Poll

Are Starboard SUP losing their way with the new designs?

Yes, they've lost it!
9 (20.9%)
No,
11 (25.6%)
Maybe?
7 (16.3%)
Yes, but one design is good!
2 (4.7%)
No, all the designs are awesome!
14 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Starboard Losing Their Way In 2014  (Read 25824 times)

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard Losing Their Way In 2014
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 01:20:20 AM »
Really?

SB makes about 900 models for 2014 , if one doesn't work for you, why don't you patronize one of the other 5,000 sup manufacturers.

WOW,   A lot of "whinning" !

treat with an apparent kindness which betrays a feeling of superiority.

"‘She's a good-hearted girl,’ he said in a patronizing voice"

synonyms: treat condescendingly, treat with condescension, condescend to, look down on, talk down to, put down, humiliate, treat like a child, treat as inferior, treat with disdain, treat scornfully/contemptuously, be snobbish to, look down one's nose at More

If your trolling for comments, please use the correct word  ;D
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 01:22:54 AM »
This has been (is being) a good topic.  It's good to question what a company is doing.  Itt's nott whinning att all. That's  better for a company than people just silently going elsewhere while the company figures it out.  The company can decide whether it agrees or not, or whether it wants to revise its lineup but at least it knows (if it pays attention to what people are pointing out).  

Thanks Mike!  :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2013, 01:27:40 AM »
The discussion is great, every manufacturer should be challenged and critically assessed by the market and this is what great forums like this allow us to do, but criticising a new range because it doesn't fit your idea of how and what boards should be, wow, why don't you try some of the new product then come back with a real basis for discussion

Hydrodynamics is my job!

I don't need to try, I can tell just by looking...

To be honest, my OP isn't really concerned with the surf designs! Good surfing is not really about the board.. A talented wave rider can ride anything with style and grace!

Most average surfers I know, are always looking at there board for excuses...

SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2013, 03:07:08 AM »
Call me crazy but I don't think of strapping on a weekends worth of camping gear when I think SUP...sounds like you want what amounts to an expidition kayak in a SUP...if "Hydrodynamics" is your Job (with all due respect that could encompass everything from a plumber to a naval architect/engineer) you should have no problem designing something to tailor fit your expectations...to slam SB for not making such a nitch board seems more like a need to vent on your part than a shortcoming on theirs.

If your quiver list at the bottom of your post is all inclusive you may not be the best person to make blanket statements about the attributes of SUP surf design.

supthecreek

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2013, 03:12:39 AM »
"To be honest, my OP isn't really concerned with the surf designs!"

SUP, as we know it, began ONLY as a "surf" specific sport. The fact that boards we big and easy to paddle, caused it to morph into the many incarnations we enjoy today.

Were it not for the "Surf designs".... there would be no tour, race, DW, inflatable or cruiser designs at all.... so I think you can hardly discount "surf designs" from a discussion of a SUP company's worth.

My first reaction to the poll was "Gee, their new surf SUPs are looking pretty sweet"
And while I agree, that a good surfer can make any board look good... in SUS, I believe that board design is VERY important to good surfing.... SUS designs are dialing in and really opening the door to higher performance. Starboard is helping to push that envelope.

Maybe a more appropriate question would have been directed at a specific aspect of the sport. It is natural that companies would be stronger in different segments of a sport with so much variety.

I am grateful to all SUP companies for the products they develop... I just stand back and pick the latest and greatest that meet MY specific needs.

UK... you have spawned a lively discussion... and that is always good. :D

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 03:40:08 AM »
Yeah man!

Most of my threads just fade away into nothing... ::) :)

From a historical point of view, I would say that folk were Stand Up Paddling in canoes, maybe, thousands of years before they ever stoop up and  paddled large 'longboards'....

My background is in paddling mostly, from the age of ten years old, I am now 40..

I started 'surfing' originally in a 'Goatboat' and then started longboarding about 8 years after that. I don't really mind what I surf, as long as it has the volume to float me whilst im paddling. Once its on the plane, to me, a 'drawn in tail' is irrelevant..

I wasn't discounting surf designs really.. Its just that I don't feel, that a new board, for eg, the 2012 Widepoint compared to the 2011 Widepoint.. Just having a few different lines doesn't make it a different board.. ?

SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 03:47:53 AM »
Call me crazy but I don't think of strapping on a weekends worth of camping gear when I think SUP...sounds like you want what amounts to an expidition kayak in a SUP...if "Hydrodynamics" is your Job (with all due respect that could encompass everything from a plumber to a naval architect/engineer) you should have no problem designing something to tailor fit your expectations...to slam SB for not making such a nitch board seems more like a need to vent on your part than a shortcoming on theirs.

If your quiver list at the bottom of your post is all inclusive you may not be the best person to make blanket statements about the attributes of SUP surf design.

Yes - you're right.. I do want what amounts to an expo paddlecraft in a SUP.

Yes - I do have the knowledge to come up with my own design, bu I do not have the funds, time or place/workshop..

I have offered to help some companies with design but it gets nowhere.. I sometimes think its because I do not fit the 'stereotype' of blonde bleached hair and six pack :D

Youre right, hydrodynamics is a broad term...

I have been in the past, a, windsurf instructor, sailing instructor, kayak instructor, canoe instructor, surf instructor, RYA Powerboat instructor and I now do swim stroke analysis and development for iron man and tri, in my own 'tank', plumbed in by myself..... ::) ;D

SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

supthecreek

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 04:36:25 AM »
Widepoints are just a staple, an update on a proven winner....

The new carbon pros are where the action is.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 04:58:33 AM »
Talk about a great discussion. The incredible variety of SUPs now available is absolutely amazing - from tiny sub 100 liter boards to giant 18 race boards. I don't
think any company can cover the entire spectrum of possibilities. Naish tries as does Starboard. I'm sure their production decisions are based on marketing input which may be driven by perceived opportunity or created demand through promoting the next big thing that we all must have. I suspect that there are small boutique manufacturers who will make exactly what you require. Whether or not there is a big demand for expedition ocean going craft suitable  for your conditions is an interesting question. And how many skinny kids will buy expensive chips? They are probably still proning. Gotta have cash to pay for expensive SUPs! We are so lucky to have the incredible variety available to us today! Good luck in finding what you need!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:08:01 AM by cbigsup »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 05:14:38 AM »
UKRiverSurfers, I think you need to send a pm to supuk.  He can't be too far away in little old UK

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 06:25:52 AM »
If someone can afford a new high end carbon production board from SB, Nash or any other large builder, they can certainly afford the materials to build one...in fact if you discount the labor involved you can build a 100% carbon laminate board for the cost of a low end construction, at the very least their mid tier construction from the big names...

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 06:27:23 AM »
UkRiverSurfers,
I think Starboard probably has the perfect board that suits what you're looking for, maybe you just missed it. Have a look in the 16 footer in their Astro line. I've tried it and it is insane...

http://star-board-sup.com/2014/products/boards/astro--16-0-x32-tandem

Here goes the video clip from Bart's expedition. I think he was using the board I just mentioned.

Johnny
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:30:50 AM by JohnnyMaya »

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2013, 06:28:58 AM »
I really love the Point 14'8 but hard to find...

I'll be back, just got a 2;30 swim lesson starting :)

Back from my 2;30 :)

Yeah - that 16 footer does look like it may do the job.. Just wonder how it would deal with proper chop..

Maybe I should try one out.

The iSUPs just don't appear to have the shallow arch bottom shape, though..

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:05:23 AM by UKRiverSurfers »
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2013, 07:22:54 AM »
If someone can afford a new high end carbon production board from SB, Nash or any other large builder, they can certainly afford the materials to build one...in fact if you discount the labor involved you can build a 100% carbon laminate board for the cost of a low end construction, at the very least their mid tier construction from the big names...

OK - hands up!

I did buy a brand new Allstar Carbon at the beginning of the year!

It is a lot slower than the board it replaced, the Coastrunner..

My CR was stolen so I got the Allstar as a replacement but soon found a second hand CR and now regret buying the Allstar, which isn't a patch on the CR.

It was this that first planted the seed of doubt in my mind as to SB's R&D.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2013, 07:41:29 AM »
Jonathan,

SB sucks.

I can't take my SB touring model out in more than one foot of chop and I wouldn't dare take it out to 'sea' either. Fair weather paddling for me in glassy conditions only.  ;D

Too true!

A touring model should be able to handle almost anything?

I can tell just by looking at a pic that the 'touring' design is only good fro sheltered waters.

"I can tell" you have never paddled the 12'6" touring model and are seriously reaching with some of your statements.

I have paddled the Touring model for several hours at a time in chop and swell that was a hell of a lot more than "one foot" high. Far from Sheltered waters too. Give me a break. It's a pretty versatile rig for all conditions. I owned the original SB Race and have checked out the Coast Runner and while the touring isn't quite as good in rough open waters, it can handle open water conditions just fine, and does fairly well up wind, and picks up the runners in DW conditions. It handles side chop pretty well too.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:53:01 AM by robon »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard