Author Topic: 8' Simsup learning curve  (Read 17012 times)

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: 8' Simsup learning curve
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 08:50:51 AM »
You guys told me over and over, that once you get down the take off on the short board, thats it, and catching waves will be easy.  It was so true, but when I was practicing, it seemed like I would never get it..So everyday, when I was trying to catch waves, I would fall off so much, that I was getting worried that I never would get it. Frustarted Kooksville for sure.. I was a stubborn SOB, and my times I wanted to pull out my Prone surfboard and go for it, but I stuck it out and now I am super glad I did.. It was worth it.

Funny thing is, my local proners wouldn't give me a hard time, but would encourage me to keep trying even when I blew a wave. Now tell me thats not cool..  They have watched the transition of a proner to a stander, and were stoked to help.

This is my first morning not surfing in a long time, that is except the two days we had the tropical storm. WOW,  I am flying high on meds, sitting here on my easy chair,still in excruciating pain and wishing I was in the water...  I also wish I knew what was wrong.  X Rays say no broken ribs, so ???? Wish I had a diagnosis other than to take pills and lets see what happens.. Must be pulled ribs? Or nerve in ribs?  Must be like my Mexican pulled ribs I like so much.  I am not a good patient.

I am sitting here in La La Land with really good meds, writing to  bunch of good guys,  but still wish I was in the water.  

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 09:21:36 AM »
 I also wish I knew what was wrong.  X Rays say no broken ribs, so ???? Wish I had a diagnosis other than to take pills and lets see what happen

I took a shot to the ribs a few years ago. The pain was unbelievable. Worst pain of my life. Doctor said I must have hit a nerve. He said the nerve needed to calm down. He injected muscle relaxant right into my ribs. He was right. It worked.

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 09:30:02 AM »
I have broken ribs before and that wasnt anywhere as painful as this.. How long after the shot did you start to feel better?  How long before you were normal?  I will go to the Dr later today and ask for the Muscle relaxer shot, actually I will ask for a double..

Muchas Gracias for the info, I will take all the help I can get:)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 10:46:46 AM »
I have broken ribs before and that wasnt anywhere as painful as this.. How long after the shot did you start to feel better?  How long before you were normal?  I will go to the Dr later today and ask for the Muscle relaxer shot, actually I will ask for a double..

Muchas Gracias for the info, I will take all the help I can get:)

The shot worked within a few hours. The next day felt more like a normal broken rib. It only hurt when I moved wrong. Pain was manageable.

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 10:53:29 AM »
Hi DW

Thanks that's very encouraging   In some craxy pain right now  I will go and get the shot   How long before you were 100% ? Some nice south swell heading our way next week

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 11:32:39 AM »
Broke 5 ribs and collapsed a lung 9 weeks ago. Just beginning to inch my way back into the SUSing. Once you get the pain under control you'll need some protection until it heals fully. This thread from some weeks back has some great suggestions about bracing and padding: http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=21967.msg220421#msg220421

This was my contribution (evoshield rib guards): http://www.evoshield.com/Rib-Protector-Football-Padded-Shirt-Hybr   I recommend it highly.

Good luck healing up soon.

14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 02:30:32 PM »
Hi DW

Thanks that's very encouraging   In some craxy pain right now  I will go and get the shot   How long before you were 100% ? Some nice south swell heading our way next week

I never stopped. I actually made it worse kitesurfing. So I switched to a seat harness while it healed. I paddled from the side that didn't hurt so much.

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »
DW-Hardcore all the way..Love it.. Cut from the same cloth, I usually work my way through all injuries.

My Dr. asked if you knew the medication they shot into your ribs?  He wants to do a pain/nerve-block shot, but wants to know what they gave you before continuing

I cant even stand up, carry anything, or even think about hopping on a board.. I am bed/chair bound until I can get this intense pain under control. 

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2013, 12:29:13 PM »
Thanks big time   Saw one by O'Neil that doesn't look too invasive  probably buy it later today, but wanted to start a new thread asking advice first

The one that you got for football, how did it hold up
In the waves? 

Broke 5 ribs and collapsed a lung 9 weeks ago. Just beginning to inch my way back into the SUSing. Once you get the pain under control you'll need some protection until it heals fully. This thread from some weeks back has some great suggestions about bracing and padding: http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=21967.msg220421#msg220421

This was my contribution (evoshield rib guards): http://www.evoshield.com/Rib-Protector-Football-Padded-Shirt-Hybr   I recommend it highly.

Good luck healing up soon.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 01:44:41 PM »
So far so good. The interesting thing about the evoshield is that the protection material comes soft and in sealed foil but then molds to your body and hardens within 30 minutes of being exposed to air. I wear it with the included shirt which is pretty snug and a rash guard over it and I suppose I'll be able to just slide the pad under a tight wetsuit top when it gets colder. The actual pad is light and dissipates impact well. There are a number of promotional videos on the internet showing what it is and how it works. Here’s one of a young kid getting hit by a pitch while wearing one:
How's your pain management?
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »
For the first time since I got hurt.

My wife left town yesterday, so I went out today.. Sore as hell, no impact vest, just a 1mm vest..I had no strength when paddling, and not much upper body movement, but got about 20 waves on my 8' SIMSUP   Man, I would have been happy with one wave..Now I am stoked, just worried about re-injuring myself

I know what you guys meant when you wrote "once you get the take off, you get it and catching waves will be a breeze". 

My wife went to the states yesterday, so she is bringing me back a Xl Gooru vest...

Thanks for all the input.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal