Author Topic: This Girl Rocks: Started Girls Football  (Read 1637 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
This Girl Rocks: Started Girls Football
« on: February 08, 2018, 03:25:44 AM »
This girl is super motivational, a great speaker and truly impressive for age 14.

Her acceptance speech at the NFL honors.

Wow!!!!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/0ap3000000914005/Sam-Gordon-wins-inaugural-NFL-Game-Changer-award

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: This Girl Rocks: Started Girls Football
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 05:31:14 AM »
I watched the show and I think she got the best applause of the night. Impressive young lady for sure. Obviously demand for it seeing how fast it's grown but as a parent I'm not so sure about encouraging my daughter (or son if I had one) to play a sport where concussion is so common. I enjoy the game but the connection to long term damage is too clear to ignore anymore. I only played in high school and had at least 3 bad concussions and probably lots of small ones. When I see young kids playing Pop Warner with their heads bouncing off the ground now I cringe.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:24:26 AM »
I saw her youth coed videos when they first came out, and said, @$#%, she's a rocket!

I say to myself and anyone listening to me that football is a stupid sport, for all the reasons Stoney just shared.  The concussion issues aside, I think we as members of a free society should be allowed to do stupid (read: risky) things, as long as we're informed.  Beasho, you're a classic example of surfing a spot (with your awesome daughter I might add) that scares the hell out of me and most that see it break.  Yet you're a staunch advocate of wearing good safety gear, knowing the conditions, and doing all you can to make the fun you have safe.  Girls shouldn't be prevented from taking risks...as long as they're informed.

Sam's poise speaking is already pro level.  Perhaps through this experience and ones to come, we got an early glimpse at the first female commissioner of a major sport. I'm on board.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:41:58 AM »
I can't get the link to work.
I missed her recent speaking but saw something on her last fall sometime and thought, "wait, that's the same girl from a few years ago in that video." 
Really impressive and special person she is. I remember being blown away by her speaking when I saw it last fall.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 12:10:52 PM »
Good God!  She is like a Darren Sproles, or Reggie Bush, or watching the defensive action . . . . Deion Sanders.

I wonder if she is kicking as much a-s against the girls as she was against the guys. 

This link DOES NOT WORK IF YOU CLICK ON IT.

Copy the following and Paste it into your browser's URL:

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-super-bowl%2F0ap3000000914005%2FSam-Gordon-wins-inaugural-NFL-Game-Changer-award-NFL-Honors
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:30:41 PM by Beasho »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal