Author Topic: Cabarete, Dominican Republic  (Read 2897 times)

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:06:26 PM »
Going to be visiting in a few months and looking for anybody with local knowledge of spots

any help?
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Re: Cabarete, Dominican Republic
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:11:17 AM »
Hi Reid,

Spent a lot of time in Cabarete over the last 11 years. Mostly kiteboarding but the last 3 of those just SUPing. There are I guess 3 main spots. The reef in Cabarete Bay, the reef off Kite Beach and the surf spot Encuentro. I usually SUP Kite Beach as the reef is closer than the bay and I find the wave a little cleaner. There is also a spot half way between which has a really nice waves, lefts and rights with a good channel each side, but it can be a little choppier at times. (you can easily paddle to either reef area from Kite Beach or Cabarete.)

Encuentro, don't surf it, too many proners and I don't want to bother them or fight for waves. It is a nice wave and a few SUPers go out. A crowd at Kite Beach is 5 paddlers. But usually less. Some guys do downwinders in the surf from Cabarete to Encuentro, but obviously you need a ride back.

The place is known for wind sports and the wind can be a little bothersome in all places except Encuentro. Trades usually pick up anywhere from sunrise to midday so mornings are usually the only chance to ride.

PM if you want more info - places to stay, rentals, schools etc.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

northstoke

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:12:04 AM »
^ good info - how consistant is it there? i was in cabarete once but was staying in sosua and i didn't see any waves at all. the bars on the beach at night were sure wild tho, woah. those dominican girls are pretty crazy but i think they were after my wallet more then my charming smile ;)

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:12:16 AM »
There is usually a wave of some kind. It just depends how much/early the wind gets on it. Cabarete is where the water sports action is. Waves, wind, etc. I have a suspicion you are right about the Sosua girls.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 05:30:21 PM »
Thanks for the info GWS I will PM you!
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »
Like Julian, I have kited there a number of times.  It can be Grand Central Station at rush hour. I would suggest anyone paddle around a bunch of hormone loaded and newbie kiters. The 'wave spot' I saw west of kite beach was waaay too small to hold a crowd.  (there may be better spots, but I was there to kite)

It's cheap/quick to get to from the States/Canada ..airport transfer is also cheap compared to many 'destinations'.   ...and, your first: 'Polish cleaning lady walking down beach topless' ..will be priceless.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Supmmm

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 12:49:19 AM »
Hey Reid - don't go, the place is awful ;)

All kidding aside, a great spot to go supping. If you do hit the waves on either side of kite beach make sure you get someone to show you were the channels are, that reef can bite, got some fire coral there as well ( I speak from experience)
Have also supped encuentro beach, decent enough vibe with the proners. If you go u will notice fewer riders to the right side of the main break away from surf schools, that's a good spot to start.

Great food and nightlife as well, go there yearly, was just there this past November and the waves were pumping! Enjoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal