Author Topic: Which board and paddle combo?  (Read 1312 times)

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Which board and paddle combo?
« on: September 30, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »
Looking to get a new board and perhaps a new paddle. Currently paddle an old Naish Glide 12. Did a few races this year, liked it but could benefit from something quicker (need all the help I can get!). Probably 14 foot, would be used for recreational racing, light downwinding and general cruising. A lot of the paddling I do is in light chop with boat wakes. I'm 6', 170 lb. Came up with the following choices

1) NSP touring coco 14 + Ke Nalu paddle

2) 2013 Naish Glide 14 AST + $300ish paddle (suggestions?)

3) Wait for a 2014 Naish Glide 14 AST and stick with my current paddle (Naish carbon shaft/white glass blade DJ reviewed previously http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/The-new-Naish-paddle/)

Any advice? Alternative suggestions within budget (<<$2k)? Especially interested in the downwind capabilities of the NSP. Read some positive things from davidjohn and viatormundi but not much else.

Cheers!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which board and paddle combo?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »
The newer (current) 14' Glide will be quicker than your old Glide for sure and so will the new NSP/DC board.. Both a good choice.. But if I were you I'd wait for the new 2014 Glide.. I should have mine in a couple of weeks so they're not far off now.. The new color/graphics and new deck pad and also the new shape handle are all a big improvement.. These board designs are moving fast and the new 2014 Glide is the most recent in design out of the three.. It's basically a big boy version of the Kai Lenny board that he used to win the BOP last w/e.. The paddle you have is still ok but I find them a bit flexy when paddling hard.. There's nothing wrong with a bit of flex and best to be flexy than too stiff.. IMO..  :)

DJ

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Which board and paddle combo?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:32:06 PM »
Cheers DJ, I should have been clearer that it was the older NSP touring 14 coco that I had in mind, the one that did well in the speed tests. Either way, you're probably right, it makes more sense to wait for the new glide, at least then I won't be planning when to upgrade the board I did buy, not immediately anyway! Been eagerly waiting for your write up, hopefully you get the board soon.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal