Author Topic: Who is the oldest person you know of that surfs on an SUP?  (Read 12589 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who is the oldest person you know of that surfs on an SUP?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 01:49:40 PM »
I love this topic because it lets me know that at 50 I have the potential of many years of active fun still left to enjoy. I see several folks in their 60's and 70's out all the time, but for friends we surf with a couple in Santa Barbara and she's 60 (something) and learned to sup surf just recently.  I think that taking the sport up in your 50's or 60's is very doable.  If your body doesn't force you out of the water, then there's no reason to leave. :)

Right on, SJ.  That's exactly why I asked the question, because I am mid 50's and don't want to quit SUS anytime soon.  I suppose it's a "use it or lose it" kind of thing.  Barring major health crisis, those who keep athletic are more likely to be able to continue into their later years.  I think parking on the couch and turning on the TV as a way of life, is the antithesis of this.  
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 03:26:26 PM »
If Pono only SUS's Kanaha and Dogpatch he could be in the game for a long time :-)

surfk9

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 04:20:13 PM »
Now that the "Old Farts" are gathering shouldn't the talk turn to what ails you and what infirmities you SUS/SUP with.  I'm 67, halfway to 68 coming up on 50 years in the water.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 05:37:25 PM »
If Pono only SUS's Kanaha and Dogpatch he could be in the game for a long time :-)

I have to confess I've backed off on the outer reef stuff. I keep getting my ass handed to me at Tidy Bowls, and I've only been to outer Sprecks, Noreiga, and Lanes on the little days. My old favorite, Euro, never has anyone other than me, and it's just creepy being in big, outer reef stuff with no one around. I always have fun at Kanaha, and these days I get a good shot of adrenaline getting out of the sack.

Seriously though, the only secret is just keep going. I've met a thousand people that "used to". Used to ski, ride mountain bikes, race cars, ride motorcycles, surf, windsurf--you name it. Don't "used to". Ever. Fine to swap one for another, but don't quit and just watch. Watching is like masturbation--okay if it's all you can do.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 05:37:57 PM »
I am 60 and usually the oldest gut out. but recently i surfed with a guy who was 70 and  really doing it well.  This year marks 48 years in the water for me. longer than both my marriages combined.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

srowndedbyh2o

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 07:12:51 PM »
Don’t know if he SUP’s, but Bob Holland at more than 80 years old still riding boards under 7 feet!
It's all relative.

srowndedbyh2o

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 07:21:07 PM »
And let’s not forget Woody Brown, surfing into his 80’s (90's?), and Dorian Paskowitz surfing into his 90’s.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:23:43 PM by srowndedbyh2o »
It's all relative.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 07:22:57 PM »
Don’t know if he SUP’s, but Bob Holland at more than 80 years old still riding boards under 7 feet!

And this guy is buff.  My new role model right there. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »
Good for you Pono!! Keep going. And you're right, Kanaha is just plain fun. I hear it's been epic over there. Just got off the phone with an old friend of mine who lives on Maui named Jeff Lackey. He is 66 and is a ripping surfer both short board and longboard. He surfs Hookipa often and comes out to Utah and skis Snowbird for a month in the spring. A true inspiration. And always in shape. I would love to see him get into standup but I don't think it will ever happen.

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 11:15:59 PM »
My friend Bob and I took Woody Brown out on what turned out  to be his last surf session,it was at Launiupoko,he was 90!
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

supthecreek

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 03:42:40 AM »
pmd.... that is very cool. You are a very fortunate man to know Woody Brown... very special person....and a big part of surf lore.

There's a great documentary out there called "Surfing for Life".... made by some council on aging about the benefits of surfing well into old age. The Woody Brown segment is priceless.

The Salt Fly

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • North 2 Board Sports
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 06:45:56 AM »
Old man Tugboat, he's 89 and rips

T-Boy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 04:53:34 PM »
I'll be 67 in Feb. and looking foreword to the next swell, trying to keep my friends in their mid 40's stoked so they don't turn into "used to's".
Angulo 14x28 carbon custom
JL 8-11 Striker
Hobie 8-11 CM Torque
L-41 8-0x30.5 ST

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 08:21:28 PM »

Wait a minute!  No way the guy in this pic is 89!  50 maybe, not 89. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 08:29:43 PM »

Pretty young looking 89 ... but then I don't look like I'm 50, except after a long session of surfing or SUS' ing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal