Author Topic: Another GoPro Xmas first timer  (Read 4082 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Another GoPro Xmas first timer
« on: January 19, 2014, 06:01:10 PM »
Here's the first try. Used a chest mount.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 06:02:49 PM by Tom »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Another GoPro Xmas first timer
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 08:48:50 PM »
Not bad. That looks like a gnarly decent to the break and I appreciated the view from the water looking at the steps. looked like a busy day. One thing I limit myself to in my vids is a three stroke max when catching the wave. I felt it stated to get tiresome watching alot of paddling for the wave on approach. This is one of my better production, waves were real nice this day which probably helped alot.  ;)

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 05:22:36 AM »
Hey Tom,
Interesting to see the chest mount view, thanks for posting it. I bet that would be a great vantage point on a head high wave... looking straight down the wall. Did you have to accommodate the mount at all, like having to make sure to face your chest toward the shoulder ~ (my question mark key is stuck) :-[

In the end, it was bumping around near the board... did it bang the cam at all~ ... I only ask, because I lost my first camera doing exactly the same thing... standing in chest deep water... hopping back on the board. It was a thinner Kodak Playsport, but the board ripped it right off the mount... bye bye... dirty water, waves, rocks and 50 feet below low tide mark. :'(

I am interested to see more of what the chest mount can do... since I lost a camera...I have only used mine on flatwater paddles with the GoPro. In flatwater, the paddle stroke interupts the view, so I switched to the headband mount.... which has it's own set of issues in bigger surf ;D

Keep them coming... it's fun to see the different results from a variety of mounts.

lee19

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 09:08:46 AM »

my first gopro vid.....Pavones, CR. 

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »
Hi surfercook. Nice soloshot footage. Looks like on a lot of shots you're offset to the right of the frame; on some others you're dead center. Is there some calibration you can do on the soloshot to center or offset the object being filmed?

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 11:40:21 AM »
supthecreek, I like the chest mount and I used it without any modification. Its what several friends have suggested. I used a helmet mount snowboarding that worked better than the chest mount, but I'm afraid a head mount would come off in a wipeout.

I'm having problems with gopro studio so the clip isn't edited the way I'd like. Another problem is there is a lit of washout because I'm surfing into the sun. It is my first try so it is just a learning experience.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 11:53:58 AM »
Slightly Stoopid?
Love those guys, one of the best SD bands ever!  ;)
It takes a quiver to do that.

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 02:25:54 PM »
The head mount will absolutely come off in a wipeout ;D

I stood right in the impact zone of a 6' wave to get "The Shot"...
I got it alright... smack between the eyes.  :o (pic #2)

I bought a new pair of work boot shoelaces... I used one as a tether for the gopro. I tied it tightly around the base of the camera, then threaded it through the head mount to come out the back.... then I tied the loose end through a grommet I installed into my wetsuit.
I used the strongest part of the neck/zipper area for safety. the camera has fallen off HARD many times and the tether works perfectly.(pic #1)

Pics...in case you didn't see them on another post :D

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 02:29:54 PM »
attn: SaMoSup. SOLOSHOT config is tricky. There are several factors involved including pan, zoom, horizon orientation, and pairing the armband w/the base. If you zoom in too tight the risk of being out of frame increases. Too far out and the action diminishes. If horizon isn't level and proportion correct as the cam pans the framing gets all wonky. But when you nail it it's worth the effort. If you're considering getting one def go w/the SOLOSHOT2, much improved. Also watch this vid and read the manual a couple times.

https://soloshot.com/instructions
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:33:18 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal