Author Topic: 2013 Naish Hokua 8'3 GT  (Read 6932 times)

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
2013 Naish Hokua 8'3 GT
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:21:14 PM »
I was on the fence about this board for a long time.  First, I didn't even know if I could ride it at my weight, I hoped/assumed the volume listing of 90L was understated as I've experienced with past boards.  Second, I didn't know if it'd perform much different than my 8'5 or 7'3, but the pros sure make it look good!  I read enough to find out a few people had tried it and had caught a few waves on it at around my weight range.  That and the price coming down a bit gave me the green light.

Picked the board up today and headed straight to the water for a small test session.

2013 Hokua 8'3 GT board spec:  8'3 x 27-3/4" x 3.5" @ 90L, came with FCS M7 glass sides and 5.5" center.  Not sure on exact weight but feels a few lbs lighter than the 8'5

Past/current quiver:  PSH 9'3, JL Mano 9'0, Hokua 8'5, Hokua 8'4, Hokua 7'3

Rider: 5'10" (178 cm);  Stripped down weight and dehydrated after the session:  177lbs (80kg).  Prior to session ~183lbs (83kg).  Wetsuit+booties(wet) 8lbs (3.6kg).  All up riding weight about 180-190lbs (81.6-86kg).  I've been SUP'ing for a few years now.

Conditions:  Small hard beach break, not really any shoulders, knee to waist+ high, slight bump (mostly rebound from shore), side-off wind 12mph (10kts).  i.e.. not great at all.

Description:  Wow, when I first saw the box and felt how light and thin it was, I got worried right away.  I had planned on losing some weight to ride the board, at that point I knew I really would have to!  Compared to the Hokua 8'5 GT this one feels a ton thinner.  I can hold both boards up with one hand by the rail, but on the 8'3 I can do it with my finger tips and not touch my palm!  The 8'5 also has those rail ledges for easier balancing, and the 8'3 does not, so that just makes it seem all the much different in thickness.  The 8'3 nose and tail are much thinner than the 8'5, very noticeable.  The tail is also quite narrow.  The rocker on the 8'3 seems to be greater than the 8'5.

Riding impressions: 
-Balancing:  I had a bit of a chuckle as I threw the board into the water and hopped on.  I was thinking, god I hope I can ride this thing, I felt there was a serious possibility I might not be able to!  The 8'3 is definitely lower in volume than the 7'3.  My balance knee paddling wasn't much better than standing.  There is plenty of width, but I was sinking it pretty good.  The 8'5 in similar conditions might get my heels a tiny bit wet, and the 7'3 would be getting the balls of my ankles wet, but the 8'3 had half my shins covered at a stand still.  Only about 3" of nose was above the water at a stand still.  It was quite tricky to keep my heels and toes properly trimmed as to not sink the nose.  The rebound bump from shore was really causing me grief a few times, by making me sink the nose and then bail.  I found I was standing about 2-4" forward of the handle for best position while holding my spot.  Paddling was pretty darn slow!  Felt like I was dragging an anchor, esp when I went against the wind.  Got a good work out for sure!  When paddling at uh, speed, I guess you could call it, the tail remained about 4" under water, but the water line almost got to about my toes.
-Riding:  This board reminds me of the 7'3 when paddling for a wave and dropping in.  It doesn't paddle very fast at all, you kind of wait for the wave to push you then just rock the board down the lip to drop in.  It takes off late due to the low speed of paddling.  It feels good dropping in, takes off right away and wants to go.  Doesn't seem as "squirty" as the 7'3 with it's quads, but it does go.  After drop-in is out of the way the first turn was very responsive and light, it turns great!  The thin rails really make it dig, unlike the 7'3 which kind of flops/bobs around a bit on the really thick rail.  I managed to get a few good speedy drop-ins and was easily able to turn around to hit the lip straight on.  Wow, this is where it really shines!  My second or third bottom turn I really had enough speed to stick it hard and it whipped around very nice and stable!  The top rotation was super light and simple.  Plenty of nose rocker to avoid burying the nose on the steep drop.  The 7'3 does a great job of turning around and hitting the lip, but it's more of a sliding rotating thing to turn it around, whereas the 8'3 stuck the rail solidly in the water and held a good line all the way around to the top.  I cannot wait to get some good waves with this thing!!!!!!   ;D

Moving forward:  I need to lose 10-15lbs, at least!  I think a more comfortable weight range might be about 165lbs for this board, so I'm going to get back to my ideal weight so I can paddle out in the bigger stuff.  Don't get me wrong, it's ride-able for me now, but just sinks too much to stay lined up and paddling for waves out on the bigger water.  I ride quads on the 8'5 and 7'3 and love them, I'll probably switch to quads on the 8'3 soon to see how it feels.  I'll update this thread when I get more rides on it.

Took a few pics next to the 8'5, and the shameless sexy hood shot  :P

P.S. either board fits fully inside the FRS/BRZ/GT86, but not at the same time unless maybe you removed the fins.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Re: 2013 Naish Hokua 8'3 GT
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 05:53:04 AM »
Nice looking board (except the weird tail), but NICER looking wheels!
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 04:07:31 PM »
Got out on a couple bigger days, but bumpy/windy

Me with my wetsuit dry are 185lbs, I actually weighed myself suited up.  After I'm wet probably around 190lbs.  I notice a pretty big difference in balance difficulty once I take my first spill and pick up the water weight... and I thought only women could complain about that  ::)

Even in chest to head high swell with rebound from three directions, 1-2ft of wind chop, and 15mph of side-on wind, I was still able to catch a few waves (but yea it was like surfing Hell basically).  I've never struggled so hard.  Just passing the paddle to the other hand would lead to falling off half the time.  I had to paddle constantly and hard full strokes.  I was able to sneak a peek at the horizon from time to time.  Knee paddling was even difficult when all the bump teamed up against me.  Hopefully this gives people an idea of what is(n't) possible on 90L.  I'd guess at this point that at 180lbs all-up weight you'd do a bit better, but still struggle.  At 170lbs I think you'd be getting close to having fun, and at 160lbs you'd probably be liking it most of the time.  Now to lose that weight!   ;)

I switched to a tri fin setup with 3 M7's (stole a rear 50/50 M7 from my Hokua 8'5 gear and added a long board adapter) to see if it loosened up a bit.  Well, the bottom turns lost all their drive, it mushed pretty bad, too loose at the bottom.  Of course the top was great, but getting there was much tougher.  I've decided to switch to the quad H3 (large H3's up front and small 50/50 H3's in the rear) setup from my 8'5 next time.  I have the slight feeling from my session today that this board is going to want a good amount of fin for some reason... the 5.5 center with the M7 sides felt a lot better... but unfortunately I like to get loose at the top so that's not going to work for me.

Turning/carving compared to the 8'5 is improved quite a bit.  I had a chance to try the 8'5 out for one day between two days on the 8'3..  The 8'3 makes a much tighter turn for sure and whips off the top much easier.

Highlight today was catching a head higher and getting 5 slashes off the top before the end. woohoo!
Lowlight was paddling for a head higher at peak and still missing it due to lack of speed!... boy that felt bad!

Hope all this helps someone in the future.  I feel like a test dummy for low volume boards at their weight limit.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 07:56:35 PM »
Nice, in depth review. Being on my first "wet feet" board, I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to catch waves on such a low volume board.

I like to read a good review that covers specifics as you did. Kudos!

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 04:33:49 AM »
Hey Sharksupper, try going back to thruster and bring the certer fin all the way back on the usbox. If it gets too stiff or drivey, just get a smaller fin or move a bit up front (the fin).

When I started surfing thruster i felt the boards had no drive, until the day I moved the fin all the way back. You'll have to step on the board a little bit differently, but once you get it, you'll only go back for barrels or days you need a lot of speed.

I use a PC5 for USbox. No adapter needed.

PS: Don't worry about the weight/low volume. In a couple of weeks/months you'll be doing things you never thought possible both paddling and surfing the board!!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 04:35:35 AM by JohnnyMaya »

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »
Thanks for the tip Johnny, I definitely need to play with the fins a bit and see what works.

I'll be in your neighborhood in a little over a week, staying in Cascias for 10 days.  Looks like there is some good surf there!

ave-

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 10:29:05 AM »
Cool!
If the southerlies persist go to Guincho or come to Peniche.
Some really nice waves here with south winds!
See ya

eeck62

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 12:32:07 AM »
Thanks for the review.  Let us know how the rest of the board and fin testing goes!  This one is definitely on my "short" list.
Me:  6'1" x 180
Board(S): Axis foils: HPS 980, BSC 740, 810, ART 899, 999
Jimmy Lewis Wing Board 4’10” x 23 x 71L
Rawson 7’8” x 26”
Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun 8'2" x 28.3/4 x 99L
Naish Hokua 8'5" x 28 x 115L

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 01:33:36 AM »

Awesome. This described perfectly the first time I took out my 7'6'' hokua now that I have started losing weight I can get back to riding it. DOwn to 190 now...10 more lb.

I had it on the North Shore this weekend, and what a fun board too.

I heavy do you think you be to ride the 8'5''?

Alos the North Shore of Oahu look like it will be all time this weekend.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
The 7'6 GT is stated at 110L, and the 8'5 is 115L.  I would think if you could ride the 7'6 the 8'5 should be no problem.  However, the 8'5 is much narrower which is a factor for balancing.  I have a friend who likes to borrow my 8'5 from time to time and he's 190lbs.  He does ok on it in good conditions, but with any bump, wind, or when he's tired he's falling quite a bit and usually wants to switch boards back after not too long.

It's definitely doable, I've watched my buddy catch waves on it, but I think it is pushing the limit a bit.  Please note we don't have that nice warm bath water over here in N. Cali, so we're in full suits adding 8-10lbs to our weight!   :'(

That said, the 8'5 is my all around favorite board, I love it!  I've ridden it from 170-180lbs and it rocks at everything.

Pic of it underfoot in action attached.

eeck62

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »
taut,
You can try my 8'5.  I am looking to go Sunday morning.  It took a couple sessions to get used get it especially when windy or choppy.  I am thinking smaller at some point, so interested in the 8'3 GT
Me:  6'1" x 180
Board(S): Axis foils: HPS 980, BSC 740, 810, ART 899, 999
Jimmy Lewis Wing Board 4’10” x 23 x 71L
Rawson 7’8” x 26”
Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun 8'2" x 28.3/4 x 99L
Naish Hokua 8'5" x 28 x 115L

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard