Author Topic: MAGDELENA BAY....BAJA  (Read 6903 times)

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
MAGDELENA BAY....BAJA
« on: December 19, 2013, 12:24:05 PM »
Has anyone been there??....Putting together a trip with my brother in July to celebrate our 50th year of surfing together....looking for a unique and special surf/sup/fishing trip....Have been to a lot of other places in Mex, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Fiji, and Hawaii.  Looking for an uncrowded good time!!  MAGBAY looks pretty cool....If anyone has been there appreciate thoughts or comments.....or suggestions on other venues we might consider...  Tim

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: MAGDELENA BAY....BAJA
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 12:57:26 PM »
   I've not been there tde, I was looking for an older link of my trip report to Cabo and noticed you've been there as well. I don't know if you've been 45 minutes north of Cabo to Cerritos or San Pedritos , but those are two great little places to surf with staying options from luxury, to awesome $ 30 a night rooms. I only spent 2 day trips here and I wished I stayed  there instead of Cabo.
   I'm posting my link as there are some useful links to accommodations. Happy hunting and please provide a trip report with pics when you get back!

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=19149.0

tde

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 01:27:43 PM »
Thanks 8...You're right...I've been to Cabo a number of times...went with my brother to celebrate my 60th birthday (we look for an excuse to take a surf trip every year!!)...I been to Cerritos a couple of times...nice... but when traveling I'm always looking for those special "point" breaks as opposed to beach breaks like Cerritos.  I understand there are three point breaks on Magdelena Island which is sparking my interest....Would love to hear from someone who has been there.....Tim

PS the pic is of me dropping in on one of the point breaks at the East Cape north of Cabo.....

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 02:24:27 PM »
3 different points. All of them only break in summer south swells (180 to 210 degrees, about the same as Scorpian Bay). A lot of different options to surf when it breaks. Rocks and lots of heavy offshore winds at times. The camp is the best way to access it.
We went there 10 years ago the hard way only to find people in the surf camp kicking back and eating lobster. I would stay at the camp if I were to go again. Would love to go there with a stand up.
Fun place as it is really remote.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 02:30:24 PM »
I know two groups that went to the camp, one loved it and the other thought it was too much money for what they got. Like most surf spots, I,m sure it depends on the conditions you get.

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »
a friend of a friend goes to the camp there every year in July,always sends him pics of waves that make you drool,with only him,his son and another out.We checked it out,but was too much money flying from Hawaii to there,all day drive to get to it also from airport.
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

KSP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: MAGDELENA BAY....BAJA
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 07:09:51 PM »
If you are looking for some killer spearfishing, get ahold of Tim at Palapas Ventana in La Ventana.  It is on Sea of Cortez outside of La Paz.

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:59:50 AM »
I go there all the time to fish...

If you want to get away from it all, thats the place... Fly into Loreto or La Paz. From La Paz its 3 hour drive to Lopez Mateos, then boat ride to the Island, hop on a pickup truck for 20 minutes and then you are there.

Here is my take... Rent a hut/kitchenette with Mag Bay outfitters, about $100 day.., its a 1/2 mile walk or short panga ride to the surf spot.  The waves I saw made me go nuts...All reef break looked pretty big and heavy, I saw one wave that was kind of mushy, but for the most part, you better have game....

The waters once were teaming with sharks, but the local fisherman have taken care of that problem.  It is deep water though before it hits the reef.

The waters are teaming with fish and you can beach fish right there..Orange mouth Corviana, California Halibut, yellowtail, snapper, jacks, roosterfish, its all the in Santa Maria bay... If you go in a panga it can be world class fishing for striped marlin,  wahoo, tuna, and dorado.  The fall is the best time for offshore fishing...  If you want to fish, use Mag Bay outfitters, they do a great job..

I want to go one day, but if I am going on a road trip, I just got to Scorpion Bay.  

SupSurfIsSurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 10:45:22 AM »
Where is that picture taken?  I'm going to cabo march 7-9... Where should I stay I really want to surf while I'm there.  Thanks!!
Wavestorm 9'6" (Reitred)
Riviera nugg 9'2" (Retired)
Coreban Vibe 8'0" (Retired)
Infinity Blurr 8'2"
J Sleigh 7'4"
Beater Bord 9'0"

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »
March is a bit early for South swells , so for a surer thing, go to Cerritos surf colony  great surf right out front 

If you want to bet on a south swell, tons of places to stay, but I recommend San Jose  that way the east cape opens up for you

tde

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »
Where is that picture taken?  I'm going to cabo march 7-9... Where should I stay I really want to surf while I'm there.  Thanks!!
I see you found the post I did after my most recent trip to Cabo last spring. For surfing be sure to stay in San Jose del Cabo and hook up with Alfredo from SUP Mexico. (across for the Cabo Surf Hotel) They have good rental boards and can give you info about the breaks up on the East Cape....some really good waves up there!!!  Tim

PS..also, if you are down in Cabo be sure to paddle across the bay to Lover's Beach..lots of seals and amazing rock formations...Have fun!!

SupSurfIsSurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 06:58:19 PM »
I did I'm so excited. I'm trying to be grateful for getting to go but I'm daydreaming about a two week plus trip... Drewl

Thanks for the info!!
Wavestorm 9'6" (Reitred)
Riviera nugg 9'2" (Retired)
Coreban Vibe 8'0" (Retired)
Infinity Blurr 8'2"
J Sleigh 7'4"
Beater Bord 9'0"

alexv

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 07:20:06 PM »
I was there in November on a Spearfishing trip with PalapasVentana.com. We were spearfishing Thetis Banks for Wahoo. I was staying at the camp on the cliffs right near the river mouth. I didn't have a board (SUP or Surf) and it killed me seeing perfect 3 -4 ft rivermouth waves peeling with nobody out. The last day I was there, on the way out the mouth of Mag bay there is a right reef break that was peeling at 4 -6 ft, again, nobody out. I would have paid anything for a sup or surfboard.

Talk to Tim at PalalasVentana.com, he can set you up in those cabins at Mag bay. The panga driver you want is Alejandro, he is a local lobster fisherman out there.

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 04:21:12 AM »
That river mouth is a perfect wave sometimes. I have never seen anyone out surfing at the points, just beautiful pounding waves.    I see the remains of the surf camp, but thats it. 

tde

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 08:18:42 AM »
Thanks for all the comments on MagBay!!!  WE PULLED THE TRIGGER and have a group of six heading down there the week of July 19-26th....Should be some great south swells and we are TOTALLY STOKED...Looks like it should be an amazing SUP Adventure and I can't wait for summer to get here!!.....Tim

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill