Author Topic: linter - Punta de Mita  (Read 47446 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: linter - Punta de Mita
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2014, 04:28:54 PM »
 :'(  went to a physical therapist in bucerias who told me to stay off the SUP for at least another week.  good thing there's no waves for me to get upset about,  but what to do all day?  no hookers in this town!  none!
   ha, ha, i wouldn't know about that.  but, man, am i getting bored.  come on, some of you, visit punta de mita.  let's go on a road trip!

supthecreek

« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2014, 07:18:05 PM »
send me a ticket.... I'm there.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: linter - Punta de Mita
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2014, 05:53:46 AM »
Nice waves, just my size... Bummer about your ankle...rest it up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2014, 02:15:03 PM »
jon; wil get some pix but, yeah, that's the place.  i'm thinking of trying to move to sayulita, though.  i need lefts with a few rights, not the other way around.

but i wont be getting nothing for a while, since i twisted my ankle exiting the surf the other day.  what a trip, man.  i don't know whether to laff or cry.

here's short vid of a few waves from yesterday.  nothing special.

Punta de Mita 1/26/14

Hey you are riding the Blair 9.7 from coral reef in the end of the video !  I rented that board once  . Did you buy it ?  Thought he sold it last time I was there in august .  I bought the new JB 8.5 from him to leave down there.  I love staying at the la quinta del sol in mita !  Going 3/24 to 4/3 and again in june.  

Jim from  pdx

HRorbust

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2014, 08:58:34 AM »
Hey Linter,

Hows the ankle?  Been waiting for updates along the way.  Love the area down there and am living vicariously thru your posts!

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2014, 09:43:12 AM »
well, it's official.  unlike everyone else who is in love with this area, i have grown to hate it.  has nothing to do with the fact that it twisted my ankle and gave me the craps.  those things are small potatoes.  no, it's the fact that during my 41 days here, we've had exactly 8 days with waves.  and looking at the forecast, ain't nothing coming for the next week, either, so let's make it 8 days out of 50 with no surf.  jesus fecking cripes.

not only that ... out of those 8 days, only two, maybe three, had conditions that i'd call nice -- i.e. glassy, no chop, no funk.  every other day, you wake up and there's cross-breeze conditions as far as the eye can see -- a sad state of affairs that can last all day or least until an hour or two before dusk, by which time i'm an upset and angry drunk who is super pissed off about the 10 hours of bullshit that i've had to sit through and, by that time, like I said, I'm soused, but, like I also said, it wouldn't matter if I was stone cold sober, 'cause there ain't no fecking waves!!!!!

i tell you, i'm so over this place that i have half a mind to return to last year's winter mistake, ie North Carolina, and see what i think of it now.  ha ha just kidding.  never.

okay, for various reasons, i've got to stay here until march 8 or so, but after that, I'm gone -- either back to Rhode Island or, if somebody can recommend another warm spot, I'll think about it.  And don't mention Florida.  Howling NE winds all day long.  Side shore, onshore chop heaven.  Please give me a break.

if you don't know my wants, here's the skinny in brief: warm but not boiling (CR is boiling), smallish waves, consistent, lefts, off shore freaking winds in the morning or a good likelihood of same, easy access to an airport, inexpensive housing of one kind or another, easy walk to the *left* if you don't have a car.  Punta de Mita has all of that except for the waves, the lefts, and the offshore wind.

i gotta get out of here.  goddamn.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2014, 10:16:16 AM »

i tell you, i'm so over this place that i have half a mind to return to last year's winter mistake, ie North Carolina, and see what i think of it now.  ha ha just kidding.  never.

You made me laugh. I'd still trade you in a NY minute. It snowed here last week. HELP, I need to get out of here.

Driving to NE wind hell this weekend  ;D  but the water is warm.

You need to kitesurf and SUP.

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2014, 11:37:43 AM »
Dude, you are in Paradise   I lived there for 16 years and loved it   Your main problem
Is that you are not mobile  if you had cheap wheels you would love it  entry of surf all up n down the coast

Try Santa Cruz  it's a small village just north of San Blas  left point very old Mex and cheap  another place is north of Maxatlan called Dimas or Marmol   If you go south of PV the weather gets much warmer

Now Baja is a good choice   Cerritos always has a good left, but it pounds hard    

Another great left is punta Cornejos   It's primiative camping  it blows a bit, but early is usually clean  it gets size, but the waves gets much smaller the farther down the bay you go

Good luck

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2014, 01:00:29 PM »
glad i could make you smile, dw!

bajasurf.  firstly, my main problem is not my lack of wheels, it's me, pure and simple, me.  that said, wheels would certain help!  I'm going to investigate those places you mention.  maybe one of them will work out better for my, uhmmm, special needs.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2014, 01:07:50 PM »
Maybe Linter has found the perfect SUP spot and wants to keep it to himself so he's giving false reports. ;) :o :-\ ::) ??? 8) :o ;D

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2014, 01:44:50 PM »
Maybe Linter has found the perfect SUP spot and wants to keep it to himself so he's giving false reports. ;) :o :-\ ::) ??? 8) :o ;D

Hmmmmmmmm.....hmmmmmmm
 8)
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

TDoc

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • surfinoregon.com
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2014, 10:38:58 PM »
It was flat in late march. Got skunked there and at Sayulita...correction: there were waves...just miniscule and no guts.
I'm back in Portland now so I'm sure it's solid by now.

doc

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2014, 08:42:52 AM »
When you go to the PV area, and want to surf.  I recommend renting a car and you are willing to travel to find surf... If you are going to Sayulita, enjoy Sayulita, but Sayulita is a gutless crappy wave, even with size..if you are going to the four seasons, surf the point at Mita, a fun zippy gutless wave... There are 20 or more breaks in the area, that seem to always hold some surf..

The PV is a hugely protected area.  the majority of south swell is blocked by Cabo Corrientes, and west and north swell by the massive Tres Maria islands.  You need good solid swell for this pace to work. As far as Mita goes, the swell has to wrap to get into the bay..

When I lived there, I would go nuts sometimes to the lack of waves, and then it was time for a road trip south..Just a hour south of PV, the waves get power and size...  Two hours south and they pick up everything, North, West and South swell..Three hours south and you get serious waves. 

So if you go for the waves only, and you pick the PV area, you are taking a big chance of getting skunked, or getting small gutless waves.. The area is amazing, so if surfing is second to the vacation, the place rocks.

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2014, 11:17:59 AM »
Interesting to read this thread.  Just booked my flight down to Punta Mita for the post xmas period.  I've been down in the area before as my cousin has a place on the beach in Chacala further North.  That Chacala left is great wave.  My cousin has a Panga and we would go there for morning sessions and pretty much have it to ourselves.  Gets a little shallow at low tide and there are tons of Sea Urchins - if you go, bring booties (I use the bodyglove barefoot max - read a review on the zone a while back) - the one time I forgot them I got a ton of spines in my foot and was picking them out for weeks...

This time around we're doing Punta Mita since my wife isn't comfortable yet surfing the point at Chacala. The waves in Punta Mita seem to be more her speed and I'm going to be working through part of that period so I want to have a place where I can see the surf from the hotel and get my sessions in when I can. We'll also be renting boards since it's too much of a hassle paying ridiculous fees to get the boards there. 

We're thinking of staying at Hotel La Quinta Del Sol while we're there.  Seems like a good deal for a Surfer-focussed hotel and gets great ratings on TripAdvisor.  Love to get anyone else's thoughts on the area though.  We'll probably rent a car for the week so we'll be able to get around.  The point at Burros looks pretty tasty if there's any decent swell.
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2014, 07:56:30 AM »
Chacala is my favorite wave ever!  Rode it on a 6'2" prone board and would love to try it on a SUP.  Stayed at Costa Azul in San Pancho when I went.  Had to pay the guys in the harbor at Chacala to take me over in their pangas, no land access, but it's worth the hassle.  I hope to go back sometime in the next few years.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal