Author Topic: BOP 2014 - goodbye Doheny... good or bad?  (Read 28543 times)

ZooSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BOP 2014 - goodbye Doheny... good or bad?
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2014, 01:39:36 PM »
Whoa...that is pretty gnarly. My race board is like my child... I'm very protective of it. Dont' know if I would risk it in that mess tomorrow.....

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2014, 02:00:08 PM »
As to venues, there are tons of beaches, just not one near Sparky's house. Be real, Santa Monica has an amazing event that could easily scale to be BOP.

Huntington could as well.

These would also penalize whoever turns down the event at Doheny and might get local biz to pitch in and gripe.

As I said, I'll be there, but my lunch money and more will probably be spent elsewhere as I want to surf this nice swell we're having.

Non-sponsored riders on a $2,000 board have to be rich or crazy so that means Pono might win every class. ;)

I'd join him but I can't seem to get into SUP when you don't get to sit outside the break and talk to your buddies every few minutes. That race strategy never seems to win.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
And the pics are starting to come in... already reports of at least 6 broken race boards.  Must be nice to be a team rider this weekend.

In light of this, I wonder if anyone is recalling Dave Kalama's Let's-race-only-inflatables! suggestion?

I don't think it's hard to justify these events at all.  This is why permits are paid for and granted for such events.  Some short boarder who surfs for 4 hours at SC, generates $4 in parking for the city.  BOP brings a lot of money to Dana Point.  Hotels, restaurants, and bars are a small sample of the businesses that benefit from this event.  Also, fringe businesses like shuttle buses, the setup crews, pretty much everything that comes along with large events.  It's a inconvenience to the locals for two days, the whiners will survive.

It may not be hard to justify economically for a municipality, but it goes against the idea of public access. Also, popular sites tend to be closed for multiple events, so it's not always just one set of 48 hours out of an entire season. It's a necessary evil, but I can understand why those who have no interest in an event have their feathers ruffled.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
BOP 2014 - goodbye Doheny... good or bad?
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
A Corporate takeover of a highly aggro "locals only" beach, on probably the last good SW swell of the season   What could possibly go wrong?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 08:12:42 AM by Cardiff Sweeper »

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2014, 09:58:12 PM »
Amazing event all around, and I really hope it stays at Creek.  Other than a lot of bruised egos I think there was more injury and equipment damage at Doheny from the shallow water & rocky bottom - broken toes, twisted ankles, ripped-out fin boxes and broken paddles.  The entire venue is far more scenic, and once you get past the surf zone you're paddling in beautiful clear water with lots of marine life.   For spectators, the hill wasn't too bad and the parking shuttles were running regularly, and the event staff was super helpful with the loading & unloading of vendor gear.  The oceanfront Kona Beer garden was in the shadow of $15M homes and had live entertainment too. 

Congrats to Sparky, Gerry, Barrett & everyone for making this an event for the ages.  If you missed it you really missed it.     
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:59:54 PM by capobeachboy »
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2014, 03:00:32 PM »
When does difficult access, lower attendance and participation equal a good thing?  A more thrilling venue for sure, but too much for most as the Open field was cut in half.  I'll bet now if the venue stands, the numbers will go lower...

mastman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2014, 03:53:57 PM »
I agree the open race numbers will continue to decline if the location stays at Salt Creek, but maybe that is ok with the organizers.  It was a great pro event, just not a great participation event.  If they want to cater to the pros, then rock on.  If they want to increase participation in the sport, then they need to make some changes. 
Quiver=
9'4" Hobie CM
12'6" Starboard Race
14' King's Race

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
good  dana point and the lifeguard national park   dips don't deserve the  money from our sponsors. maybe they should cleanup the water too worst pollution in so cal. beach
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »
Was the access that difficult?  There was a board drop off and shuttles running all day from free parking lots VS a $15 day pass at Doheny.  If you got there early enough you got to park for free at the Salt Creek lot all weekend which is normally a paid lot - I'd like to see the state give up that revenue!  I'd rather deal with that and paddle at of the most pristine beaches in SoCal VS park on the sand to paddle one of the beaches with the worst water quality ratings.  There's so many events at Doheny and that has long been my least favorite place to paddle.

Maybe the big surf kept the numbers down but everybody survived the beatings and I think that will make people realize that it's not that bad.  I always advise people starting out in surf racing to only bring what they feel comfortable swimming with.  Do you really need that iPod, hat, sunglasses, and hydration pack for a four mile race?  Also watch the water for at least a half hour beforehand to understand the timing of the swell and where the waves are breaking, and check the bottom conditions just off the beach so you can pick the best line.    A little clinic on going in & out of the surf beforehand might have been a good idea. 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2014, 05:11:47 PM »
Was the access that difficult?  There was a board drop off and shuttles running all day from free parking lots VS a $15 day pass at Doheny.  If you got there early enough you got to park for free at the Salt Creek lot all weekend which is normally a paid lot - I'd like to see the state give up that revenue!  I'd rather deal with that and paddle at of the most pristine beaches in SoCal VS park on the sand to paddle one of the beaches with the worst water quality ratings.  There's so many events at Doheny and that has long been my least favorite place to paddle.

Maybe the big surf kept the numbers down but everybody survived the beatings and I think that will make people realize that it's not that bad.  I always advise people starting out in surf racing to only bring what they feel comfortable swimming with.  Do you really need that iPod, hat, sunglasses, and hydration pack for a four mile race?  Also watch the water for at least a half hour beforehand to understand the timing of the swell and where the waves are breaking, and check the bottom conditions just off the beach so you can pick the best line.    A little clinic on going in & out of the surf beforehand might have been a good idea.

Hey!...Now I feel like I need to defend Doho.  Doheny is no longer one of the most polluted beaches in CA, although it is not close to the beauty and quality of Salt Creek.  Which is why the Dana Point Interpretive Association would be better benefited of the donations from a large event.  Honestly, access to Salt Creek BOP was a pain.  The shuttles were nice, but shuttles weren't needed at Doho, and who likes waiting in long lines for a shuttle after an event.  Also that a half mile walk down a hill to the beach wasn't so bad, but coming back up was no bueno.  And unless you were on the beach you had no way of knowing what was going on.  I was even on the beach when they announced the line up for the open race and I didn't hear it.  The action was way better though.  Not sure about everyone surviving the beatings.....I heard differently(broken boards and rumors of some broken bodies).  Personally, I'd like to see BOP return to Doho, but either way, it's still a great event and I will signup for next year. 
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2014, 05:21:22 PM »
I feel you guys, but it really wasn't as good. I think you are missing the perspective of a person who travels to the event.

I hated not being able to go to my car as a spectator. The shuttles took forever and having to carry everything you wanted to eat, wear or use during the day is a drag.

There was no camping.

There was no hotel you could walk from. My wife stayed home because had I had to go back to the shuttle and get my car and pick her up or take her to the hotel I would have missed hours of the event instead of minutes.

The hill was not bad, unless you were under or over a certain age. If you had kids, this was not your BOP.

Last year I paid 2 nights of a hotel and ate 6 meals in Dana Point for two.

This year I had no hotel and 2 meals for one. 4 hours at the event total. I suspect the numbers are similar for others. Rainbow and BOP may not care, I don't know. But trust me, Dana Point felt the difference.

mastman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »
Access was that difficult.  Board drop-off was great (although completely unguarded), but I agree with everything Jay and Surfcowboy said.  I brought two kids and it was brutal getting gear up and down that hill.  Brutal.

You could watch the water all day, but when the starters say go, you kind of have to go -- even if a set is closing in.  I lined up where it looked like the best path out all day, but when the starting horn went off, it was the wrong place to be for sure.

There is a Sports Illustrated article about the event.  They interview a family who drove 29 hours from Mississippi with 6 boards.  Only one of them actually participated.  I doubt they will be back next year.
Quiver=
9'4" Hobie CM
12'6" Starboard Race
14' King's Race

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2014, 07:19:58 PM »
Yes I'd rather pay the $15 to have my car right there. Were you even there capobeachboy? Because it sounds like you just read about the event "amenities" and didn't walk the walk. Literally, I walked up and down that hill at least half a dozen times both days. The board shuttle wasn't that convenient. Used it once and it felt like my board was going to fall off or another board's fin would ding it upon loading/unloading.

The big thing missing was the ability to paddle around and/or demo boards all day even if you're not racing. That's what got me stoked on my first BOP. I would love to compete there next year but would not want to spectate or deal with the logistics.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:28:09 PM by SaMoSUP »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »
I think a lot of the positive comes from the vendors and affiliates who were going up and down the hill with their own vehicles or event vehicles. I walked from Strand parking lot with all my crap, after waiting more than 30 minutes for a shuttle.  Joke! I get there and they hand you a bag of swag. Now what do you do with it. Every one else has the same bag. I just tossed mine in the bushes till later.  Just like old times. Took me 40 min. To get back to my car. Exciting to watch yes. Arena type of spectating not really. Doheny was way better. I doubt next year will have a great swell like that, but the non professional participation will be down.  I've surfed twice since the event,  and regained my perspective of what SUP is for me. Fitness & Fun. There are so many races now days that will appeal to the average competitive paddler. BOP is on it's way to being a professional sup tour event only. I think that's what they want anyway. As proof from the Elite events, there are enough young pros to sustain it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
Badger
Today at 04:47:38 AM
post Re: Can I use any tail pad?
[Gear Talk]
PhilSurf
April 26, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
post Re: Stand Up Paddle Boards
[Classifieds]
dietlin