Author Topic: The Cardiff Sessions  (Read 59462 times)

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
The Cardiff Sessions
« on: October 28, 2013, 06:13:14 PM »
¡Hola hola!
It's been awhile. Here's my thread for all things Cardiff-by-the-Sea related.
:)

Fun hour-long sesh. Chilly water, no wind, no leash. Super fun sets on the Twinny.
10/27/13

(will post higher res images later. my photographer is admittedly, technologically challenged)
 :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 06:23:56 PM by Cardiff Sweeper »

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Cardiff Sessions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 07:43:35 PM »
Nice  ;D

My 7'7 arrives next week, can't wait!!

What are the fins you are using?

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:26:12 PM »
Nice shots... love the first one!
Funny, a buddy, that designs fins, just gave me a SUP thruster set and they are pretty big, so I was going to try my 8'11 RAW as a twin..... now I will definitely be twinning next session, that looks fun :D

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 06:48:07 AM »
You know Cardiff, that first one would have been a great cover shot for SUP Magazine. Love the sequence.  Throw some love to your cameraman...er, woman?

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 09:43:20 AM »
Welcome back, nice shots.  A tech challenged one is better than none.
All discussions of safety aside, leashless has a certain purity to it that is
fresh.  Unlike prone though it's hard to grab the board with one hand if
you go down.

Kevin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 10:13:03 AM »
Welcome back, nice shots.  A tech challenged one is better than none.
All discussions of safety aside, leashless has a certain purity to it that is
fresh.  Unlike prone though it's hard to grab the board with one hand if
you go down.

Ironically, I was SUPin Cardiff last week, leashless, on my new old-board, which is the best board I've ridden, when a guy on a sup let go of his brand new Kevlar Kings board and it hit me in the leg. (It also hit my board).  His board was on a leash, attached to his calf.  I felt like telling him to take his leash off so he wouldn't so easily let go of his board.  But I didn't.  It's all good.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
You bring that board over here?  Looks unreal. 

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
The Cardiff Sessions
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 06:35:03 AM »
Thanks guys!

K2 Racing FCS fins

The center fin could be useful for well overhead conditions. But so far, these wide-base twins have plenty of hold coming off the bottom. They release much later than the GL-1's.

I ditched the center fin early in the summer. The board is a different animal without that anchor slowing it down.  Quads?  Too much drag.
Try it, you'll see what I'm talking about!

headmount, yes. Either this board, or the 8'0".
Both?
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 06:23:46 PM »
With the rougher surface  conditions we have here, I'd say just go with the bigger one and save on the air cargo if that's an issue.  Jan should be hopping.  If the wind is up, you'll just have to DW with us but we should have a fair amount of glassy mornings.  Even with glassy conditions there's a ton of water moving around when the surf's up.  Can't imagine the small one in that.  Even 8' sounds tiny and I haven't seen too many, except flyweights like Kai and Zane go even close to that small.  No matter, there's lots to choose from here if you need anything different from what you bring.  SOme of our spots have none steep take-offs that turn inside out on inner reef.  I like the length for that but I'm just a beginner SUS.

cb super

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 06:41:05 PM »
Cardiff, is that the 7'7 (2014?) Pro? Do you mind me asking your weight?

I ride most often  a 7'8 now (7'8 x 29 x 4.25). Its very stable to me. Trying to decide between the Pro 7'7 or 8'0 for my next board.

I assume the benefits or the brushed carbon are worth it in your opinion?

I am 5'10, 170 - 175lbs.

I have a  7'3 x 31 x 4...105 liters (I am in North Carolina) for those mushy / choppy days we have here. The Air Born looks pretty interesting, but I'll tackle that (vs my current 7'3) for another conversation.

I sincerely apprciate your feedback. Being on the East Coast...we dont have any demo boards here (that I am aware of), so we just kind of have to wing it...(and they aint cheap)!

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 08:17:20 PM »
You guys want some kick ass fins check these guys out !! These fins are custom made on Hanalei Kauai ... and they use pro box fin systems .

www.hanaleifinsystems.com

www.hanaleifinsystems.com/pages/fins/quad_fins.html

www.hanaleifinsystems.com/pages/gallery.html

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »
I test ran my 8'11 Hobie RAW as a twin this morning on a pond. A friend gave me a thruster set he designed for SUP. The set he gave me are very big, made for a larger board, so I test paddled my 8'11 as a twin fin in flat-water. The side bites are 6" with extended base.... They paddled without noticeable yaw but still turned easily, so I took it out in very small waves... knee high and clean.

It paddled easily into waves, felt real solid down the line and turned with no effort. I got good, solid drive out of the sizable side bites, for such small waves. Turns were noticeably easier on the tiny waves, and I feel that I carried a lot more speed in the very soft conditions.

My mini test run leads me to believe that these big fins may very well be a realistic option when the waves get some juice. I should get a good session out of them on Saturday, followed by an update.

Here's a pic of my RAW with the beefy side bites... I'm pretty psyched... always good to have options, and this may really offer a completely different feel to play with ;D

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 11:21:23 PM »
You guys want some kick ass fins check these guys out !! These fins are custom made on Hanalei Kauai ... and they use pro box fin systems .

www.hanaleifinsystems.com

www.hanaleifinsystems.com/pages/fins/quad_fins.html

www.hanaleifinsystems.com/pages/gallery.html

I've got the one on the right.  Works unreal... 7"

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
The Cardiff Sessions
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 01:05:41 AM »
cb super

I'm the same measurements as you listed.
To me, the floatation challenge of the 7'7", combined with the maneuverability, is worth the struggle...even on knee-waist high days.
I paddle in a surf-stance, so the 27" isn't an issue.  My next board will be 25" or narrower.

SupTheCreek...let the good times roll!
You'll get hooked on the speed and looseness. If the board feels too loose, bigger fins will help.

headmount, thanks for the info.
What works best here, may be too small for over there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 09:01:52 AM »
I'm thinking the fin boxes in the starboards can handle the forces from bigger fins.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal