Author Topic: Is distance paddling boring!  (Read 12081 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: Is distance paddling boring!
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 02:04:53 PM »
I have never felt bored when paddling.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 02:48:01 PM »
You should try paddling the Concord river this time of year.  It's hard to be bored when you're being chased by pissed-off beavers!
I  am not even going there
We have them here.  A guy I paddle with was chased by some and when he tried to beat them off with his paddle, they snatched it. 
At least someone understood
Oh my.
Slapping tails have startled me more than once for sure.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 02:50:56 PM »
No form of paddling is boring!

Distance paddling is more about travelling really. The satisfaction of getting somewhere under your own steam, on your own small craft.

Distance paddling also has it own differences.

I have paddled the whole of the Thames twice... 158 miles over 4 nights in an Open Canoe. It has its own character, through countryside and towns and through the centre of London. Camping as you go. How can that be boring. Tiring but not boring.

The longest paddle I have done at sea was around 80 miles over 4 nights (As blogged on the Zone) through various conditions around the Scottish islands. Through mountains, tidal races. The most exciting paddle I've ever done.

If doing a big sea crossing on your own in a remote area miles from the coast, the surge of adrenalin is more than I've ever had sufing, ever!!

:D
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »
You should try paddling the Concord river this time of year.  It's hard to be bored when you're being chased by pissed-off beavers!
I  am not even going there
We have them here.  A guy I paddle with was chased by some and when he tried to beat them off with his paddle, they snatched it. 
At least someone understood
Oh my.
Slapping tails have startled me more than once for sure.
now you are just bragging
Obfuscation through elucidation

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 06:26:14 PM »
LOL....get a couple of posts in here for slapping tails and an add appears for the "Brazilian Butt Lift".
 We need to start a bizarro thread and see WTF materializes in the sidebar.... ;D. Wait...just realized that any thread where we can get PDX and Celeste trading puns and double entendres goes straight to bizarro land.... ;D

Distance paddling for me becomes meditation, the focus on repetition, thoughts and ideas swirling, I often forget how long I've been paddling. I've headed out more than once planning to paddle out a couple miles and found myself out 4 or 5 without realizing how far I had gone....it's usually about then that the wind switches offshore... ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:29:51 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 09:01:06 PM »
.it's usually about then that the wind switches offshore... ;D
Isn't that the truth. When I was paddling yesterday I must have timed it perfect. I had a head wind no matter what direction I paddled. And No. I wasn't going that fast....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal