Author Topic: Caught inside, Hawaiian, and living to tell  (Read 24452 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Caught inside, Hawaiian, and living to tell
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »
I ordered an O'Neill Gooru. Doesn't even need to be more than DOH, the outer reef stuff feels an order of magnitude nastier than Kanaha for the same size. I thought I was going to get ripped in half the other night at Outer Tavares -- CS, that's basically the same place we surfed the evening we went out of the reef slit at Kuau. When the waves get much above 15 feet there, they really do a number on you. Pitching out and thumping instead of crumbling like they do at Kanaha. I got sucked over the falls and dragged across the reef. Wasn't fun.

Hey bro what's the chance you may drag me to the outer reefs in a few weeks....I'm game but I may want to get a vest. I have the added concern in the big stuff of my crappy lung capacity.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2014, 10:52:24 PM »
Whine, whine. If bro gets any more nervous he may chain himself to a chair at the airport. Would I put you in danger? Oh, wait. I kind of did that for a lot of years. But don't worry, I'm much kinder and gentler now. Just ask Covesurfer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2014, 12:19:23 AM »
Chances are, you'll survive. It is best to always bring your A game. As far as we know, no one has been lost or has been confirmed dead after going with Bill.   

So far. ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »
No other person on the planet has put me in danger as many times as Bill. Started when he decided to teach me to swim at 4 years old or so by tossing me into 5' of water. I'd probably be dead if he had been around more when I was in my teens.

Bill's idea of teaching his kids to skateboard, stick em on a board and push them down a steep hill....sans pads.

I know all too well my limits will likely be tested. I'm all for giving it a go...in fact I'll be disappointed if we don't. But with you talking vests I'm thinking I'd be silly not to. You're in better shape than me despite geezerdom. I've never come out there without leaving a bit sore, bruised, and left some blood and skin behind....just trying to avoid the body bags...and just think how pissed Sue would be..... ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:42:30 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2014, 10:16:51 PM »
remember that line in Butch Cassidy, "Hell the fall alone will kill ya."

No worries, Stoney.  Nothing ever happens with us.  These guys just make up stories.

supthecreek

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2014, 05:45:24 AM »
I sense an "epic movie" opportunity... adventure, conspiracy and a challenge thrown down.... a sense of hesitation and yet resolute determination .... the scene is set, in a tropical paradise, for the ultimate test of sibling rivalry....out numbered, "Axeman, the younger" sets out to meet, on his tormentor's home turf.... for the final showdown... dun dun dunnnnn!

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2014, 05:49:21 AM »
Would I put you in danger? Oh, wait. I kind of did that for a lot of years. But don't worry, I'm much kinder and gentler now. Just ask Covesurfer.

No other person on the planet has put me in danger as many times as Bill. Started when he decided to teach me to swim at 4 years old or so by tossing me into 5' of water. I'd probably be dead if he had been around more when I was in my teens.

No worries, Stoney.  Nothing ever happens with us.  These guys just make up stories.

Chances are, you'll survive. It is best to always bring your A game.

I sense an "epic movie" opportunity...
Some parallel lines. River for waves, snakes for sharks, Mr. Stoney instead of Mr. Bill, and heck, a tube for a vest........and you're set. Always good intentions.  

Mr Bill's River Tubing Adventure.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:57:10 AM by lucabrasi »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2014, 10:46:57 AM »
The director of Mr. Bill's (Mr. Stoneaxe's or Mr. Covesurfer's or insert name here) adventure would be Mr. Pono (or, even Mr. HM). I've felt like Mr. Bill in that inner tube on a number of our adventures.

"We'll just come across the reef down there, no big deal" "I don't think it's that off-shore that you can't take a nice outside line where the swell is really good", "just watch out for the old WWII tank traps when you get near the beach, those could put a hole in your board", and my personal favorite, "sure, the swells LOOK huge, but they won't hurt you, they just roll under you".

Dueling uke's instead of banjos.

All set? Have fun! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:54:04 AM by covesurfer »

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2014, 12:48:56 AM »

For one, I found that a hand on the stomp pad and pushing down as the wave hit kept the board within a foot or two of me even with a 10 foot wave breaking on me. 3-4 foot whitewater was manageable as well with this method.
 ;)

Surfcowboy - have I got this right....you are simply in the water and with one hand pushing the board's nose up via the stomp pad and that gets you through those big walls?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal