Author Topic: santa cruz - the hook - first bad SUP experience  (Read 33798 times)

Sup41

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: santa cruz - the hook - first bad SUP experience
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2023, 11:32:50 PM »
Curious if people still think the SUP Hook hostility is a thing? I moved to Santa Cruz 1 year ago, and having no context on this hostility, made the hook my home break for SUP surfing. I’ve even surfed 1st peak when it was less crowded, and had no problems. I’m no stranger to this kind of absurd behavior, though, and have found a few things that help.

1) Get chummy with the proners, especially if I sense irritation. “Get a couple??” And complimenting a good wave they had will go a long way to break the ice and prevent the tension from building up.
2) Make an effort to paddle around prone with the paddle blade under my chest, and sit down in between waves. It could be in my head, but I do think always standing up and over them increases the tension.
3) Know what you’re doing, and make it clear you know what you’re doing. Don’t fall off the board, don’t fall off the wave. If you’re doing this at a contentious break, you probably shouldn’t be there.
3) Obvious, but don’t be a wave hog.

Anyways, super curious if more SUPers have had luck at the hook since 2015. Thanks!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 11:37:53 PM by Sup41 »
Starboard Pro 7x10 (and a bunch of foil boards!)

slsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2023, 10:59:53 AM »
Good for you for sitting on your board and harmonizing with the surfers, how you act makes a big difference and reflects on all of us. I still think the e. side can be surprisingly crowded and hostile, no matter what you ride, and there are still a few crazy characters who will yell or try to bully sups or longboarders if they think they are out of place in "their" sacred hook shortboard lineup. I had an unpleasant encounter at sharks of all places with one of those kooks on a bigger crowded day. I'm guessing now that surf sup is declining or holding steady it probably feels less threatening to the surfers. For me personally I think its a good thing if the shortboarders have some spots where they don't have to mix with longboards and sups, and I don't go to those places in santa cruz. I hate crowds and feeling like I have to wait around to pick off a few scrap waves so I don't annoy anyone.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2023, 05:39:24 PM »
Don't see many SUP surfers surfing right at the Hook.

You probably know that just East of there at Privates & Sharks, etc.
there are a lot of SUP surfers but its more of a long board break.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 05:49:07 PM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2023, 10:43:50 AM »
I can't remember the last time I surfed the east side, the breaks near the hook were sup tolerant and paddling up from Capitola seemed like a good way to be free of knuckle heads.  I hear of some foilers out on higher tides.

Also I am done with trying to stay low or hide what gear I like, and trying to manage peoples feelings.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2023, 07:04:47 PM »
I got over worrying what dickheads think a long time ago. People think they can get away with something because they see someone else do it. Generally, bullies are just stupid.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2023, 01:01:05 PM »
Last time I was at the hook there was actually a SUP surfer being a pig.  He was back paddling everyone to the peak grabbing one for himself from every set.
Funny but somebody said he was actually a local cop.  Luckily there was a nice swell running so I just moved south a bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal