Author Topic: twin-fins-or-more-on-a-race-board/so it begins  (Read 139409 times)

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: twin-fins-or-more-on-a-race-board/so it begins
« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2014, 11:26:35 AM »
Got close to a jetty and the waves were hitting back and forth (do not know how to explain that).
Henrik F

I think you might have been experiencing wave reflection.  Waves loose surprisingly little energy bouncing off hard objects like jetty's and bulkheads.

Thanks Bean! That's the thing I meant.

Henrik F
crosswater.se

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »
Larry, in a sentence, what's the performance difference between the Twin set up versus Twin + little gladiator?
Taller than most, shorter than others.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2014, 06:26:36 PM »
Larry, in a sentence, what's the performance difference between the Twin set up versus Twin + little gladiator?

Sup Giant, Pic number 1 shows a Hovie with Probox Twins and Ventral. The Twins give lateral stability with Ventral aidding in Projection and tracking.

Pic number 2 shows a board with all 3 fins at the rear the same outline with small ventral, this is a flat water setup for stability with Probox Twins with straighter outline for fast release and the center fin increases the projection by eliminating tail drift without over sizing Twins balancing out the tail volume in this board.

Pic number 3 shows the same Probox Twins for fast release but added a 5" gladiator Kick fin to control drift when a wave wake hits you the aid of the twisting in the foil of the kick has hold and flexes to the feel size of pic 2 (Flat water set up)

Pic number 4 shows a board with more tail volume that changing to Probox Elliptical Twins helps in lateral stability with a larger 6.5" Gladiator kick fin for better hold and projection in balancing out the fin set up to board volume along to mother nature's conditions of strong winds and chop.

Sorry needed a few more sentences to give you a break down my friend. Mahalo, Larry

Appreciate it Larry.

I've never seen Dave use the ventral, but I've only paddled w him off Baby Beach and beyond.

Starting to wrap my brain around this a bit.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2014, 09:30:43 PM »
This is my Ron House 12'6x30" Coastal Cruiser, that Larry outfitted with this fin setup.
I wanted this board to track and glide with stability in the ocean (like one of my race boards), yet be surfable when I reach the distant reefs (like my surfboards). Larry nailed it! 
I paddle out past the point seen in the picture (2-4 miles), surf the uncrowded reefs, where this fin set up keeps me locked into the wave face (no sliding out), yet is maneuverable.  Added bonus is low profile, so snagging kelp (heavy in this area) is of no concern, and gliding over reefs at low tide (inches of water) is never a jarring experience.

Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2015, 10:43:11 AM »
Here is an update on the twin fin from Infinity

http://vimeo.com/119398298?from=outro-local

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2015, 11:04:47 AM »
I was skeptical of twins (or triple) on race boards but I've paddled a few boards that had them and it really makes a difference. I've also spent some time trying to draft a board that had triples and it was really hard to stay in the wake.

I paddled Dave's board this morning, the same one in that video, and it's incredibly stable for 12'6 x 24.5 and it's so smooth. We were doing some interval sprints with beach starts and Dave was absolutely flying off the starts before he even took his first stroke. My GPS topped out at 8.5mph on one of the starts so I can only think that he was close to 9. Is it the fin setup? Could be. It could also be that he's an incredibly fast paddler. I think a lot of people think of him only as an incredible surfer but he is incredibly fast on a race board.

I have a Blackfish on order with that same fin setup, wider tail and half inch wider overall. I figure it's just like golf... I can buy new clubs and stripe a 320yd drive and proceed to shoot a 65, thanks to the new sticks. Right?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2015, 11:14:31 AM »
got to admit im tempted to give it a go being that my next board is going to be 21.5" wide. What toe angle are peope using trying?

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2015, 11:21:44 AM »
I don't know what angles Dave is using.  The Infinity guys that I've been paddling with have been running triples more than twins. I think Dave was using the Gladiator Pro as the center fin today.  I have the Gladiator Pro on my board (single fin) and I get pushed around quite a bit by wakes and currents. I really believe this is one of those things that you just have to try it for yourself to believe it but I'm sure it's not for everyone. I also don't know how much the Blackfish shape lends to the stability. I'm 185lbs and I jumped on his board and had no stability issues. I was able to sprint, do pivot turns, etc. and never got the jimmy-leg wobbles.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2015, 11:50:03 AM »
cheers only one way to find out, i looked back and the old posts were saying 1/8 so maybe try that. I may have to make some fins up myself to start with as it gets pricey importing stuff but will make a interesting test

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2015, 11:54:24 AM »
If you contact LA, he will generally give you some specific feedback for your particular board.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2015, 12:12:12 PM »
cheers may do that

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2016, 02:30:36 PM »
Has the multi-fin concept found increased traction? Any new revelations for 2016? Changes in Layout? Foil? Fin outline? Area? Or have these things stabilized? Larry...any photos of your latest and greatest multi-fins?

In the Infinity video and other places I have heard the total area of all three fins equal one single fin... Is this literally true...do three of these fins only amount to 38-40 sq inches? Appears to be more....

Larry your layout showed the toeing at 1/8" over 10"....the infinity video posted here looks like considerably more. It that just a optical illusion from lens perspective distortion or they going for more?
Also interested to know if you found the multi-fin set up results in more tail lift.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2016, 05:43:36 AM »
Has the multi-fin concept found increased traction?

if a mainstream brand like infinity has gone to production boards with the concept, it's safe to say it found increased traction IMO
Below are some pics of this setup on a new SIC FX.

I've been playing around with few fin setups (different from the pics) and it substantially improved tracking and stability
over the stock SIC 8.3 fin, even with just the 2 4x11 inch twin fins. What also made a world of difference to me was the fact that
it's now possible for me to launch the board on low tide due-to the reduced fin height.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: March 13, 2016, 09:59:25 AM »
I am having my 14x25 Eradicator modified for twin fins as we speak so hopefully in a few weeks I will be able to tell.

Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2016, 10:06:04 AM »
Has the multi-fin concept found increased traction?

if a mainstream brand like infinity has gone to production boards with the concept, it's safe to say it found increased traction IMO
Below are some pics of this setup on a new SIC FX.

I've been playing around with few fin setups (different from the pics) and it substantially improved tracking and stability
over the stock SIC 8.3 fin, even with just the 2 4x11 inch twin fins. What also made a world of difference to me was the fact that
it's now possible for me to launch the board on low tide due-to the reduced fin height.

Hello!
I saw in the pics that you have a red and a blue insert at the same time. What is the purpose of different cants? 0° and 4° (I think). DOes that actually work? I have 0° on both sides and it works great because the tailpart is flat. Just wondering....
Henrik F
crosswater.se

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal