Author Topic: Nosara Costa Rica  (Read 10728 times)

jvnsupsurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nosara Costa Rica
« on: January 06, 2014, 04:07:45 PM »
Hi all, new to the SUP Zone, going to Nosara in a couple of weeks and wondering if anyone has rented there? If so where thanks in advance.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Nosara Costa Rica
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »
I know a few guys on here have, but I don't know where....  I haven't spent much time there since I started SUP so I'm not too dialed in.... we are mostly up in Tamarindo area when we go....  I'm sure others will chime in soon...
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

Geoff C

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 04:31:08 PM »
Skyrocketinflight just got back. Send him a pm iff he doesnt chime in
Geoff C.

jvnsupsurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 04:35:43 PM »

awesome Thanks

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 10:29:01 PM »
I will also be headed there in early Feb. and am looking for good suggestions.  Post up if you find anything out.  Ideally I'm looking for high-performance surf SUP

TheCityGame

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 06:35:43 AM »
That's where I first paddle-boarded and caught the bug.

I went to a surf school there a couple years ago, and there's an "off day" where you could go hiking, zip-lining, etc., and my wife and I went paddle-boarding. We didn't surf, but paddled some flat water rivers.

I'm 99% sure it was the company that seems to be the main one that pops up in a google search. . .Experience Nosara (we did the SUP bookings while we were there so I don't have any old emails or anything from them, but I think it was them). 

I think we paddled what their website calls the "Mangrove Tour", which I would recommend.

For surfing. . .I don't remember seeing many SUP's on what seemed to be the major surfing spot (Playa Guiones), but that was a few years ago, and I'm sure there are places to rent around there.

An old thread. . .

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=16977.0

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:07:03 AM »
I have been nosing around looking for 'a good pacific coast SUPspot'.  I surfed Nosara for a week about 18yrs ago but I keep thinking there are better geographic options both for conditions and accessibility. It looks really good in the waaay South of CR near Panama.  PilonSUP near Pavones has the location and all the gear.  There also seems to be plenty of decent rental gear in Nosara.

The negative for both of them, for me, is the extra $600. (+local taxi) it costs once my wife and I get to San Jose. Then, it is often required that you stay a night upon arrive and return in SJ so you can make the proper connections. I would prefer to spend my $$ (and two days) on something other than airfare/connections.

crtraveler.. probably get's off easier flying into Liberia (the other major CR airport).  I am sure he knows the best way, but there appears to be a $20 shuttle to Tamarindo. ($80 R/T for 2 vs $600+)   Again, he probably knows best, but years ago I avoided Tamarindo because it seemed too much a beach 'Honky-tonk' from the people I spoke to. Nosara was a great blend of serious jungle and civilization - back then.

I also looked into San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua.  It is not far from the CR border, but appears to be a hassle crossing the border and without reliable transportation.  There are a nice variety of breaks close by, rental gear and plenty of places to stay/eat, etc. in SJdS.  Coming in from Managua may not difficult as SJ/Nosara, but not as inexpensive as getting to Tamarino.   

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

bigbear

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:37:29 AM »
Call Limodan at 011 506 8718 7197,  he's in Guiones/Nosara and we use him all the time.  I know he doesn't charge 600 round trip.  Tell him Drew sent you.

Skyrocketnflight

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »
Look up Nosara Paddle Surf. He has great gear. $60 bucks for intel, pick up/drop off, board rental and pics.
He knows all the spots in Garza, Guiones. Ostinal.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 01:18:04 PM »
Rocket,  I confuse easily.. When I look them up, I get "Dave Boehne's SUPsurf camp" with pictures of Infinity boards (salivary glands fully functional at this point) ...then I step on my tongue when I see the packaged deal: $5k for two people ..and Corbean boards?   Maybe they simply do not explain the deal you got on their site? ..or is this a different group?

Jim

Skyrocketnflight

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 02:36:26 PM »
Thats for the high end camps.

You want to hit him up in between those Camp weeks, unless the camps attract your attention. Heard they are great.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
I've hit Coast over a dozen times in the past 10 yrs or so. Just started SUP surfing there last yr, but only put in 2 sessions in the 30 days I was there because I didn't have a SUP w/me. I managed to borrow one from a cool guy I met where I stay in Marbella which is about an hr north of Nosara. It was a FULL tanker though. I hit Nosara about three times and almost pulled the trigger on a SUP sesh but opted for a longboard rental instead. Which brings me to my point, you can rent SUPs at a few of the local shops there, but i saw some decent boards at Coconut Harry's which is located at the southern portion of the town. Tossed in a vid of my SUP session in Marbella. You'll need to be on facebook to view it though.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151476846327682&l=9184903592808970934

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:07:35 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 06:01:55 AM »
Marc, Even the dogs were Whooping for you...  Nice to see someone having a good time. 

Jim

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 08:38:13 AM »
Thanx, Wetstuff. lol, but stray dogs are a MAJOR problem in CR. I know a few people in CR that work real hard to capture, spay-or-neuter, and release strays.
This day was WAY more fun, although a bit chillier!
Can't Get Enough
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 04:50:19 PM »
Been in Costa for almost two weeks now and finally made it down to Nosara/Guiones for a SUP sesh. Lucked out w/perfect offshores and ok swell. Grabbed a 9'6' Naish from Coconut Harry's. Not the ride of choice but renters can't be choosey! The GoPro paddle mount I used didn't fit over the wide part of the shaft so I mounted close to handle. Also a bit of condensation formed on housing. plenty of stoke though!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152238442902682.1073741887.785257681&type=1&l=2aac567754

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal