Author Topic: Microsoft WTF??  (Read 4548 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Microsoft WTF??
« on: October 08, 2013, 06:10:05 PM »
It's been a long time since I've used a MS product, but I'm writing some fiction, and the easiest way to publish on Kindle is with MS Word formatting, so I bought office.

Holy crap! Have they stopped updating Office? No saving every change to the cloud (what cloud?), menus that are a zillion layers deep, all the same funkiness and style sheet randomness I used to hate. Sharing across devices--got to be there somewhere, but I have a feeling it's going to take a lot of time to make it work and be up to date. I forgot what it was like having software that you had to learn in order to use.

What's worse, it's locking up my computers randomly, it grabs seven spots on the app bar with butt-ugly logos. Sheesh. It's like I paid $139 to be slapped with a dead fish, transported to 1997, and infected with a virus.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft WTF??
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:21:33 PM »
I just got a new laptop with Windows 8.  My computer guy reworked it so it can look and work like 7.  8 has some good features but is bizarre in many random ways.  He said his clients are being driven crazy by 8 out of the box. 

I also have been having problems with my old MS Word, and told him I was thinking of getting a new version.  He installed Kingsoft Office Suite instead.  It's free and he said I'll be happier with it.  Haven't used it yet but he's never been wrong before. 

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:29:38 AM »
MS is like what you expect from poorly supported freeware
Obfuscation through elucidation

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:37:34 AM »
IMO Microsoft is a total joke! It has held back computer development, worldwide for far too long!

Not a single product of theirs is intuitive to use, a total pain in the neck :(

The sooner the whole thing is dead the better  :P
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:39:52 AM by UKRiverSurfers »
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:39:01 AM »
I use Pages on iPad, Sooooooooooooooooo much better :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:06:46 AM »
UKRiverSurfers  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm with you....

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »
What is a Microsoft?...... ;)
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 11:22:48 AM »
It's like I paid $139 to be slapped with a dead fish, transported to 1997, and infected with a virus.
For a moment there, I thought you'd been on a date with my dad....   ;)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »
My 10 year old son has no problem with Windows 8 on his laptop. He Skype's while killing his best buddies over and over. No mouse either. He's the admin on 2 game servers (worlds), and he paddles. I still use XP.... 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 12:15:52 PM »
I generally use pages, but it's a bitch to publish something on Kindle when you do. iBook, no problem, and the ten people that use iBooks would be happy.

Word is amazingly hideous. Staggering complexity presented completely. No sense of hiding complexity unless you need it--bleah--here's everything we got.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 12:36:17 PM »
Screw MS Bill, I'd be more interested to hear a little bit about what you're writing.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 03:00:07 PM »
Straight fiction. I've been playing with a book for about two years, but I painted myself into a corner and put it aside. When I was driving down to the BOP I figured out how to solve the problem and the rest of the story wrote itself, though in kind of a lightweight fashion. Needs a little more flesh but there's a sort of ending now. Fun to write, I'll bounce it off an few agents and see if there's interest, otherwise I'll do a kindle thing.

Last time I wrote something it was a business book, and the agent I sent it to said "there's five books here", but I got bored with ripping it up and busy at the same time and never did what he wanted.  I might have the same problem again. It does seem a little involved.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:04:52 PM by PonoBill »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 11:38:44 AM »
I just got a new laptop with Windows 8.  My computer guy reworked it so it can look and work like 7.  8 has some good features but is bizarre in many random ways.  He said his clients are being driven crazy by 8 out of the box. 

What test group liked The Metro Interface?  Was anyone asking for touch for full blown Windows?  That is the least intuitive chunk of crap I have ever seen - and atrociously ugly.  All they needed to do was spruce up 7 a bit and everyone would have been pleased.  Here's hoping for a decent 9.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 08:46:38 PM »
Dream on Buckwheat. Do you have any idea how long people have been saying that? They're gonna have to change the numbering system again, just to generate a little hope. I recoomend roman numerals since no one can figure out what they mean. Here's to a better LLMVII It's got to be better than LLMVI

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »
Microsoft already does use Roman numerals with its Box.  And the tenth version is OK, but the Ibox through the IXbox never even made it to market. 

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal