Author Topic: Newbie's perceptions on going from a 10'6 barge down to a 8'10 AllWave in surf.  (Read 4463 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I took the AllWave out in the surf for the first time today and noticed a number of interesting things that happen when you are a beginner who goes from a 10'6 beginner board to an 8'10 Allwave.  

6AM, 46 degree air temp, 57 degree water.  O'Neil Psychofreak wetsuit, hood, booties. (I got too warm) It was high almost tide, so I had the joy (cough) of dealing with backwash off the beach.  Waves were coming from the shore as well as from the ocean, so although it was calm, the ocean was pitching from a few directions at once.  This made balance interesting.  I know all this is probably a revelation to no one but me, but here is what I noticed:

1. A lighter, shorter board reacts more violently to an uneven ocean surface.  I fell over a couple of times until I got the hang of that.
2. The AllWave offers less side-to-side stability than the barge.  I fell over a couple other times until I got the hang of that.
3. Slightly bent knees and a paddle in the water is more important to staying upright on a smaller board.
Cool Stuff:
4. The AllWave paddles almost as fast as the 2 ft longer barge.  I think it accelerates much faster.
5. This one surprised me: I think the AllWave catches waves MORE easily than the bigger board.  I had no trouble catching and riding the mushy, knee-high waves.  
6. The AllWave feels very comfortable on a wave and turns easily when you have a foot on the tail.  
7. The AllWave weighs less than half of the barge; so much easier to carry back to the Jeep.

Conclusion: I love this board.  Thanks Carl for selling it to me.  Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and encouraged me to go all the way down to 8'10.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:45:53 PM by WaterOnTheBrain »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Mike

You can further improve the overall performance by (probably) shortening your paddle 3 or 4"
This will further quicken up your AW rides

Glad you are enjoying your new AW

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks Jim.  Is there any rule-of-thumb for determining the proper paddle length? 

I will probably be in the market for a carbon paddle of some sort in the next couple of months.  You will be the first person I contact. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
JimK hooked me up with a tremendous Kialoa GL Hulu SL that I had them cut to 2" over the top of my head. Big difference! Rock on on the allwave!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
JimK hooked me up with a tremendous Kialoa GL Hulu SL that I had them cut to 2" over the top of my head. Big difference! Rock on on the allwave!

Thanks!  2" over the top of your head.  Is that a standard thing for surf?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Personal choice influenced by length of board, surface area of paddle blade, water conditions, and paddling style. Old conventional wisdom was 6" over the top of your head. I don't know anyone who sup surfs at that length. JimK is at the middle of his forehead, Mark (Kialoa rep) right at the top of his head. Borrow paddles and see what works for you! I know that my 9' Lopez and my 10'6" Hobie need different lengths. You want to see the blade all the way in the water! Path is never straight, the fun is in the experimenting..Look at new posts on blade size and racing.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:12:00 PM by cbigsup »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Good to know.  I have a decent quality fiberglass adjustable paddle, so I am going to start experimenting.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:24:36 PM by WaterOnTheBrain »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Shortened my adjustable paddle from 7" taller than me down to 1" taller than me and you're right Jim.  The shorter paddle works better on a SUS board.  Had a great surf session on it today in Newport, caught lots of waves and felt in better balance standing on my AW. 

I know adjustable paddles are not the coolest thing to be seen with, but it is sure handy for figuring out optimal paddle length.  When I get it perfectly dialed in, I'll get a one-piece carbon paddle.  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 03:34:38 PM by WaterOnTheBrain »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I know adjustable paddles are not the coolest thing to be seen with, but it is sure handy for figuring out optimal paddle length.  When I get it perfectly dialed in, I'll get a one-piece carbon paddle.  

It's way cooler to have the right sized adjustable paddle than a too long fixed length one.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

It's way cooler to have the right sized adjustable paddle than a too long fixed length one.

Good point!
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supthecreek

Allwave magic happens again!

That's why I have always been such a big fan of the Alwaves.. they are really a great board if you want stability and performance. Smaller guys who regularly ride short, narrow boards can't see what all the fuss is about.... but for those of us who need it... it's the best in the business.

WoTB.... take it on a nice long paddle... flat or ocean. My 8'10 is my flat-water board. (see my "snow" post today) Paddling for hours on it, will really improve your stroke. It will paddle straight indefinitely on 1 side, IF you use a good stroke. It's great training.

It is really important to hear the experience of a SUP newbie... it brings up points that a lot of people come to the Zone learn about. Kudo's for your great post!

Sounds like you are doing great... keep us up on your progress.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks so much for the kind words supthecreek!  I see your point.  I was surprised by exactly what you say, the AW 8"10 does move across the water much more efficiently than I expected.  Not a race board, but still paddles well.  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:09:23 PM by WaterOnTheBrain »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal