Poll

Are Starboard SUP losing their way with the new designs?

Yes, they've lost it!
9 (20.9%)
No,
11 (25.6%)
Maybe?
7 (16.3%)
Yes, but one design is good!
2 (4.7%)
No, all the designs are awesome!
14 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Starboard Losing Their Way In 2014  (Read 25757 times)

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Starboard Losing Their Way In 2014
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:12:17 AM »
Hi all

Just got my 2014 Starboard Catalogue through the letterbox....

The new 'stretched K15' 17'6 Sprint looks pretty amazing, all be it very specialized...

Other than that, it seems to me as if they are just poking in the dark with the other new designs!

Nothing at all that is suitable for serious ocean expeditions and nothing that is really suited to white water.

The so called touring designs may be ok in flat water but I could imagine getting stranded on a Scottish island for days on end if the sea throws up anything more than a 1 foot chop.

The new racing designs, which could possibly handle a 'sea' havn't  got any fixing points or places suitable for stashing a few days worth of kit...

I'm just glad I still have my Coastrunner for such trips..

There is a pic on the front cover of a chap paddling in the wilderness with gear and compass onboard but, I bet he has got safety cover with him...

I still say that I myself could come up with a much better design!

I think they need to get some designers with a time served paddling background onboard!

SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard Losing Their Way In 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »
Just to add, I cant believe they have ditched the k15 with nothing to take its place!!
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 11:54:32 AM »
I have had my 12'6" starboard touring in waist high swells (upwind, downwind, crosschop) during extended touring sessions and it does alright. The conditions get nasty in a hurry on the mountain lakes in my parts, and I'm finding the touring model to be well equipped in handling trying conditions.  The rails are rounded and it handles cross chop pretty well. In DW conditions I find the nose likes to go under, but it comes back up quickly and the board doesn't get too squirrelly. Not great, but certainly not bad in DW conditions. The 14' touring model is a pin tail and I have no interest in it for that reason, but the 12'6" has a squared off tail. I would like a bit more volume overall, but I would recommend the 12'6" to anyone in the 200 pound range and under looking for a versatile touring sup.

I personally think Starboard missed the mark when they discontinued the 12'6 Race series and the Coast runner, as those were very popular boards that excelled in open water conditions. I had the Race which is almost identical to the Coast runner in design, and it was a super fun board and excellent for touring in all conditions. Starboard would have been better served to slightly tweek those designs rather than discontinue them completely. I'm still really baffled by that decision.

I think the All star could be a good touring board with the addition of some tie downs. Lots of room in the back for a larger bag, and a smaller bag up front. If I was to get a new SB, this would probably be it. Lots of volume for the 14 x 28, but I'm not sure about the volume distribution without trying it first. Could be great with a load of gear on, or it could be really bad. Looking forward to some reviews.

I wouldn't say Starboard has lost their way, but I don't really agree with the direction they have gone in some areas either.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:24:23 PM by robon »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:06:52 PM »
What I don't like is that they simply refuse to make a casual downwind board. All their ocean boards are designed to go straight and win races. To me that just takes the fun out of it.

I do like the surf specific shapes though. Lots of choices and super light.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:41:47 PM »
Every company has a niche and a segment they don't compete so well in.  Starboard is no exception.  They've added some interesting shapes and purpose-specific sups to their line up, but they don't do everything.  They don't really have a Simmons shape, they don't have a down wind specific model, and their hybrid is not anywhere close to something like a Diablo sup-kayak hybrid.  However it does appear that they have more models doing more things than nearly everyone else.

I don't want them to do everything, but what they do doesn't affect me in the slightist, nor do I feel it's my place to tell a company what models they should introduce. I'm sure they have somebody on their rather large staff that says "we need an X for next year" and off they go to make it.  Based on what I see, they're doing a pretty good job of listening to their customer base.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 12:50:18 PM »
IMO.. It's the best range ever from Starboard.

DJ

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 01:57:09 PM »
IMO.. It's the best range ever from Starboard.

DJ

Hey DJ,

Have you had a go on the All-Star yet? I'm kinda looking into the All-Star, Glide, and the NSP/DC for open water-do it all boards. I've been following the updates on the Glides and they look great, as well as the NSP/DC open water model, but haven't heard much on the new version of the All-Star.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 04:48:55 PM »
I think it's a pretty stellar line-up.  A little confusing from a dealer perspective, with so many boards & constructions to choose from (not to mention multiple widths!).  But that's always been the case with SB. 

The new 12'2 FreeRide looks like a cool new design IMO.  Also the Starshot construction at $1299 most models is a great price point offering - much nicer look than the old AST Whites, which didn't even come with deckpads. 

Pricing goes up substantially for AST Blue, Wood & Carbons however.  Only time will tell how that goes...
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

adamrod

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »
They've taken a ton of volume out of most of their surf shapes. Big improvement if you ask me, curious when the rest of the brands are going to catch up with that trend.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 06:33:47 PM »
Just to add, I cant believe they have ditched the k15 with nothing to take its place!!

That must have been a late decision because I have a catalogue with the 2014 K15 listed, yet it is not on the new website. I assume the K15, being a 5 year old design, has been discontinued due to lack of orders and low volume sales recently.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 07:17:06 PM »
Lost their way as a windsurfing company?? 
OR 
Lost their way as a surf company??
OR
Lost their way as an expedition paddling company??

To be fair, Ive never seen them as the latter.  Whatever they are, they only survive if they adapt to the market...
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Starboard Losing Their Way In 2014
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 12:54:05 AM »
My gripe about SB is the 7'4"x25.5" Pro model. I aspire to surf like Sean Poynter, but am about +25lbs too heavy for that board. It's 79L.

The smaller boards are definitely aimed at smaller people. Sup-surfing is such a small segment of the the industry.  Then to make a board that is for only a handful of people with the talent to ride it...oh, and price the carbon model at $2,899, how many do they plan on selling?

I love the shape and durability, but if it were just a few more liters of volume, it would be available to a wider group of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:56:37 AM by Cardiff Sweeper »

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 01:52:07 AM »
Thanks for the comments folks....

From my pov, their boards are designed for fair weather paddling in warm countries.

With the biggest range on offer I would expect a broader mix of designs.

Cutting volume from boards is surely a step backwards, in a sort of 'shortboard mentality'.... Smaller must be better, right?.......wrong!

Its as if they are selling prototypes and testing them on customers.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:53:39 AM by UKRiverSurfers »
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 02:59:13 AM »
UK, I might add that most boards are also designed for forgiving environments, without the rocks and snags you find on rivers.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 05:03:59 AM »
Yes - good point.

River paddling and surfing is just one part of my paddling.

My main concern is the lack of board that is capable of proper exploration on multi day sea trips.

More and more folk are heading off into the sunset with all they need strapped to the board for wilderness trips.

On such a trip, in the past I have encountered such a range of conditions.  I just don't think the current offerings are good for that.

I do really like the look of the 17'6 though, although I cant imagine one will ever make its way to the UK.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'