Author Topic: Hamboard  (Read 14525 times)

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hamboard
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 06:46:00 AM »
Here is the detailed specs on the trucks and wheels on one of the Hamboards I found on line 

THE BAMBOO CLASSIC (6'6"x15") - $444.95
The Bamboo Classic is designed, finished, and assembled by Hamboards in California it contains 100%  “Green“ renewable Bamboo., complete with wheels, trucks & bearings. Deck Surface: Exclusive baked on Glossy/Grippy deck coating. Wheels: ABEC 11's Top-of-the-Line 97mm Flywheels, Trucks: Original S8, Bearings: Biltin ABEC 7 bearings

Hope this helps.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 11:14:08 AM »
is there any other company that makes a board over 4feet long???

There's several.  This is one I've heard good things about.

http://www.kahunacreations.com/longboards/cruiser

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 04:44:20 PM »
Not that I need another sport - my wife may shoot me if I decide that on top of kiteboarding, SUP surfing, etc. that I should land-SUP and probably break something, these things interest me.

I'm looking at a longboard feel where I can noseride and carve out nice gentle lines.

My questions are - how close to SUP does it feel with the land paddle?
How is it on uneven roadways? My neighborhood isn't exactly the smoothest asphalt.

Does anyone have one and can comment?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 05:23:23 PM »
Not that I need another sport - my wife may shoot me if I decide that on top of kiteboarding, SUP surfing, etc. that I should land-SUP and probably break something, these things interest me.

I'm looking at a longboard feel where I can noseride and carve out nice gentle lines.

How is it on uneven roadways? My neighborhood isn't exactly the smoothest asphalt.

IMO it feels nothing like sup.. except when cruising downhill and doing big carves left and right and swapping the stick from one side to the other like you do when doing turns on a wave.. but the paddling/pushing motion is very different.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 06:21:56 PM »
I agree DJ, nothing like paddling. I like my Big Kahuna, but expected more SUP feel for some reason. I enjoy skateboarding, but I have too many bits that break easily to really dive into it, so I look like a beginner every time, armored up, and going slow.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 06:50:29 PM »

I don't own a land paddle but the few times I've tooled around with one I say it's absolutely nothing like SUPing.  It's like longboard skateboarding because that's all it is.  You are using a stick instead of pushing off with your foot.  Not that it isn't fun in it's own right, but SUPing it's not.  I think your real question is do you want to get into longboard skateboarding and if so what kind of board? 

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
I can't tell you of the benefits or feel of land paddling but I can say getting on a skateboard for some old school land carving will help tune and keep our balance as we age. My trucks are from Carver.

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 11:33:44 PM »
I could be totally wrong, but it appears that their trucks are made by "Original"  It's hard to make out the logo, but I'd be willing to bet on it...

http://www.originalskateboards.com/longboard-trucks

I have an original longboard that's about 47" long with their 200mm trucks.  You can tighten the spring to change the "looseness" of the board.  Very cool design thats been around for some time.  The people at hamboard are simply making a huge deck with wheel wells and a riser. 

I'd say build it yourself. 

thats why I want to build it myself i can not see spending over $500 on a skateboard.

I did it myself and it works well....
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Street-SUP/When-Hamboard-meets-Indigo-sup-gt-HAMDIGO/
Cheers, M

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 05:12:07 AM »

I don't own a land paddle but the few times I've tooled around with one I say it's absolutely nothing like SUPing.  It's like longboard skateboarding because that's all it is.  You are using a stick instead of pushing off with your foot.  Not that it isn't fun in it's own right, but SUPing it's not.  I think your real question is do you want to get into longboard skateboarding and if so what kind of board?

Yeah, the SUP aspect of it tied it into this site a bit, but I'm basically just wondering how they are in general, I have an old gravity board that I ride occasionally, but I really like the ability to noseride/cross-step on a big board. The paddle would probably come later, I'd start just traditionally riding it. I'm looking at the 5' Logger. Again - mainly just wondering how smooth it is riding wise, etc.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 01:47:32 PM »
Just pulled the trigger on a Hamboard Pinger (5'7" longboard/fish cross). I found it used so only setting me back $220, bought a Kahuna Big Stick, both should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to trying it out.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2017, 07:02:03 AM »
APPST

let me know how you like it.   I am very into skating of all kinds- and have a quiver that would be divorce attorney grounds for most wives.

I justify it because i have amassed it while moving around.  Downhill Northn CA, Pool/Park when in NYC, and now distance that i have some great long private paths here in NJ.

I use a land paddle - but its nothing like SUP- I do it as part of a Push/Pump/paddle setup for distance and racing.  i have done the Central Park race the last few years and got 7th with the paddle.  which was pretty good- as i was at least double the age of the first 6 guys and the first 4 were super elite guys who werent really even part of the race they were so fast.

ive found the paddle to be very mildly fun carving turns- but an awesome upper body workout when paired with pushing Skogging (Pushing with your non natural foot on long stances) or to aid pumping. 

I log so 20-30miles with this setup.

Everytime i take my cruiser out I seem to get annoyed because im just going slow.  Even on my Carver which is designed to do just that.

ill take some picks of the quiver and post later today. 

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2017, 05:25:39 AM »
APPST

let me know how you like it.   I am very into skating of all kinds- and have a quiver that would be divorce attorney grounds for most wives.

I justify it because i have amassed it while moving around.  Downhill Northn CA, Pool/Park when in NYC, and now distance that i have some great long private paths here in NJ.

I use a land paddle - but its nothing like SUP- I do it as part of a Push/Pump/paddle setup for distance and racing.  i have done the Central Park race the last few years and got 7th with the paddle.  which was pretty good- as i was at least double the age of the first 6 guys and the first 4 were super elite guys who werent really even part of the race they were so fast.

ive found the paddle to be very mildly fun carving turns- but an awesome upper body workout when paired with pushing Skogging (Pushing with your non natural foot on long stances) or to aid pumping. 

I log so 20-30miles with this setup.

Everytime i take my cruiser out I seem to get annoyed because im just going slow.  Even on my Carver which is designed to do just that.

ill take some picks of the quiver and post later today.

I'm having a blast on the Pinger, great workout, love how it carves back  and forth. I haven't gotten the balls to walk up the nose yet. It carves really smoothly and feels stable. Full disclosure - I have little to no skating background, and I've had no issues so far.

I got the Kahuna big stick as well, it takes some getting used to, I thought it would have a bit more power, basically it's enough to keep you going once you kickstart, and it helps with balance through turns. I'm wondering if Hamboards Street Sweeper would have been better, but I wasn't ready to spend an extra $175 on something I wasn't sure I'd like yet.

I can see working this in tquite a bit to my overall workout/SUP/kite activities.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 08:52:14 AM »
Quick update on Hamboard - I've jumped back on it after it broke my foot last June, sad thing was I wasn't even riding it, I was standing on it talking to my wife and hopped off and hit the curb wrong and turned my foot.

Anyways - I bought the Hamboard paddle on a Christmas sale (30% off) - and it is much better than the Kahuna big stick. Definitely fun to get out and carve around on. Highly recommend it, good exercise too.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2019, 09:20:14 AM »
Quick update on Hamboard - I've jumped back on it after it broke my foot last June, sad thing was I wasn't even riding it, I was standing on it talking to my wife and hopped off and hit the curb wrong and turned my foot.

Anyways - I bought the Hamboard paddle on a Christmas sale (30% off) - and it is much better than the Kahuna big stick. Definitely fun to get out and carve around on. Highly recommend it, good exercise too.
I've got the Hamboard "Fish" last spring and I made myself a decent paddle out of PVC pipe and other materials.  The Hamboard is definitely a lot more of a workout than I thought.  I like it and do ride it now and then, but I was disappointed that you couldn't tighten the trucks much.  Not enough like a SUP, turns too easy, wish I had gotten a longer one. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:22:44 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal