Author Topic: Nailed by a Stingray. Chapter Two: Serious Infection  (Read 18262 times)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Nailed by a Stingray. Chapter Two: Serious Infection
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2013, 12:18:44 PM »
Got a boot that WON'T eliminate it but I bet it will minimize it and you can still SUP (surf & Flatwater) in it. Windsurf & Kite in too!

And yes the ZONER discount applies to these too!

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

uglysupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 06:44:59 AM »
(Sorry if the answer to this question is posted elsewhere in the thread and I missed it)

I've had one bad MRSA/staph infection. I do NOT want another one. The first one started from a nick the size of piece of rice, and grew to a inch-wide hold in my leg.

Blue Crab, let's say I'm surfing at Kanaha, and scrape my foot on the reef. Not bad enough to stop surfing, blood visible but not 'bleeding'.

What do I do when I come in? soap and water? anything else? creams, ointments, sanitizing agents?

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »
As careful as I try to  be I still manage to get a puka from time to time from the reef at Kanaha (or other Maui beaches).  I gave up on doing anything more than washing the sand out of it as soon as I can. Seems like the puka will do what it wants regardless of what measures I take. Most of the time they just heal up quickly but sometimes not. Never have gone to a doc for one though. My impression is that what really matters is keeping the dirt out of the thing while it is healing. Walking on the beach after surfing or sailing, or wearing slippahs around town is where dirt gets in it, IMO.
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »
Hi uglysupper, My advice is just to wash the wound vigorously with soap and water when you get in from your session.  I wouldn't recommend any use of creams etc… I sometimes use a bandaid to limit further trauma but this won't do anything in regards to limiting infection.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that be can done to prevent 100% of infections. The key is to identify a possible infection and can get seen really early.  I would check your wounds every 6 hours while it heals. If it starts to turn red, tender, or develop a whitehead, then go get seen immediately.

Hope this helps and happy new year to all.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 04:00:06 PM »
When you get a small, bleeding injury, should you exit the water immediately?  After my encounter with the stingray, I went ahead and SUSed for quite awhile until the pain became unbearable.  My wife thinks that's why I got the infection.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2014, 12:27:14 PM »
Just a week ago, I said that I have never had a staph infection. Well that has changed.  Recovering from a pre-patellar bursitis.  It is trying to ruin a perfectly good ski trip as we speak.  Definitely got it through an abrasion on my knee but caught it pretty early so hopefully won't be too much of an impediment on life.

Kevin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2014, 12:42:36 PM »
When you get a small, bleeding injury, should you exit the water immediately?  After my encounter with the stingray, I went ahead and SUSed for quite awhile until the pain became unbearable.  My wife thinks that's why I got the infection.
It depends on how good the waves are.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2014, 12:48:48 PM »
When you get a small, bleeding injury, should you exit the water immediately?  After my encounter with the stingray, I went ahead and SUSed for quite awhile until the pain became unbearable.  My wife thinks that's why I got the infection.
It depends on how good the waves are.

LOL, so true!  When the stingray got me this time, I SUS'd for another 45 minutes until the pain was unbearable.  Finally, I said that's it; time for the bucket of hot water.  Waves were really fun that day, hated to go. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 01:19:21 PM »
This is really great to have a Zoner  Doc for  "wound questions".

Sorry to hear your issues Blue Crab.

Hope you heal quickly !

My only 2013 visit to a Doc in Maui was for a reef cut/infection...guess it was a great year.

Skyrocketnflight

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »
Always get a stingray sting treated professionally. If you are on vacation what is an extra $100.

I got an anti-venom shot, novcaine, and then they cleaned and augered the hell out of it in a sterile environment.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 06:06:12 PM »
Always get a stingray sting treated professionally. If you are on vacation what is an extra $100.

I got an anti-venom shot, novcaine, and then they cleaned and augered the hell out of it in a sterile environment.

I'm going to do that too if, God forbid, it happens to me again.  It's better than missing two weeks in the water.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
Medical hydrogen peroxide can really help in initial stage. If you get cut pour it on, and it does NOt hurt!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal