Author Topic: Leaving Monday for Maui for 3 weeks  (Read 8052 times)

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Leaving Monday for Maui for 3 weeks
« on: November 26, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »
Alright Bill B. and PonoBill, and all you other Maui homegrown, I am flying in on Monday and it looks like the wind is cranking right now.  Saw lots of kiters and sailboards at Kanaha and looked like a nice swell too.  Who went out for a Maliko run and how was it?
Working my butt off this week to get everything done, and of course I just can't stay away from peeking at the cams.
I am bringing both my stand up surfboard and my prone shortboard. I am bringing the shortboard cause I want to hit Honolua on a good day. (Just one wave is all I want)  I will rent a downwind board on the days it goes. Tried to get the F16 shipped over, but it just doesn't pencil out. They want real money to ship a big board over.
I know you guys had a nice stretch of SUSurfing for awhile.  How has it been recently?
Can't wait and looking forward to hooking up with some zoners and maybe SUSing some new spots.

8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leaving Monday for Maui for 3 weeks
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 11:55:38 PM »
Bring some wind and waves and it will be fine. We haven't had much of either lately.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:42:47 PM »
We should be getting some serious surf Saturday. Probably your best chance at getting one at the bay, but Monday it should be way down. Still fun for sure at the right spots. Check www.omaui.com for a pretty reliable local forecast.

Wind.....like Pono said...has not been much. I am sure you'd have fun going, but we're all spoiled!

Have fun, and enjoy Maui!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:49:45 PM by Southbay »

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »
Can't speak to conditions on Maui (wish I could) but here is some advise

1) Don't go to Honolua without an invite/or local support. Not to crazy about Haole tourist at that spot
2) Keep your feet (and the rest of you) on the board DWing sad story for a kayak fisherman

Lastly be respectful to everyone and i'm sure you'll HAVE FUN

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 04:07:23 PM »
Can't speak to conditions on Maui (wish I could) but here is some advise

1) Don't go to Honolua without an invite/or local support. Not to crazy about Haole tourist at that spot
2) Keep your feet (and the rest of you) on the board DWing sad story for a kayak fisherman

Lastly be respectful to everyone and i'm sure you'll HAVE FUN

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Sounds like serious advice and probably correct about the Bay unless you can charge.  But as far as DW runs, PBill falls in on southside (where the fatalities have occurred)  and starts having a conversation before he even gets back on his board.  Totally relaxed and that's probably why they don't bug him.  Besides, an animal can probably tell when something is going to taste super bad and if you ever caught a whiff of one of his slippers you'd know what I mean.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 09:44:05 PM »
We arrived on the island last week - I have never seen the wind so light day after day, and the forecast calls for more light wind. The surf should get a nice bump on Sunday :)

Here's a shot I took this morning

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 10:03:03 PM »
Where is that Rasta?
We SUS'd kanaha this morning and saw PB and Headmount out there.  Long waits, mainly head high sets with two sets 2-3 overhead.  Friendly vibe.  Then went to Paia fish market for lunch and a break, then Hookipa, where there were some doubleoverhead sets.
You are correct wind is light and temps are up.
Its beautiful.  Beats wetsuiting up in cold water.
Hope the push that was there today sticks around tomorrow. 
Saturday, we are going to Lanai, with a friend who lives in Lahaina, on his fishing boat.  Bringing boards with us just in case. Pretty much staying away from the southside.
I must admit I am sick of having everyone I talk to in Cali, tell me about the shark problem. It must have hit national news.
Hope your having fun!
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 10:22:32 PM »
Ooh, bad choice for saturday. both Saturday and sunday are going to rock. No wind and 3-5 feet hawaiian, which means chree to fi feet ovah yo haole head.

Fiday is going to be a little down from today.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:21:38 PM »
If the wind tomorrow is as light as today, it looks like tomorrow will also be pretty nice.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 11:07:36 PM »
PonoB,
You gave someone a recommendation for sushi this past year.  I know it was not sensei, and I think it might have been upcountry, but not sure.  Can you help?
Thanks!!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 04:38:42 PM »
PonoB,
You gave someone a recommendation for sushi this past year.  I know it was not sensei, and I think it might have been upcountry, but not sure.  Can you help?
Thanks!!

Nuka nuka in Haiku is very popular.  I like it.  By the Haiku PO.

If you see me out in the water come over and say hi

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
Disco, if you want to go to Honolua, actually you can no problem if, you do two things, let your whiskers grow out for a few days (my normal look), and drive a rental that is old with some rust, they can be found (rent-a-wreck), I did it, a faded red Toyota beater, it was perfect!
Don't be timid and wait your turn, but don't loose your place in the lineup, that's the fine line.
Actually that's 3 things, but it works.
At least it did the last time I did that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, about a decade ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 3 good days in a row though, and no hassles.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:25:06 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 07:30:23 PM »
I've been running into Disco for the last few weeks, usually getting out when I'm going in or vice versa. Saw him two nights ago at Nuka and though Geez, this guy knows all the good places.

Now I know the secret.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 07:50:07 PM »
More secrets please.  Heading to Maui on the 20th. 

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 09:57:30 PM »
HM,
Saw you out on saturday at kanaha.  Waves were getting big and I had been out for 4 hours, and never got near you to say hi.  After a few big sets and some nice drops, I had a couple waves where I fell getting lined up.  That told me I was getting tired and as you know the swell was growing.  Saw you take one nice one.  I was just west of you paddling out after a ride.  Wish I had a camera to catch you.  Finally caught a good set wave and went left.  Got me 2/3's of the way in.  Ran into PB going out for second session of the day. 

Missed Kanaha today.  We had friends flying in. Nuka was great and now we get to take them there again.  Also found a great bartender in Makawao, at a mexican restaurant named I think Palillos (sp).  Her name was Lori and the rum was flowing. Sit at the bar and have fun.

Juandoe- If you go out to Hana, go to the Tai Food place just up above the harbor area in Hana.  Special was Red sauce seared Ahi and it was incredible.  We went Friday when there was no swell, and it was a long day, but fun.  Hiked up to the bamboo forest and then on to Waimoko falls.  4 miles round trip and then a swim in the "not so scared pools".  Long drive but you need to do it once.  This is our 4th trip and we finally did it.
Might be a few trips before we do it again. It all comes down to the waves or the wind.

I appreciate all you guys have added to my Honolua goal.  I caught Honolua 5 years ago at head high with no one out and surfed it with my 3 boys alone for two hours.  Came back the next day and there were 40 out, with some very vocal locals.  Waited my turn and got the nod from one of them and went. So i am familiar with the rules of the break.  Some of the locals didn't care how long we waited or how much respect we showed but some do and you just need to wait for them.  I figure I will know when its right.

Can't believe HM and PB get to do this every day. (Southbay and Covesurfer too!)

Hey Cardiff Sweeper- You are gong to have fun next month over here!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard