Author Topic: Hey Maui, looks like your wind came back!  (Read 3474 times)

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
Hey Maui, looks like your wind came back!
« on: December 10, 2013, 03:25:39 PM »
 Just doing one of my daily perusals of many beach cams over there, and it looks like the doldrums seem to be gone (at least for now). Good wind on the Southside, and many happy windsurfers and kitboarders zipping back and forth at Kanaha!
 Very glad to see this, as there hasn't been many (any?) D-W videos and tales of "fun in the Sun" for way too long. Hope Pono, Headmount, Cove, and everyone else is out with the wind at your back right now!
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Maui, looks like your wind came back!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 06:57:50 PM »
You're right, we had a pretty rocking southside run today. Maliko is heating up too, but it was marginal wind and sketchy groundswell, so we did SS.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 11:10:54 PM »
 Hi Bill,
 glad to hear you did get out today! May the Trade winds stay for a while, it's been way too flat over there (here too). Have fun and think of me  ;).
Thanks, Pete.
Pete.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 11:39:43 PM »
Hi Bill,
 glad to hear you did get out today! May the Trade winds stay for a while, it's been way too flat over there (here too). Have fun and think of me  ;).
Thanks, Pete.

When are you coming back?  It must be getting cold there by now

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 12:38:11 AM »
That is dedication Rainwaves, or as a former resident of the PNW, I might even call it desperate motivation to buy a ticket! ;)

We had great conditions today on the south side, but it also showed how fickle it could be. After coming up quickly, just before noon, it held steady for a good hour or so. Then, as HM and I were waiting for PB to materialize from the far side of the island, the wind nearly died completely. PB arrived, and said "don't worry, it'll be back." Literally, within a few minutes of him saying that, the wind came back with a vengeance, perfect direction almost straight out of the north, and plenty of horse power.

When we hit the water, it was on almost instantly. Within a few hundred yards of the start, you could get glides. And it stayed good all the way to the end. HM had a school of baitfish make whitewater, crossing right in front of him. I saw baitfish cross my nose as well. With all the big fish with sharp teeth stuff lately, it wasn't a day you wanted to hang out and take a swim. I had to untangle my leash three times (got a new one this evening) as it was stretched out and kept getting caught by the water and tangling. The first time, I started to untangle it from in the water but quickly decided, bad idea. I ended up laying down on the board facing the tail and untangling. Other than that, I think we all had an amazingly good run. Only one more day of trade winds forecast, then it's back to doldrums. Hope tomorrow is as fun as today though! 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 08:05:10 PM »
Our first Maliko run in we can't remember how long.  Damn good conditions for december but there was  surf... about like the day you went with us Rainwaves.  Maliko felt so different after yesterday's southside run.  More wild and powerful.  Cove and I slipped across kite beach on smaller waves.  When I checked our six the outside was closing out.   

Legs felt pretty whooped after we were done.  Looks like we're back to the SUS program this weekend.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 08:15:34 AM »
Yup, once again Maliko demonstrated that doing southsides runs and Viento runs doesn't really prepare you for a humping Maliko.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 02:09:20 PM »
Yup, once again Maliko demonstrated that doing southsides runs and Viento runs doesn't really prepare you for a humping Maliko.

So true. It's a beast.

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »

When are you coming back?  It must be getting cold there by now

I've been looking forward to coming over at Spring break again (last two weeks in March), but it's looking like that isn't going to happen, and just the other day, the wife cancelled the condo reservations that we've had for a year now.  :( :( :(
 So, who knows when I'll get back there. Maybe I'll just go "middle-age-crazy" and try to fly over for the Naish Maliko race in May, or June, (or whenever it is) :D.

It was cold and freezing all of last week, but had some days with no wind, and got out for a paddle on Saturday afternoon, just before it clouded up and got dark. Kind of cool to come back in with slush and ice on the board! Never even got my feet wet, so it wasn't bad.
 Wore my 2/3mm short-sleeve wetsuit with a hoody on top to keep my arms warm, and it worked great (because I didn't go for a swim). I hate to wear my neoprene dive gloves, as they are too thick for a good feel) but always take them along in case I get wet. But, bare hands get a bit cold when it's 37 deg or less (mainly my thumbs, which stick out and don't move much). This time I wore a pair of those thin Nitrile coated work gloves, and they were awesome! Great grip, thin enough to get a good feel on my KeNalu, and kept the fingers warm. A few times a puff of wind came up briefly, and reminded me what wind chill is all about  :).

It's back to 42 degrees and rain right now. Haven't been on a D-W rund since mid November. Kind of in a holding pattern like you guys!
Pete.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal