Author Topic: Doheny surf Breaks "rules" for SUP  (Read 22211 times)

SanCKid

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Doheny surf Breaks "rules" for SUP
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 06:30:14 AM »
Sorry about about jumbling up this paragraph as I shouldn't type when I'm pissed off!

My comment back to him was, why isn't it a safety issue @ any other state beach?

I find it interesting and unjust that they claim they are protecting bather's (which includes surfers) but, they not concerned about protecting bathers @ any other state beach, just SanO and Doheny?

Swimmers and children would find a rocked bottom beach more desirable then a sandy bottom beach and the sandy bottom beach doesn't have a safety issue? And, if they are concerned with the size of SUP's there are more longboarders with bigger boards out there than most SUP's?  They could always make waring a leash mandatory?

The whole issue doesn't make any sense to me!

12'6" Hovie Pursuit
8'10" Supsports WD
8'8" Naish Hokua X32 LE
9’ Naish Hokua GT

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 12:00:29 PM »
Sorry about about jumbling up this paragraph as I shouldn't type when I'm pissed off!

My comment back to him was, why isn't it a safety issue @ any other state beach?

I find it interesting and unjust that they claim they are protecting bather's (which includes surfers) but, they not concerned about protecting bathers @ any other state beach, just SanO and Doheny?

Swimmers and children would find a rocked bottom beach more desirable then a sandy bottom beach and the sandy bottom beach doesn't have a safety issue? And, if they are concerned with the size of SUP's there are more longboarders with bigger boards out there than most SUP's?  They could always make waring a leash mandatory?

Totally valid points. ^^^^^^^

The SUP Dogpatch area will busting at the seams come summer so I think that things will be challenged a little more.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 01:42:09 PM »
SanC,
I agree, very valid points. 
I had an incident two weeks ago where a couple of very good longboarders were out, without leashes.  Waves were head hi+.  I rode one till it broke, then jumped over the white water.  Got back up on my board and started paddling, looked up and a longboard was moving upside down and sideways, right at me.  No surfer in sight of course.  Took the rail of the board right across my shins.  I fell off grabbed the board and took it all the way in with me and sat on the beach till the guy got there.  Low tide so he had a brutal walk to me.  We talked about leashes and safety, or I should say I talked about leashes and safety with him.  All he said was "go home kook".  If this was a beach break and kids were swimming in the area, the board would have it hard.  Perception is that we are dangerous, reality is different. 
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 01:55:09 PM »
SanC,
I agree, very valid points. 
I had an incident two weeks ago where a couple of very good longboarders were out, without leashes.  Waves were head hi+.  I rode one till it broke, then jumped over the white water.  Got back up on my board and started paddling, looked up and a longboard was moving upside down and sideways, right at me.  No surfer in sight of course.  Took the rail of the board right across my shins.  I fell off grabbed the board and took it all the way in with me and sat on the beach till the guy got there.  Low tide so he had a brutal walk to me.  We talked about leashes and safety, or I should say I talked about leashes and safety with him.  All he said was "go home kook".  If this was a beach break and kids were swimming in the area, the board would have it hard.  Perception is that we are dangerous, reality is different.

Those guys are the ones no doubt that are on their cell phones to the lifeguards every time a SUPer crosses the OK sign. I won't name names. They're like children that tell their mommy when little Johnny won't give their toy back.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 12:28:52 PM »

I suppose hatred does not have to make sense.  I think they are opposed to SUP surfing and will find any justification for their prejudice.  Doesn't have to be logical.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 03:16:59 PM »

I suppose hatred does not have to make sense.  I think they are opposed to SUP surfing and will find any justification for their prejudice.  Doesn't have to be logical.

Well said.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

StandinDan

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »
I find this quote helpful, from the Emperor,

“When you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people I deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous and surly. They are like this because they can't tell good from evil."   Marcus Aurelius

His advice was to just tolerate them like emotional children, when he could have had them crucified. It gets tough sometimes when I want to lash back and go full Jules Winfield: " I don't remember askin' you a Goddamn thing! "

SupSurfIsSurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2014, 09:18:09 PM »
I was down there lady Thursday got blow horned twice and met by both lifeguard trucks. Coincidentally or not me and a few guys were talking in the water about this very issue. I raised all the points to the guards.  Ultimately they are following the rules and they are being nice. But the rule is the question this wave ski Elaine's how the rule got started because of a rid with Stewart many moons ago. Real cool story actually. I'm beginning to do research on the issue. If any of you have some start flooding it and let's get a game plan together and make a smart challenge on this.  It's only fair. I'm not trying to start trouble but there needs to be better clarification. Infinity makes a 6'4" Phoenix and a 6'9" blurr.  Are these really worse than a 12 longboard?  And when did long boarders start acting like short boarders?  Lets be fair. 
Wavestorm 9'6" (Reitred)
Riviera nugg 9'2" (Retired)
Coreban Vibe 8'0" (Retired)
Infinity Blurr 8'2"
J Sleigh 7'4"
Beater Bord 9'0"

SupSurfIsSurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2014, 09:42:28 PM »
What do you guys make of the definition of bathers including prone surfers but excluding paddle surfers?

Anyone know the history of the black ball flags probably similar stuff?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:47:44 PM by SupSurfIsSurf »
Wavestorm 9'6" (Reitred)
Infinity Blurr 8'2"
J Sleigh 7'4"
Beater Bord 9'0"

SupSurfIsSurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2014, 09:51:03 PM »
Ill begin to look into how to challenge the existence of this rule. 

Versus

Just fighting a single citation. 

Winning one citation is identical to winning a speeding ticket,  I think the consensus is to challenge the speed limit. Big difference.

If anyone has some of the administrative procedures researched please message me.

Thanks
Wavestorm 9'6" (Reitred)
Infinity Blurr 8'2"
J Sleigh 7'4"
Beater Bord 9'0"

SanCKid

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2014, 05:34:40 PM »
Just posted information concerning the Rules/Regulations for SanO/Doheny on the forum.  Investigate "HPWA to rise again" on the forum. 

If you don't want to hassle looking for the documents referenced there, contact me and I'll email them to you.

Fight the good fight!
12'6" Hovie Pursuit
8'10" Supsports WD
8'8" Naish Hokua X32 LE
9’ Naish Hokua GT

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2014, 05:55:40 PM »
Good stuff-keep it up boys!
HE>I.com