Author Topic: Snapped C4 Pohaku paddles  (Read 10670 times)

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
Snapped C4 Pohaku paddles
« on: August 28, 2007, 09:01:55 AM »
  Has anyone broke the C4 Pohaku paddle before. I have/had a 2 peice 9'' blade Pohaku paddle out for the 3rd session. I was digging hard for a 1'-2' roller and the paddle snapped. I know I was putting a  huge stress load on the shaft as it was flexing when I heard snap thru the stroke.  The bottom part of the shaft split lenght wise about 10- 12 inches along the fiber line.. The epoxyed insert with the'' ss ''button fell out too. That insert was epoxyed into the lower shaft and the upper shaft inserts to the fixed assembly on the lower shaft. That piece that was epoxyed to the bottom shaft was only 3 inches deep into the shaft. I can see if a load and flex is put on the shaft there would be no support in the lower shaft.  A design flaw?    Maybe....    How is the C4 company with returns and warranty stuff. I will call but want to know if anyone has broke, snapped or splintered these or any other paddles before.
     Enjoy your day....
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

climbbikesurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Snapped C4 Pohaku paddles
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 09:56:14 AM »
That really sucks. :(  I hope you didn't get any carbon fiber slivers on you.  It must be hard to see a $300+ paddle break under normal conditions and on your 3rd session.  I was thinking about getting a 2 piece in the future so I'd be curious to hear about your warranty experience and what they think went wrong.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 12:54:46 PM »
Yeah, A friend had one do the same. But he saw the hairline cracks coming from the bottom of the shaft before it broke. They replaced it under warranty. It looks like a factory failure to provide enough epoxy, or whatever they use, where it glues to the blade.

The same type crack people get when they don't glue the handle in. There can be no play or slop at either end.

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 01:17:43 PM »
I tried out the 2 piece C4 and thought that it was a poor design. The connection in the middle was loose and I could feel a wiggle in the stroke. 

Knash

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 03:00:45 PM »
Mine snapped before I used it in the water when I tried to feel the flex.
Phil and Gretchen @ boardworks  replaced it  with a 1 piece asap.I think I'll stick with the 1 peice for now.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 03:45:52 PM »
I tried out the 2 piece C4 and thought that it was a poor design. The connection in the middle was loose and I could feel a wiggle in the stroke. 

I had a 2 piece with zero wiggle and a precision fit. I know from 2 piece windsurfing masts, they are matched sets. If the shop owner mixes the bottom and tops from two different paddles, you get a loose fit.

Could be an error at the shop that sold it, or the people at the factory packing them.

Windsurfers have proven 2 piece works at even higher loads that those paddles. With the same design, joint in the middle.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 06:44:18 PM »
    I just got off the phone w/ C4 waterman. I spoke w/ Gregg and he was totally understanding to my needs and issues with C4 products. They will replace my paddle with a new and improved paddle, as he says. The diameter of the shaft on the new paddles are a little larger and "beefier". When the new paddle arrives, I'm to send back the old one for inspection. I was really stoked that C4 wanted me back on my board and in the water. 
    I was very impressed the way Gregg handled the situation and was able to fulfill my needs of obtaining a new paddle and getting it to me fast.  Everyday companies fall short to satify a client or potential client. The customer service at C4 was top rate and I will recomend their products in a heart beat.  Why?   They stand by their products and offer great customer satisfaction.    Exceeded my expectations.    C4  is Ohana..
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 09:52:08 PM »
Glad to hear that you're getting the paddle replaced so easily- smart company to back up their product. I bought a two piece Pohaku, the micromovement in the shaft started bugging me so I epoxied it together- the thing has been great so far. I did however just order a one piece C4 as a backup, just in case...

A friend bought one of the Whiskey River wood paddles, super lightweight, good looking paddle- but it snapped at the blade the third time he ever used it. Broke on a bottom turn at 33s (Sunset Cliffs)- made by guys in Minnesota- they probably make great canoe paddles but I'd stick with the Hawaiians on the stand up stuff.

boots

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 09:56:16 PM »
I've got a 2 peice pohaku and have used it for the past year. It's got a little wiggle when its put together, but i've never had and problems with it. What I've done with it now is I took the push pin out that holds it together, then wrapped some teflon plumbers tape on the ferral that slides into the top portion of the shaft to eliminate the wiggle. After I slide the two shafts together, I wrap the outside in clear packaging tape to keep it water tight, then wrap colored electrical tape around that. The paddle feels strong as heck and responds just like a one piece. And, when I travel to another island i can still un tape it and travel with it. Only problem is that you cant take it apart after every session, but you get the strength and feel of a one peice, and the benefit of a two piece for traveling.

Pohaku Paddles

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 09:49:54 AM »
Hey gang thanks for the input on the 2 pc paddles. We know of the problem and in an effort to make the lightest 2 pc with our new Paddle machinery we had a run of paddles that where not beefed up enough at the joint, we have fixed the problem and More then happy to stand by our products and replace  any of these that have had a problem.     We still have hundreds of 2 pc paddles out there that do not have any probelms and been in use for over 2 yrs.       I tell customers the 1 pc paddle is  always superior but if you must have convienece then the 2 pc is what you need. 

Lastly the force that are placed on SUP paddle shafts are huge and addressing all the details to insure  a 2 pc withstands  those has been tough, but our new OVAL shaft 2 pc has the striength quilities we hope addresses  these issues 
Again thank you your input it is very helpful.  and know that C4 always stands by there products if any problems occur.
Aloha,Todd Bradley

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 12:41:37 PM »
You guys definitely have my vote!

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 01:17:57 PM »
Hi Todd,
 Thanks for the kind words to all the SUP boarders who use this site and SUP watermen around the world. I just wanted to see if anyone else had broke a shaft while paddling under normal use. I know other outside factors can and have played a roll in breaking paddles. ( misuse of a paddle , huge waves,  banging them in transport, ect...) It will happen. It's an evolving sport and will continue to grow everyday.
   I called the shop that sold me the paddle and they were unsure of the procedures of warranty. I called C4 for info and asked what are my options. As stated in the earlier post, I was really impressed and satisfied. You have a great company providing superior products and should be proud of your staff. I being the hospitality business myself, I know customer satisfaction and anticipating the needs of a guest..
    Looking forward to your input on this site and will be a loyal customer to C4 Waterman.   
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 01:20:46 PM by gjbsup »
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

surfstyle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 06:08:59 AM »
I snapped a surftec last night in chest high surf while stroking into a set wave. I knew it was going to break, I had been hearing strange sounds from the paddle for the last few weeks.  Prior to the surftec I snapped a C4. I have been surfing and kayaking for 20 years I am 6'3" 230lbs and ride a SOS Big Red.  The Surftec was not the Laird, that one had a super thin shaft wall. I wanted to know if any paddle makers would be at Surf  Expo in Orlando this Sept.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 07:50:36 AM »
i've been hearing that a few are going to be there.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

surfstyle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 05:55:56 AM »
Do you have any names, I will need to hunt them down.Thanks

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard