Author Topic: 8' Simsup learning curve  (Read 17003 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: 8' Simsup learning curve
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
One of the weirdest things I find with this board is that occasionally I find myself full on sideways, both feet almost parallel, perpendicular and directly over the centerline. It's usually after I've been moving around a bit and am out towards the nose just cruising down the line. Not usually a conscious placement....I just end up there. Back foot 12" in front of the handle and front foot in the middle of the diamond pattern on the noise which is about 14-15 inches from the front. My feet are about shoulder width 23-24 inches. Real smooth control from there with just heel and toe pressure.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 05:00:29 AM »
I have my feet like that on my 10' but I was falling off catching waves with pitch problems on my 8' board, thats why I went to the wide surf stance.  I got the advice from this board, but I know there is more than one way to skin a cat.The narrow stance is easier for me, just got to get the pitch thing down and then it will be sweet..

I noticed the paddle/speed thing already, when I paddled hard multiple times trying to get the wave, I had more chances of losing my balance, and more times than not, I never got the wave.. Wave positioning is critical on the shorter board.  When I timed the wave right, it was one or two hard strokes... Surfing the 8' is more like my late one or two paddle takeoffs of my short prone board, not my early entries of my prone logs... Timing is everything... One thing though, the wave on takeoff looks so different from up high.

I have to wait until later this week to try out the new techniques as we are in the middle of a tropical storm and ugly conditions for the next few days.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 05:20:35 AM »
"One thing though, the wave on takeoff looks so different from up high."  ..good point Baja.  I have been intimidated standing on the ledge on a Shoulder to HH wave staring into the pit. Most of our waves are very quick to close, so it's difficult for me to gin up the nerve to go-for-it.  When I was proning, 15yrs ago my CG was very low and I wasn't wrestling with balance as I am with SUP.  Surf kiting was easier than both with instant acceleration available, but that damn kite wants to kill you at all times so it was not as leisurely.

No complaints however.. I would not get up in the morning if there was not some challenge in front of me.  This is the funnest.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 05:52:27 AM »
Most of our waves are very quick to close, so it's difficult for me to gin up the nerve to go-for-it.  

So true. When I travel, I'm shocked by how different the wave shapes are, from here in North Carolina (and probably Maryland).

Our waves are like baby Teahupo'o  ;D

At some point, you'll discover the right boards for your waves. They are often not what they use on the west coast.

gtcali

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 09:25:16 AM »
Adjustments the last couple of times I went out that seemed to help me.  Catching the wave, staggered not surf stance.  My shoulders as still square with the board facing forward.  I shortened my stroke. I've been paddling up to my rear foot's toes  The shortend stroke is more quick jabs which helped me accelerate quicker and keep better balance. 

Yay? Nay?  I'm still learning too.

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 09:42:27 AM »
bumpy head high storm surf today with a good offshore.  It was difficult to just stand on the board.  I tried the feet closer together, and did okay and even caught a few waves, but nose pearled on a few of them.. So I kept the feet staggered a bit, and closer together and did better.  Next kept feet close together, and then just before the wave got to me, stepped back in surf stance and one hard paddle... Caught some nice waves.

Waiting for the wave helped, and I got some fun late takeoffs, great fun...

Learned a lot guys, thanks for all the tips.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 10:53:37 AM »
So I kept the feet staggered a bit, and closer together and did better.  Next kept feet close together, and then just before the wave got to me, stepped back in surf stance and one hard paddle... Caught some nice waves.

Waiting for the wave helped, and I got some fun late takeoffs, great fun...
While my board reduction was only a foot, i'm near the limit of what i find comfortable.  I've been doing everything you have Baja, with similar results.  I'm almost ready to graduate from Kookergarten.  :)

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 06:47:00 AM »
DW - Were those pics you posted local?  I just got to town friday, now living in Carolina Beach. I'm going to check out the north end probably tomorrow....any safety issues out there for a newer guy?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 07:09:20 AM »
DW - Were those pics you posted local?  I just got to town friday, now living in Carolina Beach. I'm going to check out the north end probably tomorrow....any safety issues out there for a newer guy?

Yes. At Carolina Beach inlet. Beach marker 15.

Look for other SUPs. Introduce yourself. Surf Machine drives a silver 4WD van.

surf marker 15 or 3.

Give me a call Friday evening. I'll let you know weekend plans.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:11:25 AM by DW »

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 01:37:12 PM »
I got it down pat!  I GOT IT DOWN..  Thanks so much guys.. Super easy takeoffs, feet staggered but close, one to two paddle takeoffs.  SOOOO EASY TODAY.  You guys shortened my learning curve big time.

Had a great surf in should head high pealers.

Last wave, caught an edge, took a spill, and lost my breath..Something happened to my left lower abdominal cavity.  Couldn't breath or move..  Got some help out of the water and drove myself to the clinic..  Spent a couple of hours at the hospital.  Nothing ruptured inside, and the gave me a shot of a morphine derivative.  They couldnt figure out what was wrong, so now I am at home in my lazy chair.  If I stay immobile, all is okay, the moment I move a tiny bit, it hurts like hell..

So go figure, I get all this down and then I am sidelined for who knows how long.  Cant wait to get back in the water, and finally surf my board 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 06:18:24 PM »
How awesome is it that we love something so much that when it screws us up and we are in pain all we can think about is how soon it will get better so we can do it again. Gotta love it....glad it all helped...the zone is an amazing place. Heal well.

Funny, I was thinking about this thread today. I went out at noon, waist to chest and clean. Having some fun rides but I'm in my usual spot between the shorts and longs...more towards the shortboards since it was relatively weak faces. A friend came out and wanted to try my 8-4. He was on a 10-5 Starboard Widepoint so we swapped. I've gotten so use to being 9-0 or below I was surprised how easy I could catch a wave...much further out. Beyond the longboards. I was also pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the widepoint. Fun board, surfs shorter than 10-5 but doesn't give up any glide. I need to swap with folks more often...I'm looking for something in the 10-11ft range.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 08:36:27 PM »
Look around for an old Naish Nalu 11'6". You can probably find one cheap. They're really a fun board. Kind of wish it had thrusters, but it's good as a single fin.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 07:30:01 AM »
Nalu's are nice but I liked the 11-2 SB Blend even better. Not as many around though. The widepoint is nice but not a nose rider. Maybe I should just take out the 10-6 C4 I have. It was always a bit tippy for me at 28" wide but I haven't been on it in a long time. Hey that's a good idea...taking tomorrow off...perfect day to try it out. Glassy it's fine and tomorrows forecast looks good....packing most of the quiver and hitting the road.
Bob

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 08:25:18 AM »
Heal quick Baja, and grats on the physical epiphany.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 08:44:58 AM »
Never did care for that C4, only turns from the tail and almost as hard to balance on than the 12'2" X 26--which is nearly impossible. I can't think of anything it really does well. Get something stable, fun and cheap.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard