Author Topic: Hamboard  (Read 14521 times)

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Hamboard
« on: October 13, 2013, 07:51:29 PM »
So I have been looking at buying a hamboard for a few months now, but I can not justify $500 for a skateboard. So I think I might try and make one. I know what trucks hamboards uses, I just need to figure out what to make the deck out of. I was thinking 3/4 inch oak ply wood or pine. It has to be that thick I think to be 5 feet long. Does anyone here have a hamboard?

Rail_Banger

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hamboard
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 01:30:24 AM »
My brother has one, and I know Pete at hamboard personally. They are plywood with an area routed out for the wheels to tuck into. They also have a "rubberized" coating on the deck making them great to ride barefoot.  He has played with bamboo as a deck as well. Kinda cool. BTW the Hamboard team was just on Shark Tank last week.

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:03:31 AM »
They look like original trucks - is that the case?

I'd look for maple ply.  The oak may be too stiff.

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 04:06:59 AM »
11 ply birch laminate for a deck that big.
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 04:21:58 AM »
I would say Baltic/Russian/Finnish Birch ply, look for it in 5x5 sheets.  You might get away with 12mm, but more likely 18mm
Obfuscation through elucidation

SUPlime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 04:40:08 AM »
Is be interested in how you make out. I'd like to make one too. Sooo expensive for a piece of plywood and some trucks and wheels. For those who watched Shark Tank, what was their margin?

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:47:56 AM »
If I remember right, they make them for around $200 or so. I think they also mentioned a patent pending on their trucks.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 05:18:39 AM »
If you break it down, good loose trucks will cost about $150 plus wheels...

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 09:51:04 AM »
I could be totally wrong, but it appears that their trucks are made by "Original"  It's hard to make out the logo, but I'd be willing to bet on it...

http://www.originalskateboards.com/longboard-trucks

I have an original longboard that's about 47" long with their 200mm trucks.  You can tighten the spring to change the "looseness" of the board.  Very cool design thats been around for some time.  The people at hamboard are simply making a huge deck with wheel wells and a riser. 

I'd say build it yourself. 

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 09:59:02 AM »
i am going to use original's S8 trucks they cost around $65 and i will throw on a set of 85mm wheels.

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »
I could be totally wrong, but it appears that their trucks are made by "Original"  It's hard to make out the logo, but I'd be willing to bet on it...

http://www.originalskateboards.com/longboard-trucks

I have an original longboard that's about 47" long with their 200mm trucks.  You can tighten the spring to change the "looseness" of the board.  Very cool design thats been around for some time.  The people at hamboard are simply making a huge deck with wheel wells and a riser. 

I'd say build it yourself. 

thats why I want to build it myself i can not see spending over $500 on a skateboard.

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 10:05:29 AM »
You may want to consider the s10, depending on the placement of your trucks and the width of your board.  It may be wise to  use some cheap home depot plywood and iron out the kinks before you order up something expensive. 

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »
is there any other company that makes a board over 4feet long???

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 06:38:14 PM »
You may want to consider the s10, depending on the placement of your trucks and the width of your board.  It may be wise to  use some cheap home depot plywood and iron out the kinks before you order up something expensive. 

i think I might just go with the s10, I am going to do a few different boards before i go expensive with wood.

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 06:50:36 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal