Author Topic: bocas del toro, panama  (Read 7695 times)

adamrod

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
bocas del toro, panama
« on: September 29, 2013, 01:43:15 PM »
thinking of going to bocas del toro, panama this winter. Any suggestions on places to stay?

I'd prefer just to rent boards to keep the travel easy, so, are SUP rentals common enough?

SUP Boston

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: bocas del toro, panama
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:37:54 AM »
I can't comment on bocas but have been to Playa Venao in Panama several times - it is on the Pacific side and has a great break. Several major surf competitions have been held here... I can help with info on this location if you're open and interested in a different location in Panama.

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:38:43 AM »
Adam- A google search will reveal a few places that rent boards. I would plan on spending a few days in Bocas Town without making a full commitment of where to stay. The islands of Careno, Bastiametos, Solarte, and others are all within paddle distance from there. You could take a few day of exploring and staying at the other islands as well. Just get to Bocas Town and start asking questions. There was no SUP when I was there, but that place seemed like SUP paridise.
   When I was there,some little kid brought me from the ferry to an old womans house that rented 3 of her bedrooms to travelers. I handed her 5 bucks for the night, she hands the boy a dollar, and everyone's happy. By the end of the week a was buying the groceries for it in the morning, and I would come home to a homecooked meal of rondon(make sure you try it when there) It turned out to be a great travel experience. In other words, definitely allow for spontaneity on a trip to Bocas instead of completely planned through.
   If you go we excpect a full write up with pictures!

+1 on Playa Venado on Peninsula D"Azuero
'
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:40:56 AM by piece of 8 »

adamrod

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
Ah, interesting. Yeah, planning on just packing a backpack, but for the dates we are going, most of the spots we've contacted seem booked up, so might book some lodging just to be safe.

Are there decent waves there or is it all flatwater?

Might try to hit up the pacific side too for a few days...

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 07:42:32 PM »
Yes there is surf.

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »
Panama's a pretty special place.
    If you come in from Costa Rica like I did , cross over the railroad bridge from Sixaola. Take a taxi to  Changuinola to check in with your passport. From here you can connect with a bus to Almirante.  From here you would take the ferry to Bocas Town.  This would be a one day trip from Sixaola  to Bocas Town if you plan it well
    If you  want to check out the Pacific coast as well,allow more than a few days.  Take the ferry from Bocas Town to Chirique Grande (you'd come in through here if you were coming by bus from Panama City), and then take the bus ride up and over the mountainous part of Panama where you can see, only in this country, the Atlantic Ocean and Pacific Ocean from the same vantage point. From this trip ,you'd land in  David on the Pacific coast. The town is unremarkable in its existence but a great place to spend the night in a truly tipico Panamanian town.  The trip from Bocas town to David will take all day. If you choose not to stay and hustle, get to Boquette for the night.
   Boquette has a climate of 75 degress at 3.000 ft. ,everyday. Its one of  major coffee growing regions in Panama. This place is well worth a day trip.
   If not, head south to the Peninsula D"Azuero. The details are hazy here because I was hitchhiking with a couple from South Africa and some dude from SoCal with the first live nose ring I'd ever seen, that was long ago. I think it took a couple of days or more to catch rides to La Palma, and a trip to Playa Venado. I camped here one night and there was one bar / restaurant. Its probably changed a lot since then.

Salish Salt

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 09:55:13 PM »
Adam,

May want to avoid Bocus Town around New Years.  Since the archipelago got noticed its became a local party town on Panama Holidays/no empty rooms/lots of empty bottles.  Mostly short boards but there were three places renting a limited selection of SUPs last winter at $20/hr (ESPecial/Island traders was best if the American Owners are still there (they built the "White House"(locals know) but sounded like the growth was getting a bit much for them).  Outside of Bocus Town there are waves and sand and no trash, ect. in the water but its a bit of a paddle or better a couple $ boat taxi.    Other than lots of good food options Bocus Town 2013 was OK for a first two days but i would stay on either Isla Bastimentos (short boat taxi to Town for dinner options) or maybe towards Playa Bluff (rent a bike) for beach, waves, & relaxation for at least part of the time.  Smithsonian Station tour was interesting.  Second Boqueta if you have time.  And not for paddling but 3 days in Panama City were nicer than I expected. 

SUP Boston

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:42:53 AM »
   If not, head south to the Peninsula D"Azuero. The details are hazy here because I was hitchhiking with a couple from South Africa and some dude from SoCal with the first live nose ring I'd ever seen, that was long ago. I think it took a couple of days or more to catch rides to La Palma, and a trip to Playa Venado. I camped here one night and there was one bar / restaurant. Its probably changed a lot since then. 

Definitely has changed a lot in Playa Venao - in fact,  everyone now refers to it as Playa Venao but the correct name is Playa Venado... can't recall the explanation given to me. A few hotels but none are Marriott/Sheraton types, which is a good thing!. A very cool low key vibe... not "touristy".

This hotel recently opened when I was there this past July and talked with the owner a bit. Real nice guy and the prices were reasonable... somewhere in the vicinity of $50 a night.
http://beachbreaksurfcamp.com/

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal