Author Topic: NEW GoPro user:  (Read 4711 times)

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
NEW GoPro user:
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:00:20 AM »
 Hi guys... Deb (wife) gave me a GoPro fro Christmas. I have yet to use it and still playing with simply seeing how it works... I'm not one for 'selfies' but I do want to use it to take pics of others while in the surf-zone.
 There's a dizzying array of adapters for attaching it to various things but I'm not sure which to get... So asking for help from all of you GP 'geniuses' out there: What is the most important (or most used) adapter for a GP cam?  Thanks in advance - and paddle on,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: NEW GoPro user:
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:56:30 AM »
Head mount, paddle mount, chest mount, and tail mount facing forward are going to be my first choices. I also am just getting on board the "GoPro Train". Gonna start testing out the different mounts to see how results will vary. I like SupTheCreek's head mount views. He seems to be rather successful w/that view. My buddy gets good results on his longboard w/the tail mount facing forward, but most SUP riders will have to carve out a spot in the padding to configure that one.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfniels

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • surfniels.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:59:27 AM »
I recently made a swivel mount to attach on  helmet, I have only tested it for one quick (ICECOLD)run so far.
Here are two shots..

and after a little editing..

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 11:48:33 AM »
With all due respect to the other posters, if your goal is photos/videos of others, I wouldn't recommend a mount that you attach to yourself. With a head or chest mount, to get good videos of others you essentially have to act as the tripod, i.e. stand still. That's not 'fun' in my book.

To capture your surroundings and other SUP/SUS-ers you're better off attaching the camera to the most stationary thing out there: the board. In front, facing away from you and angled upwards (the resolution you select and height of the mount will affect the angle). For the best footage, check the framing via the GoPro app, or the LCD backpac before you head out. If you're worried about the mount going bye-bye in a wipeout, invest in a floaty back door (or jerry-rig something like a pool noodle to it).

:)
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

surfniels

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • surfniels.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 12:10:26 PM »
Sorry , I didn't catch the part about getting photos of "others".  ::)
For that I would suggest  mounting the amera to the paddle. I like having the camera mounted near the handle, it makes paddeling easier and its easy to point the camera at others..

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 07:36:10 PM »
 Thank you, Guys. Appreciate the comments... Surfercook; what type of mount is that above on the wood surface? SeaMe; thanks for the info on placing the camera on the front of the board facing front. My boards (all Exocets) have a FCS adapter up there specifically for a GP to be mounted. I'll have to try that and also get one of those floats you talked of... Much appreciated to all of you.   Paddle on,  JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 09:47:46 PM »
Some days I just stuff it in the pocket of my trunks and pull it out when I want to snap a few photos.  The floaty back is a good option and so is the little paper like things that keep the housing from fogging up.

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 09:46:29 AM »
The head mount is great... just look at what you want to record, and voila'.

I'll post some stills in the next reply....
                      but for now... enjoy the wonders, that are possible with the head mount

YouTube

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 05:26:15 PM »
Surfercook; what type of mount is that above on the wood surface?
Hmm, I assume you are speaking of that yellow object in the background? I've no clue, these pics are from a buddy who rocks a forward facing tail mount. This is what he said of it, "Suction cup go pro product. Stays on well, but not to well. I don't want to damage the thing so allowing it to come undone under extreme situations is ideal. I also have a clip I can detach and take off quick to shoot a buddy or whatever".
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 01:20:26 PM »
I've tried the paddle mount and hand held stick,  but find it works best for selfies,  although I have a friend that has taken some great shots with the paddle - holding it like a shotgun and also holding it straight up above his head with the cam tilted down.   Ideally you need a stabilizer to shoot vids if the cam is not hard mounted on the board.  But 1080 frame grabs look decent from a head cam.

Here's a 1080p frame grab from the other day

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 02:19:55 PM »
Great shot aircub!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 03:29:13 PM »
That is GoPro inspiration, aircub! Mine arrives tomorrow and I leave for Costa on Sun for a two weeker. Def gonna ROCK the board mount. Tail mount facing forward too! We had some nice waves here in NJ today, used my SOLOSHOT though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal