Author Topic: deck pad application  (Read 3765 times)

alawhead

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
deck pad application
« on: September 11, 2007, 06:39:03 PM »
so i am switching from wax to a deck pad.  i have scraped most of the wax off, but what is the best way to make it squecky clean before application.  also   i have  a surftech 12' munoz model.  when i lay the pad on the board to get a rough idea where to put it , it seems to be too far back.  m;y question is what is the optimal placement for the pad.  thanks.

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: deck pad application
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 07:00:22 PM »
A friend who borrowed my 12' Munoz put a pad on it just last week for me. I'll send a pic when I get home of the design and placement. He said he used car wax to super clean off the old wax. I'm sure there are other tricks but he said that worked well.

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 11:38:18 PM »
Not the best shot but....

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 03:32:50 AM »
Cleaning a board with car wax sounds odd. When applying spray-on bed liners they recommend washing the car wax off with Xylol first.

I have used Xylol to wash surf wax off my board. You can find this at Lowes, Home Depot, or hardware stores.

surfstyle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 05:13:47 AM »
Scrape bulk of wax off then use WD-4O. Use windex or other to clean off the WD-4O. works like a charm.

alawhead

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 05:45:15 AM »
the pad i got from the c4 waterman crew is a little shorter, i think, than the pad pictured.  i don't want to cut it so i think i will move it forward.  it came with a stomp pad, but the waves in maine are not that big.  a flatter pad in the back might be better.  the wax removal tips sound good .  i will give them a try.  thanks again for the tips.

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:15:32 PM »
Here is what I did to remove the wax from my board.
1. scrape bulk of wax off board.
2. use mineral spirits and a lot of paper towels to wipe board down. TThis will remove the majority of the resedue off.
3. wash the board with doshsoap, or Mr. Clean and a rag. Scrub it realy good.
4. repeat steps 2 & 3.
5. dry board thoughrly.
6. place pad on board where you want it, with backing still on it. Mark the board, and pad with a pencil, so the lines line up with each other. (hope that makes sence to you).
7. remove about 12" of the backing from one end of the pad, and stick it in place , using the pencil marks to line it up. Make sure the other ensd is still lined up, then press the uncovered end down firmly.
8. lift the pad up to where it is stuck down, and start peeling the backing off. press the pad down as you go, checking allignment as you go.
9. Go through the whole pad and press it down. If you got any air bubbles in it, just put a small slit on the midle of it, with a razor blade (being carefull not to cut through the board). and press the air out.
10. Take it out and hit the water.

This is exactly what I did, and I have had 0 problems with it.
 I think the guy that used "car wax", might have actualy been using car wax remover. It is used in body shops to remove the wax from paint surfaces before they spray the car.

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: deck pad application- car wax
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 06:39:02 PM »
I think the guy that used "car wax", might have actualy been using car wax remover. It is used in body shops to remove the wax from paint surfaces before they spray the car.

I know it sounds wierd but I asked him again and the reply was...

"Yeah..  I got off most of the wax by scraping, then the car wax cleaned and polished it."

alawhead

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 05:55:22 AM »
i used the wd40 approach since i had some around.  that idea works great.  you can get all the reidue off very quickly.  then i just cleaned it a few times with windex.  i am going to try installation in the next few days.  thanks again for the tips.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal