Author Topic: BOP 2014 - goodbye Doheny... good or bad?  (Read 28438 times)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: BOP 2014 - goodbye Doheny... good or bad?
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2014, 09:58:21 AM »
If there is a sliding scale that runs between Doheny and Mavericks, maybe the organizers can have the contest float from location to location for a few years and settle in on a venue for a specified term.

I'd like to see it held at Torrey Pines, Bolsa, Imperial Beach, Newport Pier, Ventura Pier, Hueneme, and Oceanside, just to see how they stack up to Salt Creek.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2014, 04:22:50 PM »
I posted this in another thread but I think it belongs here.

I get everybody's point, racing is racing. But if you have 30 people take of on a peeling left and go straight for the beach (with much carnage), why even have the race at a surf spot in the first place? There are miles and miles of closeout beach breaks in Southern California. Why not have it there and you can still have your exciting carnage and you would not have to impede on a very limited resource... surfable waves.

I can only equate it to having a kayak contest take over Steamer Lane and not any of the kayaks actually surfing the waves, just racing through them and crashing into each other in the process. It wouldn't go over very well with the local community, surf or otherwise. Once they made it a kayak SURF contest it was still a hard sell, but at least it made sense.  Surfable waves are a precious commodity in very populated urban areas. Would you close a crowded public golf course to run a marathon on the fairways and greens? The only thing that make sense about that entire video were the referees surfing in between the mass crashes and pile ups. I would sign up for that job in a second. I still think this video really shows our sport in a bad light.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2014, 10:35:08 PM »
If you get to Doho after 7:00 am you're carrying that diaper pail from the far reaches of the third parking lot, same as at Salt creek. Long walk. Last year I was at least a mile away. I dropped my board but carried everything else. Got to the beach and realized I'd forgotten something. I think I walked a good four miles just in the morning. Not up and down hill, but the ever increasing crowd guarantees the problem will escalate. That overflow lot even filled up last year--no parking anywhere on the site.

It's going to be a problem wherever it is. If it's not at Salt Creek next year than I'm especially glad I did both races this year. It was a unique event and I had a blast.

Stopped off at Randy Grubbs shop http://www.randygrubb.com/  and had a really fun visit, looking at his new projects and learning about the machines he's got. I'm going to have to scale up my hardware to do the kind of stuff he's doing. At the least I need a monster shrinker and stretcher like he has. Lovely machine but lots of money. The dies cost more than my current equipment. I almost blew off the visit, I was going up the coast and didn't want to take a huge detour getting home, but Google Maps showed me a route that was straight line and hardly added time or distance, and turned out to be a lovely drive.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal