide pushing you almost the whole time, doing 6-7 mph without a ton of effort makes me feel like a superhero.

Some good routes in South Portland/Cape Elizabeth/Scarborough include- launching at Kettle Cove and paddling around Richmond Island (about five miles), north to south DW along Cape Elizabeth if the wind cooperates, and launching from Willard Beach in SoPo and heading out around Peaks Island (about five miles) or Great Diamond (little more than five miles).

Inn by the Sea is a nice place in Cape Elizabeth, bigger than a B&B but great location and very low key.
Coreban Dart 14'
SIC Bullet 14 V2
Sunova Speeed 9'2"
Red Sport 12'6"

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 12:43:10 PM »
as you can see there is a really nice group of Mainers/NHers  who SUP and willing to show you the territory.  Maine is a magical place to paddle

MaineSUP how are you surviving this winter? must be brutal but great for skiing/snowboarding?
see you in a couple months I hope

Shoals: ya I know what you mean about the snobs, quite a few of them in Kittery, but ya 10 spaces or so for non resident parking even in summer.  just drop your board off and drive up the hill to park.  I have surfed some very good waves here too and never anyone else.  When it's victory at sea of huge in York, Seapoint is mellower and even wind protected some at Seapoint. Big hurricane swells this is the place... It has two breaks a peeling long left at the point and another left and occasional right in the middle of the beach.  VERY rocky (round rocks mostly) I have learned  where they are but you might want to investigate at low tide some day and get an idea of what is beneath the surf....  The adjacent Crescent Beach can have good surf too but not as often..when it is a howling N'er it's offshore at this break which is nice.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »
York river sounds great! I've thought about paddling it everytime I drive over it on 95 and will have to give it a shot this year. Definitely interested in catching up with some of you seacoast Zoners to try some new paddling routes too.

Shoals, if you're looking for a launch in that area where the oyster and bellamy rivers meet little bay, there's a nice ramp that hardly gets used directly across from (north of) fox point  at the end of cedar point road in Durham. There's room to park a couple of cars there, though I've never seen anyone else around. Unless you hit the bridge at rush hour, it's less than a 10 minute drive from fox point and gives you options to paddle in any direction, which is nice when its windy or the tide is ripping through.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal