Author Topic: Thanksgiving Day Race in RI  (Read 11667 times)

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Thanksgiving Day Race in RI
« on: October 21, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »
This just showed up on Facebook. I'll be there. Should be a blast.

Eastern Surfing Association is sponsoring it's first ever Thanksgiving SUP Race at the Narrow River Kayak on Narrow River. Race time is 10 AM. $35.00 entry fee. Trophies to ALL racers. Sign ups are from 8:30 AM to 9:30 AM. Three divisions for women and three divisions for men! No pre-entries. What you see is what you get. Burn some calories and then eat them back later. In case of crazy weather, paddle race will be ON CALL for November 27th after 6 PM. Call the ESA hotline at 401-789-1954. All email riders will be notified for any changes in the program.

Thanks

Pete Pan
ESA SNE Director
Bunch of old shit

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Thanksgiving Day Race in RI
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 06:15:39 AM »
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!! I'm in!
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:11:19 AM »
Does tofurkee make a good after race meal?.... ;D

I may see if I can sneak away for it.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:04:23 AM »
Does tofurkee make a good after race meal?.... ;D

I may see if I can sneak away for it.

Ha ha! You'd have to ask my wife as I cant eat that fake meat crap! I go straight to the pie  ;D

Hope to see you there Stoney!
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 05:08:27 PM »
I'm looking for more info but don't see it on the ESA FB page, nothing on Narrow River Kayaks site. Just show and go?...classes? Bring Speedboard or Vec?
Pray for surf before....dawn patrol then race....I'll bring pie for breakfast.... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »
I've done a number of Pete's races... they are very informal.  There has never been board classes (Stoney bring the Speedboard!).  He usually uses the ESA standards of age groups.  It will start right off the Narrow River Kayaks launch... many different loops he has from that location, some as short as 2 miles up to 5.5 miles.  Tide plays a huge factor on depth in some areas and speed... downwind and down current can put you up over 10MPH for some stretches.  He always has trophies for almost every participant and sometimes gear for a raffle.  His races tend to bring a lot of first-time and recreational racers (but that's great to see) and they never had a huge turnout, largest was probably a dozen people.  Still always fun and good vibes.  Great idea for that day, wish I was gonna be there!  Have fun and tell him I said hi.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 05:39:42 AM »
As an ex ESA contest groveler who surfed against Pan in senior men, grandmaster's, and legends, from 85 to 96 culminating in two trips to the East Coast Championships, in 94 and 95 I should go! Eddie would go, need a race board as my Lopez, Focus, and even the Hobie 10'6" won't do it! Matt may loan me his 404. Tofurky us good if your a vegetarian like me, otherwise it pretty rude. Stoneaxe, you got extra raceboard for Mr. Big?
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 03:10:22 PM »
If I go I can bring the Vec for you to use....not a race board but it's 14'.
Bob

Stealthyc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »
Looks like the race is at the town beach instead of Narrow River

SUP UPDATE
Due to the increasing popularity of stand-up paddleboard racing and surfing, the ESA and the Town of Narragansett Recreation Department have teamed up to run the first ever Turkey Trot 2/K 5/K Standup Paddleboard Race at the Narragansett Town Beach on Thanksgiving morning. This will be the first time that the ESA has run any type of activity on a holiday. Early indications are that if the weather is good, the turnout could be great.
There will be two races with no restriction on equipment. One race will be close to two miles, with racers taking off near the seawall and paddling along Ocean Road to Monahan’s Dock and back to the beach. The second race, which will run simultaneously with the 2-mile race, will continue around a buoy and do a second lap to Monahan’s Dock. This race will be close to 4.5 miles.
There are prizes and trophies in all divisions for both races, with six categories in each race. In the female events, there are trophies for Women-29 years and under, Women-30-49 years, and Senior Women-50 years and over. In the male ranks, there are trophies for Men-29 years and under, Masters-30-54 years, and Senior Men-55 years and over. Trophies will be awarded to competitors in both the 2-mile and 4.5 mile races separately. There will also be a free raffle for all competitors, for a complete stand-up paddleboard wetsuit top and bottom (male and female) sponsored by Supreme Wetsuits.
Sign-ups on Thanksgiving morning will take place in the South Pavilion parking lot from 8:30 AM to 9:30 AM. The race will start at 10 AM, with awards given out immediately after the last paddler comes in. In case of bad weather, the race will run on Saturday, November 30th. Entry fee is $35.00 per racer. Cash, credit cards, or checks are welcome.
For those athletes who want to race but do not have equipment, race sponsors Bic Sport USA and Narragansett Surf and Skate are offering a complete wetsuit, board, and paddle rental for $25.00. Equipment will be delivered and picked up at the beach. Interested racers must pay in advance. Contact the Narragansett Surf Shop in advance to make arrangements.
In the event of big surf, the race will be moved to Captain Wheeler State Beach. Race conditions and any changes will be updated on the ESA hotline phone: 401-789-1954. Racers can also check the Narragansett Surf and Skate or the South New England ESA Facebook pages for changes and updates. For further information, contact the ESA at 401-575-0003 or by email at bicsurf@hotmail.com.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
Stoney - Thanks dude. Are you sure the VEC will float me?
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 11:04:32 AM »
It floats me...I used to race it, and still do if the race doesn't include unlimited. She's pretty stable too 14 x 28. I'm not too sure about going however, have to talk with the boss.
Bob

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 01:43:55 PM »
   I'm thinking of going, just have to find out if my girl is working on Thanksgiving. If she is then I'll be down.

I did a glorious 7 miles the other day after almost a month out of the water. The lack of fall swell has left me starving for waves going into winter. I may have to make a trip south of the border again this winter.

Mr Big- You keeping that arm straight?

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 02:15:26 PM »
Stoney - A little joke..I weigh 160..You are slightly larger! Piece of eight - my arm is  as straight as the elbow will allow! Just paddled off Strong Island windy on the return. May go to Philly to see grandson anyway..We'll see eh, boys..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 07:21:01 PM »
LOL....thought you might be but wasn't sure.... :)

Looks like I'll be there if the weather let's it go on....boss gave her blessing so long as I'm back by 2:00. Hope it's not too choppy...the speedboard is tough to handle especially if it's side on.

If for some reason I don't end up going (always possible with my damn headaches and such) you can still use the Vec if you want to pick it up on the way.
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 12:59:51 PM »
Looks like I'm out....my truck is dead....  :(:'(. Not sure I trust the roof racks on my elantra with the big boards.
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal