Author Topic: Ever go for a night paddle or night SUS?  (Read 7304 times)

punasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ever go for a night paddle or night SUS?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
I do it all the time.  No lights is the way to go.  Not only will the light kill your night vision, but I firmly believe it will attract sharks. I would get more detailed, but just had shoulder reconstruction and typing w/one hand sucks.  Great/only way to get solo sessions.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 03:53:36 PM »
I paddle with Nocqua lights all the time & they're fun for exploring.  Going out to watch the Newport Christmas Boat Parade tonight.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 11:19:28 PM »
I agree with Punasurf. When you go night fishing, you use a light to attract fish.....not a good call. Plus it kills your night vision.

I have SUP'd a very famous so cal surf spot many times on a full moon. One night I got it head high and all the way to the pier; perfection. The waves were stiring up the photo plankton and the wall of the wave was glowing in front of me. Like a crazy acid trip. One of the coolest things I have ever done!  I highly suggest it, but skip the lights, you'll get the feel of it after a bit.

Southbay

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 02:05:04 AM »
Gone a few times in Waikiki. Pretty ideal, gentle wave, lots of reflected light from the hotels, and a pretty consistent impact zone.  Mostly have gone on real small nights.  Used to prone surf larger nights out there as a kid. I could never really see the waves far enough away to make it work in bigger surf. You can surely see the clean up sets after they've broken outside. Fat lot of good that does.

It can get pretty crowded out there. We've got a pretty good southern wrap from a large north swell. It's midnight here....would not surprised if there were guys out right now.

Put something shiny  on your paddle.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 03:50:47 AM »
I paddle with Nocqua lights all the time & they're fun for exploring.  Going out to watch the Newport Christmas Boat Parade tonight.

I've seen underwater lights on boats and they are fantastic for watching sea life and everything on the bottom. I never thought of putting them on a paddleboard. 

I'm definitely getting a set.

Great.  Yet another reason to go paddleboarding. This sport just keeps getting better.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

LouKYPaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 05:52:49 AM »
There's a group of us in MDR that paddle every Wed & Fri at 7pm....We have all the USCG required gear.

Would you care to detail your lighting, etc. gear used?

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 06:35:11 AM »
A thought for you who night paddle on flat water where there may be boat traffic I want you to think about.

I used to run cg safe boat here in Crescent City as cg coxswain. I trained to drive the boat at night in the ocean. A boaters vision at night is very distorted by the shore lights and distances are hard to determine. The lights of other vessels tend to blend into the shore lights. With that in mind, think of other factors such as boat speed and number of boaters, state of mind and track record of boating accidents at night and you should quickly realize it is very dangerous. 

Also remember that you are responsible for you. Many would like to help you but they can be tethered to a leash. If you go at night for a paddle make sure you exercise caution, have the light and life jacket. Maybe go beyond that and leave a float plan and a time expected to return and several lights that include a strobe so you can be different than the shore lights.

I am not trying to tell you what choices to make, just do the things that will increase your visibility and others awareness of your position. One of the last boating accidents I read about was a cg vessel running into another vessel at night killing some of the passengers. Speed was a factor and it was crowded. These guys are trained and this accident happened.  Think about the boater who only occasionally does night boating and does not have a clew and might be impaired, which is why I say

you are responsible for you.

Be safe. 

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 11:39:52 AM »
There's a group of us in MDR that paddle every Wed & Fri at 7pm....We have all the USCG required gear.

Would you care to detail your lighting, etc. gear used?

Pretty simple, PFD on waist and bright white light. That is all the MDR coast guard checked me for when I got pulled over once because I only had flashing green lights. He said you need a white light. Red and green don't qualify as required safety gear for paddleboards. I thought that strange since boats have red/green lights.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard